Squatting parallel?

Options
charleigh78
charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
I can't. It is like my body just doesn't do such a thing :sad: Will it come with time? Do I just do my best for now? Ugh

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Do you mean that your legs won't bend that far, or are so using so much weight that you won't be able to get back up if you go that far down?
  • charleigh78
    Options
    Do you mean that your legs won't bend that far, or are so using so much weight that you won't be able to get back up if you go that far down?

My legs won't bend that far, even with zero weight :/
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Lots of things you can do to help. Starting with mobility work. Warm up your hips, quads and hamstrings, use a foam roller or a tennis or lax ball. It'll help a bit.

Next, check out some technique videos and try box squats or squats with a moderate load in front to see if you can get deeper with a counter balance. Make sure your weight stays on your heels. Play with stance width and bar placement.

Your body CAN squat deeper. You just need to give it time to adjust and find out how it works for you :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree with Krok...

for me depending on my foot placement, angle etc it's difficult for me to get below parallel.

Feet shoulder width apart pointing forward..yah okay...:noway: I can get just parallel..

Feet just shoulder width apart toes pointed out ATG...

Check with the empty bar or broom stick with different foot placement and width of legs...
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Like what Stef said, try with a wider stance and with your toes pointing more outward. If I keep my feet shoulder-width apart and toes pointing straight forward, I can't hit parallel either even with no added weights. Someone posted an article a while back that showed different people's hip anatomy and due to that, some people can't hit parallel (or lower) using what is commonly thought of as "perfect" form for squats. Long story short, using just your body weight play around with how far apart your feet are and where your toes are pointing and see how far you can get!
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'll add a little side note to this: before I adjusted my stance: width and toes -- I suffered from a very long recovery time and feeling generally 'over trained' in my hips and glutes.

Now that I've got my stance dialed in that hasn't occurred. This is a huge relief to me because until I 'fixed' it there were days I kind of had hesitation and fear going into a fully loaded, full ROM squat.
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options
    No idea if this is an issue, but in trying to clarify squatting form (I think) I confirmed that knees should follow the toes and go outwards. Watched this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwtpI_MPiwQ

I don't have a resistance band, but I do try to think about it when I squat.
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    What does it feel when you can't go any further? Do you have pain? Do you feel like you're overstretching something?

If you like, feel free to do a form check video with us and maybe we can give you pointers on stance and where you could do some mobility work. :)
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I don't seem to have much consistency in the width of my legs and the pointing of my toes, but it does seem easier in certain positions.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to have much consistency in the width of my legs and the pointing of my toes, but it does seem easier in certain positions.

I didn't either at first then I decided enough was enough and (since I work out at home) I took a sharpie marker and marked where my toes were when I was my most comfortable on the pads on my floor.

Now there is no questions.

I know not all can do that but if you can...go for it.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Bump for good info and links...
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options

I didn't either at first then I decided enough was enough and (since I work out at home) I took a sharpie marker and marked where my toes were when I was my most comfortable on the pads on my floor.

Now there is no questions.

I know not all can do that but if you can...go for it.

^This! Little pieces of tape that you can take off again easily would work too.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    It's a good idea, but I squat at a gym.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. Flexibility is one of my issues, along with being a little tall with a long torso doesn't make it any easier. A wider stance and toes pointed helps. I keep the weight light until I can get lower and I do sumo squats to help. Keep working at it!
  • charleigh78
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. I will keep trying. I do have some structural issues with my hips that might make it impossible, but I want to try my best. My hips are impinged and retroverted. The movement in my hips is not what a normal hip allows. This leads to naturally tight IT bands, etc. Again, I want to take all of your advice and try, try, try anyway!

Thanks so much.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    How do you squat to sit down on the toilet or in a chair? :) Maybe see what position your feet are in when you go to sit down?

I would try to put a box down on the ground and squat down until your butt taps the box and then stand back up.