Liquor or Beer

Options
const1ar
const1ar Posts: 18 Member
Hey guys I am in need of some advice for this problem I am having that I am sure others have experienced! So, I weigh in on Fridays which is all good and well, but then over the weekend I gain right around 5 pounds (literally overnight). Now that it is getting to be nicer weather my gf and I like to go tubing or take our dog to the park which usually includes having a few beers..one of my guy friends told me that its bc beer makes you bloat and to drink liquor but from doing WW I know that liquor and beer have the same amount of carbs etc. I lose the 5 pounds over the course of the week plus my usual 1 or 2 pounds but is it really normal to be fluctuating up to 7 pounds in a 4 day period (first thing in the morning weigh ins)..I thought maybe it was water weight but if I do not drop to under 1,500 cals a day during the week the 5 pounds will stay, which does not really make any sense as I am clearly not eating 17,000 calories over in 2 days..someone help me understand! :/

Replies

• ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yeah, its normal. It happens to me as well. I only count calories during the week, and do whatever I want on the weekends. Which usually means I'm eating processed foods and way too much alcohol.:smile: Since processed foods are filled with sodium usually, it makes me retain water and therefore the scale goes up. I weigh in on Wed or Thursday when I've gotten back to eating healthy and the water retention is done.
  • const1ar
    const1ar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    makes sense lol thats what I have been chalking it up to..I try not to do processed foods but were on such a tight budget its hard to do it all the time but yea weekends are probably worse with the cookouts and bonfires haha pasta salad is going to be the death of me this summer =] Thanks for the help
  • mrw1480
    mrw1480 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Alcohol calories aren't the whole story. One serving of alcohol can slow your metabolism by 30% (source: Dean Ornish's "Eat More, Weigh Less'). Alcohol is a form of sugar, and it's metabolized differently as well, which is why Weight Watchers has a different calculator for alcohol points than for food points. I used to love my 1-point beers (several a day in fact) until those same beers turning into 4-pointers! And on a ~30 point daily budget, those beers got expensive! So relaxing my food diet on weekends AND adding alcohol is like double-sabotage. So I try to stick with good foods and no alcohol at least two weekends a month.