Overweight & pregnant

Hello Ladies,

When I got pregnant I was right about 200 pounds at 5'7. I did not gain anything the first trimester. In my second trimester I was shocked to see that I put on 7 pounds in one month during one of my doctors visits. Since then I have been obsessive about exercising everyday and really watching what I eat.

What have you guys been doing to manage your weight gain? How much are you aiming to gain?

Replies

• Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    In my first pregnancy, my pre-pregnancy BMI (201 lbs at 5'4") put me in the obese category and so I tried to follow the recommendation to gain no more than 20 lbs. I think I gained 16 lbs total? My weight gain definitely spiked in the second trimester and I remember that surprising me too, but it is a common thing. Overall, I weighed daily to make sure that I wasn't surprised at the midwife's office and so I could monitor myself. I'd definitely recommend it. It just became part of my routine -- I didn't let the fluctuations get to me, I just tried to pay attention to how quickly I was seeing new higher numbers and be more mindful of what I was eating.

Next pregnancy, I want to track my calories in/out more closely and stick to a goal. The first time, simply weighing everyday gave me enough feedback that I could keep things in check.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    I started 190 and 5'5" (31 BMI - obese). I am now 36 weeks pregnant at 203 lbs. I have gained 13 lbs so far through diet and exercise.
    I eat approximately 1800 calories/day on most days (sometimes more, sometimes less). I exercised about 5-7 days/week until the last 2-ish weeks (I am full of excuses to NOT do it). I wear a FitBit to help me monitor my activity and motivate me to move a little more. I think the Fitbit has made a huge difference in my self-motivation to move around a little more.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    The second trimester is the WORST! But I think it's normal to see some crazy gains, it doesn't mean everything has spun out of control, just that there is a lot of growing and energy-using going on inside of you.
  • K_Parkman
    K_Parkman Posts: 12
    Nedra,

How has your weight loss been going?
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    During my first pregnancy, I weighed 150lbs at 5'1" (overweight Bmi) & gained 34lbs. Basically ate whatever I wanted & was on bedrest so no exercise. I was down to 158lbs during my 6 week post partum checkup.

This is my second pregnancy, and I'm closely monitoring my calories (1800+ exercise calories). I started at 109lbs & plan on gaining 25-35lbs. I'm 7 weeks pregnant & too sick to workout too much. I've gained probably a pound thus far.

Looks like you're right on track! Keep exercising & eating healthy & you'll gain all that you need to gain.
  • K_Parkman
    K_Parkman Posts: 12
    During my first pregnancy, I weighed 150lbs at 5'1" (overweight Bmi) & gained 34lbs. Basically ate whatever I wanted & was on bedrest so no exercise. I was down to 158lbs during my 6 week post partum checkup.

This is my second pregnancy, and I'm closely monitoring my calories (1800+ exercise calories). I started at 109lbs & plan on gaining 25-35lbs. I'm 7 weeks pregnant & too sick to workout too much. I've gained probably a pound thus far.

Looks like you're right on track! Keep exercising & eating healthy & you'll gain all that you need to gain.

Wow Alex,

You lost a lot between those pregnancies. How big of a role would you say breastfeeding played in that?
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    I was overweight with all three of my pregnancies and my goal was to keep food down. I was sick with all of them for the first 35 weeks. I gained 11 with my first, 19 with my second, and 15 with my last. The last 5 weeks were the hardest because I was always hungry and I could actually keep stuff down. I eliminated all snacks that weren't "healthy" - no chips, no soda, etc. I would go for cheese and crackers instead, carrots, apples. I ate smaller meals too. With all three, I had a lower weight post-pregnancy than pre-pregnancy immediately after birth. I breastfed all three and it does help a lot with dropping weight. I recommend increasing your calorie amount. If I don't eat enough, I get light-headed very quickly.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    I'm 5'8" and started out this pregnancy at 150lb, so just squeaking by on the normal BMI. I've gained 21lb and I'm at 28 weeks. Since I was at the top of my BMI scale I was hoping to gain 25lbs, but I'll be happy if its under 30lb.

I gained the most weight in my second trimester with my previous pregnancy, and it looks like that will be the pattern for this one too. I think most women do, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I use pretty much the same strategies to manage my weight now as I did before I was pregnancy. Lots of water, fruits, veggies, beans, lentils, whole grains, healthy fats and lean meats. Now that its summer my husband has been firing up the grill. The big thing that changed for me was breakfast. Breakfast was always take it or leave it for me, but now I find if I don't eat breakfast I get very lightheaded and end up eating anything. My go to breakfasts are omelets, quiches, and chickpea pancakes. I cook up big batches of dried beans, portion them out, and have them with salad for work most days. When I buy meat I portion that out too, so all I have to do is thaw and cook. When I do anything besides work, like grocery shopping or errands, I make sure there are either leftovers or I'll get some premade food from the store.

I sub out a lot of carbs for veggies. I rarely eat bread, but eat a small amount of rice most days. Thinly sliced zucchini instead of noodles in lasagna or mixing pasta with julienned sliced veggies. Stir fries that are mostly protein and veggies. Getting away from the mindset "I must have a carb with all my meals" took some doing, but now I'm perfectly happy to sit down to a plate of grilled chicken and fresh salad.

If I need to cut down on my weight gain I'll sub a few meals for green smoothies and/or brothy vegetable soups over the course of a week or so. That way I am still getting calories and loads of nutrients, but I find it really helps. I'll usually substitute dinner because that is the meal I am the least hungry anyways.

I bring fruit to snack on during the day while at work. Cherries and grapes are my favorite because they are already bite sized, but apples and bananas make frequent appearances too. Sometimes I like peaches heated with some milk, honey, and shredded coconut. I get a major sweet tooth when I'm pregnant or just generally tired, but eating fruit consistently cuts way down on that.

I haven't been exercising nearly as much as I was before pregnancy, but just keeping up with my 3 year old keeps me fairly active and I still have at least 40 minutes of walking built into my daily routine. I'm not really pushing myself so much to exercise. My priorities now are working to support my family and making sure I still have enough energy at the end of the day to do activities with my daughter and not be a completely absentee wife. ;)
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    I'm 5'10", and I started out my first pregnancy around 190 lbs (after losing 70 lbs the previous 2 years for my wedding). I ended that pregnancy around 240 when I gave birth. I ate anything and everything that pregnancy, didn't really keep myself in check... although at least 12 lbs of it was water weight with swelling, etc... I was back down to 212 within two months of delivery (I was breastfeeding).
    Unfortunately for me, we were renovating at the time and I didn't have a kitchen. We ate a lot of take out and crummy foods, and by the time my son was 1, I weighed 250 lbs again.

I managed to drop down to 240 before getting pregnant this time, and then I dropped down to 222 lbs within the first Trimester from morning sickness and cutting out junk food, etc...

Currently, I'm 21 weeks, and I've only put 2 lbs back on. (so I'm -15 lbs from start weight yet)

I absolutely HAVE to weigh myself every morning (although I occasionally miss a day here and there) or the weight creeps back on without my noticing. Because I'm so tall, I can gain over 10 lbs before I notice the change in my clothing. I weigh myself daily, pregnant or not. It really helps with my food choices.

I'm also trying to eat as clean as possible. I average around 1800 calories a day. I'm not necessarily limiting my calories, but I only eat when I'm actually hungry (not just bored, etc...) and I stop eating once I'm satisfied (not stuffed, or plate cleaned, etc...). I think that's helped with keeping my weight gain in check.

Also... drinking tons of water helps keep me feel full and hydrated. I hate plain water all the time, so I'll flavor mine with either lemon or some sort of water flavoring occasionally.

A note about breastfeeding:

I lost quite a bit of my baby weight initially while breastfeeding, then it sort of tapered off. (as I said, I was eating poorly) But I actually started gaining weight around the time that my son started sleeping through the night. The reason being, he cut out probably 4-5 feeds by doing that... and I didn't adjust my caloric intake when he did.
    So if you're planning to breastfeed and lose weight, keep close track of your weight and calorie intake. Once the baby starts cutting back on feeds, you'll need to cut back a smidge on calories as well.

The general rule of thumb is that you need 500 extra calories when breastfeeding, and not to cut back or you'll lose milk supply. I personally have found that my food intake didn't come anywhere near close to affecting my milk supply as much as my water intake did! So if you're trying to lose weight, obviously don't be drastic about your calories but I wouldn't be afraid to reduce them a little as long as you're drinking tons of water. I aim to drink at least 8-12 oz every time I sit down to breastfeed.

By the way, if it's your first time breastfeeding... while everyone is different, it makes you both thirsty and hungry! So try to have a healthy snack and a water bottle every time you nurse.
  • seidel1325
    seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
    KALYRRA...Thanks for your comment on breastfeeding and the recommended adjustments.
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    KALYRRA...Thanks for your comment on breastfeeding and the recommended adjustments.

You're welcome! I realize that everyone is going to be different, but that was just my experience. :flowerforyou: Is this your first, and you're planning to breastfeed? If you want, I can email you something I wrote up for a friend... it's basically stuff I learned while breastfeeding, tips, etc... It's all based on my own experience, but if you'd like, I wouldn't mind sending it to you. I certainly wish I would have learned more about it first!
  • itisjessdarling
    itisjessdarling Posts: 46 Member
    I was considered obese when I got pregnant with my first and second child. Even so the doctor told me to gain at least 25lbs.

75e17110-d356-4a25-a427-b9b97a28e3df_zpsa3407fdb.gif
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member

Wow Alex,

You lost a lot between those pregnancies. How big of a role would you say breastfeeding played in that?

I actually put on weight while breast feeding. I ended up putting on 9lbs that first year. I lost so much the first 2 months because I was so tired. Once I got used to a routine, I started eating whatever I wanted aka junk food! I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep the weight off while breast feeding this time around!
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Nedra,

How has your weight loss been going?

Sorry, I didn't see this until now...

I lost all the baby weight within a week of giving birth.

Then I was exhausted and sedentary for the first year of my daughter's life and gained almost all that weight again. Around her first birthday I found out about MFP, set my goal to lose 1 lb per week and dropped 21 lbs in 3 months.

Then I got pregnant again. :-)

So now I am starting another pregnancy with an obese BMI, but I am feeling a lot more confident that I can keep the gain -- both during pregnancy and postpartum -- in check.
  • emilyal83
    emilyal83 Posts: 11 Member
    7 weeks pregnant- started with an obese BMI (5'5 and 202lbs). Hoping to maintain through the 1st and 2nd tri and allowing for a 5-10 lb weight gain during the 3rd (per my doctor's request). Hoping that eating healthy in my 2nd tri is going to kick me into shape because even though I have been trying in my 1st tri, all I can seem to stomach right now are carbs which makes me worried. No weight gain, no weight loss yet...but hoping with healthy eating and exercise (walking/light weights) 5 times a week, I can keep my weight gain to a minimum. I gained 70 with my first 10 years ago and only lost 40...then got pregnant 10 months later with my daughter and gained 23 lbs or which I'm only managed to lose 18 of and have maintained the same weight for about 8 years now. Pregnancy starting weight is higher than my other two so just have to stay focused on keeping it healthy and exercising even though I'm EXHAUSTED and could fall asleep at any given moment :) zzzzzzzzz
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    When I got pregnant the first time I was about 245-250, after haveing my first I dropped down to 230 at lowest.... I was off work for about 7 months after having her and living in NE Ohio winter is rough to exercise in so i quit.... Now Im at 260 and pregnant with my second and I am TERRIFIED of reaching 300lbs :( I don't think it will happen but I that fear is on my mind constantly. I try to watch what Im eating and I do go to the gym everyday for about an hour (depending on morning sickness & fatigue). I also have a desk job which makes being active during the day hard too.

DId I mention how excited I am to be in a group like this!! It makes this process a little less scary :)
  • emilyal83
    emilyal83 Posts: 11 Member
    When I got pregnant the first time I was about 245-250, after haveing my first I dropped down to 230 at lowest.... I was off work for about 7 months after having her and living in NE Ohio winter is rough to exercise in so i quit.... Now Im at 260 and pregnant with my second and I am TERRIFIED of reaching 300lbs :( I don't think it will happen but I that fear is on my mind constantly. I try to watch what Im eating and I do go to the gym everyday for about an hour (depending on morning sickness & fatigue). I also have a desk job which makes being active during the day hard too.

DId I mention how excited I am to be in a group like this!! It makes this process a little less scary :)

How far along are you?