Check in June 14, 2014

Options
blondageh
blondageh Posts: 923 Member
Good Morning!

I got next to nothing. Just wanted to get today started and see how everyone is holding up?

Stick to our calorie limits. Log every bite. Weigh and measute. Drink half our weight in water and if you can, try to move a little. That's about it. If you are doing the mini, watch your sugars! And know if you are extra grumpy that is likely why but you will come out of it feeling better with less craving mg s in the end.

Good luck.

Replies

• KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hello lovelies! Looks like it will be a quiet Saturday in here. I'm off to the gym for a swim and then spending the evening with a long lost friend.

No sugar for me and BOOM no fast food or night eating yesterday. One day at a time!!!

Smooches to all,
    Karen in Maine
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Way to go Karen! So yesterdays end of school celebration was too much temptation for me sugar-wise (which I had anticipated) so I am not punishing myself. However, it did get me thinking about the specifics of no sugar:

1. Does this apply to all non-fruit sugars? Bread, pasta, rice?
    2. What about salad dressings?

Just curious where everyone is drawing the line on sugars.

How is everyone doing today? I'm trying to persuade the hubs to go swimming with me.

Angie
  • blondageh
    Options
    We still haven't left to go swimming. Husband has a bad tummy. Daughter decided to play dress up so I thought that called for a tea party.
    C360_2014-06-14-12-06-02-438_zpsvpo4r97f.jpg
  • blondageh
    Options
    As far as the no sugars, I think Karen said at your discretion but I am trying to watch my sugar count in my macros and the carbs. I don't do breads pastas anyways so this isn't that hard for me. I rarely hit my sugar unless I have a lot of fruit or carbs. So, I think keeping an eye on your sugar macros is a good start because they are set pretty let by mfp
  • Macrelmar
    Macrelmar Posts: 49
    Options
    The tea party set up is adorable!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Heather, your daughter is so adorable! Thanks for the b pic.

About the sugar--I didn't set any hard, fast rule. What I do is look at ingredient labels and if I see corn syrup or sugar, I don't use it. I don't count natural sugars in fruit. I didn't become morbidly obese by eating oranges. Trigger foods for me include foods that have a high glycemic index, so pasta, antthing with white flour, potatoes--sugar conversion foods. For the mini challenge, I'm avoiding sugar and limiting sugar substitutes. I'm avoiding trigger foods just because they cause sugar cravings.

So far I'm really liking this mini challenge because it's so short--I KNOW I can do this! It's not easy, and, of course, this weekend is just full of temptations! But I like knowing that I DO have control and willpower and can use it. I think about how people with diabetes have to make restrictive choices every day, or my uncle who has such terrible cholesterol issues he had to give up so many of his favorite foods. These are life and death choices, right? Well, I need to see my own choices in that light. I'm not going to die tomorrow if I eat a donut, but every time I put something l like that in my mouth, I really am choosing death over life.

I know some people will argue that I need to make room for" treat" food in my life. Even my eating disorder shrink thinks so. What I want to do is learn to make some really healthy, delicious" treats" (like the ice cream made ny blending frozen banana and almond butter), something more natural and organic, more paleo, made with honey or organic maple syrup, not the processed crap that I have been poisoning my body with.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I just had a late lunch with hubs and am heading into the pool for laps. Hopefully tomorrow will be a swim in the lake day as the temps are supposed to hit 71! Yay!

Karen in Maine
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends. Well today is a much calmer day, thank goodness. Cody's infected cyst hasn't really decreased in size since coming home from the hospital but it hasn't gotten bigger either. So for right now, I'm just watching it. Really hoping it starts getting smaller. If it doesn't then we have to go back to the ER and the doctor will open it up and drain it which he really didn't want to do. He says if he drains it that way, it makes it more difficult to remove the cyst when it finally goes down.

So far I'm doing pretty good with the sugars. Keeping them in check. I'm really hoping the water in the complex pool warms up this week so I can start swimming every day.

Karen, I absolutely love your life and death analogy. I had never thought of it in that light but it is oh so true. Thank you for bringing that up. Like you, I'm really trying hard to keep those "treats" a much more nutritional treat. When the guys are eating their ice cream, I choose to make a very thick fruit protein shake. It goes down similar to ice cream or a milk shake but is way better for me. I used to think of it as settling for a protein shake and that I was denying myself the ice cream. But I now see that I am choosing healthy and not denying myself anything.

Dee in MO
  • IlluminatedMayhem
    Options
    I'm having the worst PMS ever. My girls don't ever want to sleep. Hubby and I are both overtired and cranky and we keep snapping at each other. It doesn't help that hubby has convinced me to let our 2-year-old sleep in bed with us. Yes, she's sleeping better but I'm sleeping worse.

Between the stress and PMS, today I'm alternating between so hungry I can eat a horse (and craving sweets like crazy) to so nauseous I don't even look at food.

I just have to make it through the next few days and it'll all work out.
  • IlluminatedMayhem
    Options
    Your daughter is so cute.
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi all! This weekend is off to a fun but not healthy start. I went to a baby shower earlier and just grabbed the food without really thinking about it (little sammiches, fruit salad, mini cupcake, mimosa, barely a protein in sight). I didn't go crazy or anything, but I could have made better choices. Thennnn we went to a friend's housewarming where I had a beer. I'm about to go to the gym to do some walking. I'm just frustrated at how easy it is to eat an enormous amount of calories if you're not being super vigilant. I'm struggling to find a good balance between obsessing and being mindful.

On the plus side, I got a new armband for my phone! My old one was falling apart, leaving icky black gunk on my arm, and had a metal part that would dig into my skin if it was at the wrong angle. So hooray for that!

Heather, your daughter is too precious!
  • blondageh
    Options
    Thank you all. She is! We took nap and are finally going to pool sans Daddy. My swimsuit is dead. Just noticed the sides are thinning and it sags every where else. Found one I really want but I don't have the $60. Prayers bank man doesn't turn me down. Got a call today loan is going to underwriters but I have a bad feeling. Trying to rebuild credit but keep getting denied because of lack of credit. Ha. Ain't that funny.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Had a nice day int he city at the paper store. Bought lots of fun papers and then went home. Had lunch at Baja Fresh and didn't have a chance to look at the online nutritional information before ordering so used a few more calories then expected but I have no regrets. Took both bikes into the bike store to have them tuned up and purchased a helmet, light and lock. Now I am ready to hit the road, but I might go to the road safety demonstration workshop first. Need to get some work done and then go for a walk as the fathers day 5k is tomorrow.
  • Macrelmar
    Macrelmar Posts: 49
    Options
    I hear you Norah, on the "it's so easy to rack up calories) I ate mindlessly tonight? Ice cream and m& m's ! I don't eat sugar. :-( over 600 extra calories. If I had looked up the calories and been mindful, I would NOT have eaten it. Lesson learned, look first. Maryellen, mindful planned foods...tomorrow's a new day!
  • blondageh
    Options
    I think I see a triathlon in Patrick's future. Awesome.

I am beat. Just finally ate some dinner after swimming and playing. It was a good day.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Oh, good luck with your 5K tomorrow, Pat! How exciting!!

Hello and goodnight to everyone-let's hope your struggles are less and your blessings are more tomorrow.

I had a good day--stayed away from sugar, ate portion controlled, swam laps, one of those rare days when I was stronger than all the temptations, YAY! But...I left my friend's house at 10:00 p m. and started thinking of all the places I could stop on the way home to grab something to eat (I had some diet ginger ale that must have triggered me, because I was STARVING). Anyway, I negotiated and promised I could eat toast and eggs at home if still hungry. Instead, I ate some Bing cherries at home and drank more water and now am good. Victory!

I hope that this will become habit---not giving in to the cravings but just riding them out or finding a healthier alternative. My body and mind are so much happier.
    Karen