Whovian Weekly Watchalong Week 4: The Time of Angels

Options
benaddict
benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
This week's episode is... The Time of Angels!

Time-of-Angels-8.jpg

"'The Time of Angels' is the fourth episode in the fifth series of British science fiction television series Doctor Who, first broadcast on 24 April 2010 on BBC One. It is the first episode of a two-part story written by showrunner Steven Moffat and directed by Adam Smith. Moffat utilised the two-part episode to bring back a couple of his previous creations: the Weeping Angels from his series three episode 'Blink,' and River Song from the series four episodes 'Silence in the Library' and 'Forest of the Dead.' The Doctor and his companion Amy Pond are summoned by River Song, a mysterious woman from the Doctor's future. She takes them to the planet Alfava Metraxis, where the spaceship Byzantium has crashed. Hidden inside is a Weeping Angel, a creature that can only move when unobserved by others. With the help of Father Octavian and his militarised clerics, the Doctor, Amy and River Song travel through a stone labyrinth to reach the ship. On the way, they discover that all the statues in the maze are Angels, which are slowly restoring and planning to trap them in the labyrinth."

Once you've watched the episode, come back and post your thoughts!

What was your favorite quote or scene?
Who's your favorite character in this episode?
What did you not like about the episode?
Post any gifs or photos of the episode.
And post anything else you'd like to share with the group!

Come back throughout the week to read and respond to everyone else's posts. If you have any questions or anything you'd like to add, don't hesitate to message me!

weepingangel.jpg

Replies

• benaddict
    Options
    I'm looking forward to watching this one again. I like the angels, they're spooky and creepy and this episode develops them well. I also like Iain Glen, although I knew him first as Jorah Mormont from Game of Thrones so hearing his voice in Doctor Who I keep expecting Daenerys Targaryen to show up... lol! And I love the Doctor being so frustrated with River knowing stuff about him and knowing how to drive the TARDIS better than he does. I enjoy River's sass.
  • heather_hearts_travel
    heather_hearts_travel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to this one, too!
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Have to wait until later to watch it, but I'll just go ahead and throw in a favorite bit of sillyness

1bcf63dbdec40f6a3452fd513f471e17.jpg

The Meeping Angels
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Favorite scene goes to the Doctor's speech in the end, "One thing you never put in a trap..."
    My favorite character is Angel Bob. I love how even though its the Angel's communication, its still polite, apologetic Bob.
    Least favorite aspect of the episode is a big one for me, as I usually have to search for something to find fault with. I already had my answer for this one however. The first time I watched this, the moment they pointed out they were in a maze full of statues, my first thought was "HOLY *BLEEP* THEY'RE SURROUNDED BY BATTERED WEEPING ANGELS!?!" Yet the Doctor can't figure it out?
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It seems everyone gets to pose in this episode. The Doctor gets to be crazy and bad *kitten*. River gets to be sassy, and gets in a trade mark free fall. Amy is the only one not getting the planet exploring fun she wanted. Still my favorite part is when the Doctor bites Amy to make her forget her hand turned to stone. She's all "You bit me! You left a mark!" Can't make out what she says just before it but "Space teeth!" gets me every time.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    tumblr_md6pq9mxdj1qhap1n.gif
    I totally practice blinking one eye at a time just in case I ever am in a situation like this!

tumblr_mp2bk7lyRC1qb99yzo6_250.gif
    This bit gets me every time! So funny!

tumblr_mnf7wyqkle1qbb7f3o7_250.gif
    I love this bit where we find out that the iconic noise is only heard because the Doctor leaves the breaks on.

tumblr_m8pmcaevLG1ru2zwxo1_400.gif
    I also completely adore how sassy River gets to be in this episode. I just wish they had played her off of Nine a bit.. SO MUCH SASS that we missed out on.
  • benaddict
    Options
    I believe I heard somewhere that when River falls on top of the Doctor, it was one of the first few days of Matt Smith and Alex Kingston working together... haha.

These angels are creepy looking. Somehow it's scarier when their faces have started to deteriorate... even though the Doctor says they're weaker that way because their image is their power.

Angels displace you in time unless they need the bodies for something - so I guess they needed these to communicate?

Angels never move when we (the audience) are looking at them. I like that. :smile:

Favorite lines:

"Well it's just boring now, isn't it?! They're boring-ers, they're the blue boring-ers!" - The Doctor, after River uses the blue stabilizers.

"I'll never get done saving you." - The Doctor (referring to humans)

I also love the trap line: "If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap: Me."

In regards to the Doctor not realizing the statues were all angels, he says "Low-level perception filter, or maybe we're just thick."

The "space teeth" line goes like this according to Netflix captions: "Blimey, your teeth! Have you got space teeth?!" :laugh:
  • TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    Hope hun this is just for you :flowerforyou: Enjoy! :bigsmile:

10478726_480174718779224_8620214566499016659_n.jpg
  • benaddict
    Options
    Hahaha that's awesome!! Love it!! :love:
  • heather_hearts_travel
    Options
    Hope hun this is just for you :flowerforyou: Enjoy! :bigsmile:

10478726_480174718779224_8620214566499016659_n.jpg

Okay - that's just made of awesome. :happy:
  • heather_hearts_travel
    Options
    Man, the Angels creep me out.

I also love River in this episode! "Oh, I'm going to be a professor some day!" I agree with RHW - definitely a missed opportunity to have her interact with Eccleston. That would have been amazing.

Had to watch the second part right after - they're kind of blurring. Will wait for the next post to comment more!
  • benaddict
    Options
    Yeah it was hard not to watch the next one right away... I'm getting ready to post this week's thread now!
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ok anyone else dream of sand in their eye after watching this?

We split the two episodes because it was late when we started this one. So I went to bed on a cliff hanger.

We loved Doctor River Song's introduction although I about had a heart attack when my husband was like "Who is that?" all innocent. I almost paused the damn thing to clue him in. But after a few key words it all came back to him and he remembered her and her "spoilers".

toa1.jpg

Her comfort in the TARDIS was awesome and hilarious.