Check in June 15

Options
Hello gals & guys, not sure if this is how to start our discussion but I didn't see anything posted some thought I'd go for it!

I'm on my elliptical, for the first time in years, I'm moving my body! Yeah...

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

Glad to be here today. Bad eating last night, way over yesterday.. Key word OVER, I'm over t today. Another YEAH.

Replies

• KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hey Mac,
    Congrats on getting your body moving!

I keep repeating to myself, Start where you are, Use what you have, Do what you can. Embrace yourself now, love yourself to a healthier place.

You're on an elliptical! Whether for 60 seconds or 20 minutes, it's a fabulous day.
    Karen
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Good morning, duckies!
    I have busy, active plans for the day because finally we have Sun in freaking Maine. I may put away the ice scraper today. I'm temporarily waylaid by something nasty in my abdomen. I don't know what.... could be cramps from ovulating--sometimes my right ovary likes to do that. For heaven's sake, I'm 50 and morbidly obese, we can stop ovulation ANY time now!!! Gallbladder? Feels too low. Revenge of the Mayan salad I ate yesterday? I don't know, but heating pad is on and I raided my vicodin stash for this one. Hopefully it'll pass quickly. I have lake swimming to do!!!

Less than 24 hours left of the sugar free mini challenge. Wow, did I need this to break the cycle of reaching for sweets!!! I wonder if anyone would be up for a bread-free mini challenge? Not that bread is necessarily evil, but simply to make us try alternatives, like lettuce wraps or tomato stuffed with t u n.a. instead of a sandwich. I know the challenges are too much for some people. Start where you are! Do what you can! No. Judgement. But definitely expectations that we are all here to work our programs toward wellness, so don't be afraid to push yourself now and then. For the first time in weeks, I am actually looking forward to getting on the scale tomorrow. I know it will be down. It's a relief!

Well, there's my rambling. Belly starting to uncramp, YAY. Now I need to dig around in the closet to find a swimsuit for Heather from our swimsuit lake collection (I buy end of season clearance of towels and suits). Norah, I'm STILL carrying around your bling. I'll try to post a pic later. Trip to post office is definitely scheduled for tomorrow! If I win the sugar challenge, I'm getting myself a new vintage piece from etsy. My husband loves that I love $10 jewelry!

Have a glorious Sunday, everyone!
    Karen in Maine
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    As a BREAD lover, remmber, I am the one who can eat a whole bag of raw bagels or loaf of bread and not even blink, I will say it is not as hard as you think giving up. I have had sandwich rounds a few times in the last 72 days and that is it for bread. Of and a couple mini bagels. I gave both those up too. Not worth it. I am surprised at how I can look at bread not and not even crave it. Before, I would always finish off my daughters toast. I couldn't help myself. Now, not even tempted. It is a powerful feeling. I recommend it!
  • blondageh
    Options
    I don't know why, but once again I feel like we need to defend our reasoning behind giving up certain foods all together. It is because these happen to be trigger foods that make me want to eat more. Hence the WHOLE bag of bagels or WHOLE loaf of bread. As you will see in the regular community a lot, many people do not advocate giving up entire food groups, they say all in moderation. That is awesome! Yay for moderation! I'm going to work on that when I get my morbid obesity under control. Then I will revisit it. This is just really working for me now. I don't feel like I'm fighting cravings all the time.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    I'm of the same mindset, Heather. Cutting out certain foods completely helps me stay in a physiological good space (no strong, endless, compelling, screaming cravings) so that I can handle the psychological cravings. I think it's difficult for people who've never experienced food addiction to "get" it. But when you're lying in bed wide awake at 2 a.m. because your body is SCREAMING for sugar, or rampaging through the kitchen eating everything to avoid the sugar and your body still says" not enough!" Then you know you have an addiction.

I may never be able to eat everything in moderation, and I'm okay with that. I am filling my life with friends and experiences that bring me so much more joy than any food.
    K.
  • blondageh
    Options
    Yep. Just mixed up a cake and didn't even lick the bowl! Now the real test is frosting it....hopefully that isn't triggering anyone but I feel like I need to put this out there so I set it up before I go into this. No licks!

Oh and absolutely the more enjoyable parts do come into play. Like how excited my daughter was to come to the store to pick it out with me. She even brought her pink leopard purse filled with coins because she wanted to pay for it. We got to the register and she kept trying to give me 8 cents. It was so sweet. Then we got home and I let her get on a chair and hold the mixer. Again, she was so proud. It was these simple pleasures that stop me and remind me why that lick isn't so important anymore. Its just not. The smile on her face, now that is. The fact I can stand there now and bake a cake with her is. 113 lbs ago, my back wouldn't have let me. When you put it in that perspective, a stupid lick or even a piece of cake seems sour all of a sudden.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Loving these wonderful Sundays. Jim and I had a little outing (to the farmstand to look for lettuce... none yet) and then to get coffee (skim milk, splenda latte for me, yum). Came home and put on my suit and decided to float for a while. Still a bit chilly, and the water temp is cool. I was only out for a few minutes when I hear, "Hi K!" from one set of bushes and "Hi Miss Karen" from another set of bushes, and then I was set upon by two silly seven year olds. We spent the next 90 minutes playing and swimming and talking in british accents.

Great way to end a great weekend of being on track foodwise. I gotta say, this was a tough one. Between feeling sad about not having my dad for father's day, feeling crappy with Still's flares and a ton of pain, feeling depressed because I'm not getting my sugar high, and facing temptations left and right, staying sugar free was a huge challenge. There is NO way I could have done what Heather did, actually making a cake and not sticking my finger in it! Heather, I don't know how you do that, honestly, or how you go out and pick up fast food for your husband and not lose your mind. You have an incredible will power!

I hope everyone else enjoyed some fun today and family if you were gathering. Back to the grind tomorrow, woohoo.
    Karen in Maine
  • Macrelmar
    Macrelmar Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi Karen, love what you said about what you tell yourself, start where you are etc. So true, if I look back or look ahead I am like a deer in the headlights. Right where I am is a great place to start… rough day again but talking about it, getting it out of my head helps a lot! thanks for listening and sharing to you all!
  • Macrelmar
    Macrelmar Posts: 49
    Options
    Sorry we ended up with two threads going! I didn't realize when I saw it that the "father's day check in" was one in the same as the check ins I see with the dates on them. My Bad. : )
  • blondageh
    Options
    No worries. Looks like we still had much to talk about! Now I have Mr. Rogers in my head..won't you be my neighbor?
  • KarenZen
    Options
    I'm cleaning up the kitchen from supper and just looked over my colonoscopy paperwork, and somehow I must have blocked out that tomorrow is a clear liquids only day, then Tuesday is nothing but a few sips of water.

This should be fun, LOL.
  • blondageh
    Options
    It was hard at first Karen. When he first asked me to do it, that was back in 2009 or so and I had was just starting another round of weight loss, my first while living with someone. I was around 400lbs and I was like are you effing kidding me, you really expect me to pick you up dinner when I can't eat anything but cabbage soup? But I soon learned that it is much easier to grab him something then To deal with his grumpy *kitten* so I learn to pick my battles. Now it doesn't even bother me. I go to them all the time with him at lunch and will just order a diet coke.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but once again I feel like we need to defend our reasoning behind giving up certain foods all together. It is because these happen to be trigger foods that make me want to eat more. Hence the WHOLE bag of bagels or WHOLE loaf of bread. As you will see in the regular community a lot, many people do not advocate giving up entire food groups, they say all in moderation. That is awesome! Yay for moderation! I'm going to work on that when I get my morbid obesity under control. Then I will revisit it. This is just really working for me now. I don't feel like I'm fighting cravings all the time.

I am the same...my trigger is breads so I steer clear of them, ice cream the same. I just know myself, and it is like that old comerical....betcha can't eat just one!! Well I can't, so I stay clear of the triggers that set me off. Works for me...and like you, maybe at some point in my journey I will be able to 'just take one'!!! or not!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be. --Clementine Paddleford

I saw this on one of our member's profiles and LOVE it!!!