Here's my thoughts on The Gamer Diet

Options
Hey there!

I'm a repeat offender (lose, gain lose, gain) but I have since had a VSG done (a gastric op) and I am now on the right track. The thing is, don't be fooled, the gastric op doesn't do the work for you. It just aids you. And so, this is where I am at currently...

I will be switching up my diet to exclude chrisps, fizzy drinks, Haribo sweets and take away food. All staples of a gamer's diet while playing.
I say - No More!!

Considering the apps and technology involved, this will be an excellent opportunity to see if the games and apps of today are a good form of motivation to a healthier lifestyle.
For starters I will be using:

MyFitnessPal - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
This is one of the best free mobile apps to monitor your intake and output. It not only counts calories but your vitamins as well. It can form a pie chart of your fats, carbs and proteins as well as tailor your calorie maximum based on your lifestyle.

WalkMate - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonymobile.androidapp.walkmate
This is free pedometer that sets up short and long term targets like 1000 steps a day or 8000 steps a week. It's a simple, effective app that is fun to use if your competitive with yourself.
Nintendo 3ds XL with Street Pass
I find that this is always going to get me up on my feet. A lot of people have a 3ds and not only can it be your pedometer but also a rewarding gaming system for your efforts with coins and Miis.

Nintendo Wii or Wii U - http://www.nintendo.com/
I have a Nintendo Wii which even though it's fading as an older generation model, it still offers as much fun as always. I use the Wii Fit Plus mostly just to warm up before I do more intensive Cardio. But if you have been out of the loop for a while like me, then a week of intensive gaming like boxing is a good start.
For those of you with a Wii U like my boyfriend, you are lucky because it comes with its own pedometer and a set of games that uses the touch screen pad for more challenging games.

Swimming
Considering my current weight with my knee damage, impact sports like running is not advised so swimming is the best alternative. For those of you worried about being in swimming suits, don't be! Remember the 2 most important factors when going to the pool.
1) When you get into the water, no one can see you because they are too busy focusing on their breathing and form.
2) How do you think people get healthy bodies? They have to work for it, which is what your doing! It's ridiculous to see someone about to start a race and already judge what place they will finish at.
3) Why not go with a buddy? A friend working out with you increases your chances of sticking to your regime as well as offer fun and conversation. My sister and boyfriend are my pool buddies. And when I want to destress, I go alone.
4) For women, there are other things we worry about apart from our bulge. Untanned skin and/or unwanted hair is also no excuse not to swim. If anything, I'm grateful for those flaws because it makes me take care of my skin!
Exfoliating weekly, moisturising daily and drinking water can make any skin tone look fabulous. As for hair, shave it, pluck it, wax it. Or walk proud like Mo'nique and not care! Do whatever makes you feel good.
Shopping
Yep, shopping day will also be a part of your change. You have to change the way you shop to increase your chances of buying good food.
1) Never ever shop on an empty stomach. You will see only the instant satisfaction foods that landed you in your saddle bags in the first place.
2) Take a bottle of water. Drinking while shopping also prevents chances you will grab bad drinking choices.
3) Don't chew gum. Chewing anything produces a signal to your stomach to prepare for food. If your chewing something your not going to swallow, it's just going to leave you with a grumble in your tummy and maybe even acid.

Well those are my starting tips. Will keep you updated!

Replies

• RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good to hear! Lots of great resources and knowledgeable people on this website. Make sure you browse the stickied threads and start strength training as soon as possible.

Wish you luck!
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This reminds me that I need to use my Xbox Kinect more... so many great fitness games out there.
    Xbox Fitness on Xbox One is amazing (and free 'til December)!
  • en4cerd43
    en4cerd43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Even the smallest changes help.

I've stopped sitting down and try to pace when I'm gaming... So there's a couple extra calories. My PS3 is still my DVD player so I use it to run my DDP Yoga DVD's and the Daily Burn app (also available on Xbox with a free trial).

I'm also using a fitbit and the smartphone app. I'm inclined to enjoy the geekier things in life so using gadgets to aid my routine really helps. Plus Fitbit has achievements... I get the same satisfaction every time I hit a step or weight loss goal that I do when I get a Gold trophy on my Playstation.