Any Harry Dresden fans out there?

Options
Autumnfilly2005
Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
I've been a fan since just before Turn Coat came out, and I've been to see Jim several times at signings. LOVED Skin Game! Anyone else?

Replies

• BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    yep - blame Scotty here on MFP for turning me onto the Dresden series - I'm a couple of books behind but I'm about to delve back into them again once I finish up the current series I'm reading

after reading the books, watched the 1 season they had on Netflix - kind of wished they kept it going
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Own em all!!! Don't forget to read "Side Jobs"...good short stories about Harry's first case at Ragged Angel, some stuff about Thomas, and Murphy!!!

Only 5 books left in the series, Jim said he was done at 20.....good thing he's a prolific writer..

You might want to try out some of Larry Correia's "Monster Hunter" books as well.....
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    yep - Monster Hunters is the series I'm currently reading almost done with Vendetta, and picked up the rest so will binge read at some point

haven't picked up side jobs - but will now - thanks Scotty
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    Yep, I've read them all! Actually, I believe Jim said something to the effect of 20 books, and THEN his BAT (Big Apocalyptic Trilogy), so about 8 books more! Have you ever been to any of Jim's book signings?
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I live the middle of Nebraska....of course not....
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Just started reading, I'm now on book three Summer Knight and enjoying it!
  • savelando
    savelando Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    never read any of the books, but immensely enjoyed the paul blackthorne tv show on scifi a few years back.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    The books are really great, I highly recommend them! I'm lucky enough to live in the Los Angeles area of CA, so Jim, nearly always has a stop over in LA or San Diego, or both! He's so funny to listen to, a natural story teller and all the energy of a little kid! If you get a chance, you HAVE to ask him about his witch doctor story! I was in stitches!

The TV show was alright, but nothing compared to the books! Jim was in the show, he's one of the techies when they were exhuming Justin Dumorne's coffin in the lab.

And, umm, Summer Knight is book 4. You may have missing something there? Storm Front, Fool Moon, Grave Peril, and then Summer Knight. Hope that help!
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Just started (through book 4). Hopping on thread for more book recommendations.
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been a fan since just before Turn Coat came out, and I've been to see Jim several times at signings. LOVED Skin Game! Anyone else?

Tear....I may have found my people. Love the series! I read the Alera(?) series first by him.
  • basicjim
    basicjim Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like the books but I LOVE the audiobooks! I drive a lot for work. The audiobooks are excellently read by James Marsters, who you will remember as Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

If you ever have occasion to pick up an audiobook, I can't recommend enough the combo or Harry Dresden read by Spike!!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    The audiobooks are actually how I discovered the series, they are awesome! (Except for Ghost Story, for obvious reasons.) You can tell that James really gets into the reading, and he's a natural the way he is able to not just read the story, but sound like he's actually going through the motions. In my head, Harry's voice always sounds like James Marsters.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like the books but I LOVE the audiobooks! I drive a lot for work. The audiobooks are excellently read by James Marsters, who you will remember as Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

If you ever have occasion to pick up an audiobook, I can't recommend enough the combo or Harry Dresden read by Spike!!

WHAAAAT!!? What awesomeness is this? And here I was, READING my books like a sucker....
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    A friend just got me hooked! On a long drive, she suggested the audiobook of #1, and reeled me in by saying James Marsters narrated it. [Sidenote: I'm not the only one who has to look up Marsters vs. Marsden every single time, right?] I loved it and got the second audiobook. Now I'm on the third. Usually, I only listen to audiobooks if I've already read the book, but he's such a good narrator that I can't stop listening.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    Yep, he's an awesome reader! Wait until you get to Changes! There's a part there (and if you've listened to it you know what I'm talking about) that just makes me shiver every time.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I finished Deadbeat not too long ago, so I am a little behind. I saw the show on Scifi and loved it, so I read the books.

I read the first codex alera book and really like it, but not as much as Dresden.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yep, another Dresden fan. I liked the TV show as well ... have it on DVD. Also wish it had run longer ... as well as "Firefly", "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and "Witchblade" and, and, and ... you know, TV shows kinda suck with their short runs. (Or I'm unlucky enough to fall for the ones that don't have a big following.)

But I'm definitely going to check out the Spike narration. I thought James was rather cute in his "House on Haunted Hill" cameo, too.

I have not been able to get into Butcher's other series, Dresden all the way.
  • KNHolt87
    Options
    I'm obviously late to this thread, BUT.......
    I <3 the Dresden series!!
    James Marsters is awesome; I'm seriously going to have to check out the audiobooks now!!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I've read and listened to all of the Dresden books now (or, finished reading Skin Game and am still listening to it). Marsters is indeed a great narrator for the series. (He's on Witches of East End at the mo, for those who are interested.) And I liked the show too, though I can see why some might not have.

Jim Butcher has really grown as a writer with this series. I'm curious about Codex Alera now.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Jim was in the show, he's one of the techies when they were exhuming Justin Dumorne's coffin in the lab.

Hah! Missed that, will have to go back and find him.