When did people go back to work

Options
Hello! i have my sleeve surgery tomorrow. My question is when did people go back to work or feel ok. I am hoping i can be back by Monday. Is this a reality? I have a sit down desk job.

Replies

• kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have a sit down desk job and I was off for three weeks. I don't think going back on Monday is a good idea. You need the time to get better.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.

My case manager at the surgeon's has said that I am VERY lucky with my VSG, because I have no complications and am one of those people who can drink as much fluid as they want with no issues. I also started out on the low side of the morbid obesity scale and I am young.

Keeping that in mind:

I had my VSG surgery on Monday 6/9 and went back to work yesterday, on 6/16 - one week later. I feel great. Really, had I wanted to push it, I could have gone back on Friday. It all depends.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i had surgery on a wed, was discharged fri and went back to sedentary work on monday. I am self employed. i could manage my day fine. i didn't need to be bored at home looking in the fridge:). if you are not in complete control of your work day i wouldn't go back for at least 2 wks. going to work while only consuming 300-650 calories will make you very tired.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was off for two weeks. I could have gone back sooner, but a friend who had a different WLS pushed to go back early and he told me that hurt him in the long run. Not physically, but because he didn't really get a handle on everything he needed to do food wise. He told me to take the full two weeks and be sure I understood my food requirements and everything else before adding my job requirements back in.
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse practitioner so I work at a desk most of the day. I went back to work after one week but wish I would have taken a second off. I was just really tired for about 3 weeks. I would come home from work and be in bed by 7pm because I was so wiped out.
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    I had surgery 5/29 and went back to work with patients in a clinic 10 days later. I was very tired and sore the first week, and my staff kept it light. I would have loved to take the second week off. Im 2/12 weeks out and get very tired at about 2 pm (now!). you are still on liquids 2 weeks out. I had some soft solid/mushy food yesterday and today I'm a little less tired.
    I was cleared to start Pilates, and had a very light private session yesterday and was exhausted about 30 min into it.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was off for two weeks. I didn't have pain but I was very tired. My doc said I could stay out up to four weeks, but I was already bored after two. Good luck!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I took two weeks off. I am glad I did because I was pretty tired, but I got bored after a few days. I ended up having my boss email a little bit of work to me to keep me occupied. I have a desk job so when I came back to work it was no problem, but by the time I got home I was worn out!!
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I took 8 work days, and had a couple of weekends in there, too. My dr said to start back at half days, which I didn't. I teach 2nd grade. The first couple of days, I really wished I had followed his advice... I was exhausted all afternoon and took 2 or 3 hour naps when I got home. It wasn't so much the surgery. I really had no pain, but the low calorie intake, while ok in the morning, left me very tired in the afternoon. Don't force it if you don't have to. I'm lucky that I have plenty of sick time to draw upon! I know not everyone does, but DO take care of, what will be, your newly glued up body!!! :wink:
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also have a sit down desk job and went back to work 5 days after my surgery. I was sore at the end of the day but made it through with no problems. You really just have to see how you feel. I was glad to be up and out, just take it easy and try not to do to much at once.
  • priceless97
    priceless97 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I took 3 weeks at the advice of a friend who'd had the surgery. I've been back at work for a week and I'm so exhausted when I go home. I take my vitamins, sip a little broth, drink a water, take a shower and head to bed. I'm very tired when I get off. Last night I went to bed at 8:45 pm. I'm usually going to bed at 10 pm. I still have some discomfort on the side where my surgeon repaired my hernia--but no pain issues on the non hernia side. My boss just mentioned today, "If I see you hold that side your stomach one more time I'm sending you home." lol It's really not as bad as she believes it to be. lol
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I took three weeks. I was hell on wheels during full liquids. I couldn't imagine being around people physically or mentally.