what topics would people be interested in

Options
jltheis7
jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
So, I have been learning about my food addiction for the last year and a half. I know that for me, right now, I am needing support for how to deal with relapse. I had lost 113 lbs after changing my eating habits to remove white flour, processed foods, added sugars, etc., and to incorporate small amounts of whole grains and more vegetarian meals. Then stress led me to sugar and flour products....now I am having to go through detox again and it is 100 times worse this time. I crave that instant good feeling and then the numbness afterwards.

Replies

• jltheis7
    Options
    Today I will turn work into recreation by playing music, having fun and enjoying being with fun people I like. Then after working at my job, I will turn my yard work into fun by creating a trellis from branches pruned. How about you?
  • jltheis7
    Options
    In reading other posts on these boards, I come across very different views on food addiction. They range from I am a food addict to food addiction doesn't exist. So how do you know if you are a food addict or not? For me, a book I read had a questionnaire that I scored all but one point on, indicating that I would be a food addict by the author's criteria. How have you come to your realization that your relationship with food is unhealthy to the point of addiction? I think this is great topic to explore together.
  • bajohnson00
    bajohnson00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this topic, jltheis7. I believe that a person is a true food addict when they accept that their relationship with food leaves them feeling powerless and their life has become unmanageable.

For me, that point was when I reached 275 pounds, had inflammation, eczema, joint pain, high blood pressure, low energy and "grain brain". One has to hit a rock bottom in order to make an attempt to climb up that wall of recovery. All of these symptoms have disappeared since living a lifestyle free from the substances that trigger my binge eating (sugar/wheat/flour). In addition to these symptoms disappearing, I'm no longer obese (another symptom of a greater disease).

Thank you for reading.

Brooke