Probiotics

Options
Bluebox32
Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
Do any of you take Probiotics that really help minimize your IBS symptoms. I have tried 4 different ones but I have never noticed any improvements.

Replies

• FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would also really like to know this as I have just been diagnosed after 8 years of irritation at my inability to eat properly.
  • teachfl2
    teachfl2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find a probiotic that works. Maybe I don't take them for long enough to see results. :/
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yes-but only the refridgerated kind that have a bazillion strands in them! :laugh:

The back story:

I had a bout of IBS about 15 yrs ago and it went away. After separating from my 27 yr marriage, I noticed some changes, but chalked it up to bad food, no exercise and stress.

Finally I went in for an unrelated colonoscopy and endoscopy which found H-Pylori. The cure is heavy doses of anti-biotics. ( 4 horse pills 4 times a day for 4 weeks!)

All during I was so sick to my stomach and my IBS came back with a vengence. I went to the gastro who said it was the antibiotics and HP and would go away. That was June. It did NOT go away.

The doctor had no answers for me but anti-spasmodics and "don't eat xyz" :huh:

I noted that when I ate Activia I had a small bit of relief. Going on this I went ot the health food store and asked about pro biotics. He explained there are different strains of flora in everyones bodies. We each need our own kind to keep things moving correctly (I am not a medical professional:tongue: )

He said the cheap stuff is OK for small problems, and may work. The refridgerated type was expensive, but has a special gel cap that lasts farther into the digestive system, getting the powder further into the bowel. Also with more strains and strands of whatever is good for your body.

Within 1 week I started to feel better! It has taken 2 months to get back to a bit of normal. As you know I will never have a cup of tomato sauce with raw onions and hot sauce again, but at least I can sit through a concert~!

Try it:flowerforyou:
  • AnnaM63
    AnnaM63 Posts: 25
    Options
    I also found Activia to help. I subscribe to Prevention Magazine and I read an article in there about IBS and probiotics. It was in the March 2013 issue. http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/how-probiotics-and-prebiotics-can-help-your-health
    It is a very informative article. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • tanyab222
    tanyab222 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful with probiotics because many times if I take it regularly I get really nauseated and then have to run to the bathroom numerous times (I have IBS-C). I've tried quite a few and most regular, non-refrigerated ones didn't do much other than make me really sick. I will try a refrigerated one when I am able to find a health food store somewhere. But even the I will have to be careful because I'm apparently super sensitive to everything...everything under the sun. Go me!
  • lori_en
    lori_en Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That sucks for me if Activia is supposed to help, as if anything it's the only yoghurt I have had recently that actually triggers my IBS! :cry:
  • cartecay
    cartecay Posts: 2
    Options
    I have had a problem with systemic yeast infections most of my adult life and never found anything to help until I tried Align. I heard about it in connection with IBS and can't believe I no longer have yeast symptoms. It's expensive, but it's worth it for me. I started taking it because of the IBS and then found it conquered the yeast
  • teachfl2
    teachfl2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So since I last posted on this thread I have actually found a probiotic that has made my bloating go down more than anything else I have tried. I have been feeling more nausous while eating, though, so not sure if it is a side effect. I went to CVS one day and saw their version of a probiotic, which was much cheaper than the others. I am happy to say I have been having great results!
  • ale62406
    ale62406 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Florastor has helped me considerably. My BM's are much more regular which helps keep my IBS symptoms at bay. I feel better too. It's expensive, but totally worth it.
  • erinw878
    erinw878 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had amazing results (IBS-D) by taking Digestive Advantage for IBS (intensive bowel support). That, in conjunction with their lactose version, allows me to enjoy a nearly normal diet aside from my strongest triggers and during times of stress. It's much cheaper than activia. I highly recommend!
  • Lady_Clarington
    Lady_Clarington Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I /think/ Actimel is making a difference for me. Certainly when I don't take it for a few days I feel sluggish and more prone to constipation. I've been taking it for a few months now and for cost purposes will be switching to the Aldi version to see if I have the same benefits / it doesn't screw things up. Even if its only a placebo effect it'll be worth my continuing I feel.