Hi there , Nooblet here :D

Options
Hi ladies :D
My names Tammy and Im brand spanking new to Belly Dance. At the moment im doing "videos" to learn from home as part of my weight loss and exercise regime. (About 13 weeks now ) . Thanks to just the home position ive not got THIGHS OF STEEL! ( The butt his lifting and my abs n obliques are just wow lol im impressed and yeah never knew i had em! lol ). I have wanted to learn for over 20 years but was always too shy or embarrassed of my body.

I do drills 40 minutes to an hour 3 days a week ( cardio on the eliptical twice a week) and have lost 30 pounds :D My goal is to become comfortable enough with my body to take outside classes. ( I suffer agoraphobia so it will be a big feat , but the confidence im gaining and peace is an immense help )

Im glad i found a place I can hopefully ask questions in regards to as being that nooblet at the art.

I gotta say, Ive seen so many people say oh anyone can do it ( Even my own sister thinks she could do it cause she is an "awesome dancer" her words not mine hehe til she came to do a work out with me and was a squishy jiggly uncoordinated mess hehe) Its SO not as easy as it looks! The strength every single one of you must have in your lower backs, abs, thighs, tushy must be PHENOMENAL! You have my admiration :D

Replies

• missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy
    you sound very dedicated to practising and drilling - I'm impressed. I've fallen into a bit of a lazy slump at the moment with regards to dance practice as I'm currently undergoing osteopathic treatment on my back and pelvis which makes dancing quite uncomfortable. I must do something about this!

I hear that Datura Online is a really good resource for belly dancers although there is a subscription fee.
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy, and welcome to the wonderful, undulating world of belly dance!!!

I've been dancing for a little over five years, and let me tell you, I can't imagine life without it!!! I think it's wonderful that you're practicing at home and have had such positive results from it. It certainly does work your core and legs (and arms, too!)

I have to put a big plug out there for belly dance classes. It can be scary at first, especially for someone with your particular phobia, but I can almost assure you that after 2 - 3 classes, you'll be feeling right at home!! The connection you'll make with the other women and the confidence you'll gain through dancing just might be the push to help you resolve your phobia! And if not, it's a step in the right direction, physically and emotionally. I know dancing has helped my self-esteem more than I can describe. I've always been the quiet, self-conscious, weird girl. Now I'm the less quiet, more confident, belly dancing weird girl!! :)

Let us know if you have any questions, and definitely look into classes!! Looking forward to hearing more about your journey!!

:flowerforyou:

Iza
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to drop in and let you know, im down nearly 70 pounds now and have started classes for bout 2 months now :D

I have been going to a lovely studio that teaches Egyptian style. ( I had also tried a tribal studio, as much as i liked the style the studio was a bit dodgy for me in a bad neighborhood, bit of a gurmpy teacher) But where I am at I am the weirdo lol for sure. My social skills are lacking but I am trying :D Im doing fairly well ( excluding veil work lol, its hysterical and my traversing spins/turns lol I always apologize before I start lol ). I am performing for my first time at the fall hafla and trying my hardest to get as much weight off before ordering my costume! Im totally going to go with a half top and a trumpet/mermaid skirt. (Unless i cant get the weight off then im totally getting a high neck beledi with LOADS of scarfs lol )
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I love this thread! Congratulations on your success. I'm new to belly dancing too and I definitely am noticing rock hard thighs and glutes. I am also having a blast in my classes! It's challenging and a lot of fun. We do mostly Egyptian I think, and my teacher, who is a keeper, is into fusion belly dance. I could watch her a day long:)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    You should be SO proud! Losing weight is hard and sticking with bellydance is hard too! I admire your dedication! Really, the classes are so motivating and it really does seem to be such a nurturing community. My dance classes have women of all ages and sizes and colors and it's really good for the soul. :heart:
  • Grumpsandwich
    Options
    You are right there! Im one of the oldest, but not the oldest and same for size. We are all supportive of each other but wont hesitate to laugh. ( but never at anothers expensive) i get nervous n blurt its a reaction when im anxious / panicy from the agoraphobia but now the girls are kind of used to it n giggle a long. My teacher really is an awesome woman i felt at home from day 1 . Walking into that building into a room full of girls was definitely one of the hardest things i ever done. I havent told anyone about my situation other than i lost some weight to feel more confident to come to classes and it really doesnt matter, i dont feel judged by anyone
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing story!! I love that you got the confidence to go (and keep going) to classes!! Sooo much fun, isn't it?

Oooh, your first performance! That is exciting!! You'll do great. The community really is so accepting and encouraging. Very little cattiness, and I think that is one of the best things about it! You'll have to post photos of your first costume and definitely let us know how the performance goes!

~Iza
  • Grumpsandwich
    Options
    lol I will do! I went to a crowded mall yesterday !!! (omg!) The confidence the dancing is giving me is just wow! But I was going by Claires ( gosh i haven't gone into one of those stores in my teens, soooo long ago lol) And they had an entire wall of costume jewelry the EXACT shade of the material for my costume . So i got myself some gold and turquoise chandelier earrings and a beaded gold and turquoise necklace as well as bangles. Lol costume shopping is so much fun! ( Holding off as long as i can before sizing my costume and body stocking ((hold in the loose skin on my abdomen)) before the hafla) So impatient! So is everyone this excited for their first costume and performance?
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Coming late to this conversation but you should be so very very proud!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I still get excited about performing, and I can't count the number of times I've danced!