How long have you been on Ideal Protein?

Options
chownot
chownot Posts: 46 Member
Hello all, I'm hoping to build up a group of Ideal Protein members to share tips, frustrations and goals. Please introduce yourselves and tell us how long you have been on the program.

Replies

• egd434
    egd434 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have purchased the food, completed the initial consultation, and plan to start on Saturday. Seems rather expensive. I am a bit worried about the VERY low level of calories I will be eating. On blood pressure and thyroid medicine, but the PA tells me there is no need to worry. Any advice for someone who will soon start this program?
  • chownot
    Options
    I have purchased the food, completed the initial consultation, and plan to start on Saturday. Seems rather expensive. I am a bit worried about the VERY low level of calories I will be eating. On blood pressure and thyroid medicine, but the PA tells me there is no need to worry. Any advice for someone who will soon start this program?

Depending on which blood pressure medication you are on will determine whether you can take the potassium supplements and which salt you will need to use. If you don't have a home BP cuff, buy one. Test yourself daily at the same time using the correct method. It is likely that your BP meds may have to be decreased once you start to lose weight. Drink the amount of water they say and take your supplements. If you have a great coach they will advise you regarding different recipes.

I'm in the health field and I can say that no other diet seems to work as consistently. Yes there is a cost, but it works. 800-900 Calories isn't super low and because the diet is ketogenic you lose the cravings. You are allowed up to 5 packets/day in the first week. Eat a packet if you are hungry but make sure it is only one packet of "restricted food". You will see that you are going to feel great after the first week.
  • pammee44
    pammee44 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am in phase 1 on week #5.

LOVING this program, we are feeling great and the weight, fat and inches are coming off. Faster for my husband than me of course, but they are coming off of me too, so it's working.

I was worried about the low amount of calories also but the food is very filling and keep me satisfied.
  • jan5500
    jan5500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Phase One. Today is the first day of week 13. For some reason, week 12 was mentally difficult for me, but I feel like something switched back on in my head - probably due to having a final, end goal in mind. I'm ready to lose my last 10 pounds. I love this program!
  • artzgrrl
    artzgrrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I also take thyroid meds and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.
  • chownot
    Options
    Keep your goals in site. Please post some of your favorite recipes.
  • MichellefromTucson
    MichellefromTucson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was on the program last year. Fell off. Starting up again tomorrow morning. Want to say good bye to 16-20 pounds.
  • rebeccajane216
    Options
    I started today. I am determined to do this!!
  • MichellefromTucson
    MichellefromTucson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Started Monday and having some digestive issues....figuring it is part of the detox process. Went on IP last year and was successful but over the past year I have slowly fallen off. I tried WW twice and had the very little success so I am back on IP

Michelle In Alameda, CA
  • chownot
    Options
    Started Monday and having some digestive issues....figuring it is part of the detox process. Went on IP last year and was successful but over the past year I have slowly fallen off. I tried WW twice and had the very little success so I am back on IP

Michelle In Alameda, CA
    Michelle,
    How is it going this week?
  • kai47
    kai47 Posts: 39
    Options
    Just started IP March 18 - first week is actually going pretty smoothly! I've been following the plan very rigidly and have my first weigh-in 3 days. Hoping for some good results! Getting a good feel for which foods I like. Very surprised how good some of them are!

Feel free to add me - motivational support wanted :)
  • kzimmerman317
    Options
    Hi All ~ this is my 2nd round on IP, I finished my first week yesterday with a loss of 4.4 lbs and 4 inches, can't wait to keep going and keep the weight off for good this time.
  • sallys921
    Options
    I started IP on Feb. 18 and have lost 29 lbs so far. In my second plateau now with 9 pounds left to lose. My last pregnancy 8 years ago sent me into insulin resistance which wasn't diagnosed until this February! None of my previous doctors could explain why I couldn't lose any weight in spite of living at the gym and dieting. I am thrilled to finally feel healthy - and validated knowing my weight loss struggles weren't because I wasn't trying hard enough. IP has been the solution for me and I can't put a price on that. I'm looking forward to Phase 4 and maintenance but still have the fear of gaining back the weight.
  • healthygirltx
    healthygirltx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started IP on 4/9/14 and I am down 12 lbs so far! The first few days were hard, had headaches and felt very tired, but since then I have felt great! I'm amazed at the calorie level of the plan and that I'm not hungry. Thank you, ketosis!
  • Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm J-
    I just started last week, down 4lbs. :) this week my family is in from out of town we are going to the beach for a week. I hope I can be strong. I'm using alternative products.
  • flygal
    flygal Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been on Ideal Protein for 5 weeks, lost 12 pounds, (husband 4 weeks lost 14 lbs). It's going very well. I like the program, I had really super high (out of control) blood sugar and within about 2 weeks it's completely down to normal. I've been tracking the food on here and see how many carbs I've been eating, so I think it will go well going forward.
    I have some recipes if anyone needs new ideas.
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started IP in February. I am one pound from goal and feel terrific. I have tried other programs in the past and never had success. IP is easy for me to follow and most of the eating habits I have created will continue as I enjoy what I eat. I went from a size 12/13 to a size 8 in 4 months and its amazing how my self confidence has changed.
    I have a few foods I love from IP. I love the Vanilla premade shakes for breakfast, The orange and lemon wafers are awesome for my sweet tooth and they are light.
    My family loves eating new meals that I have started preparing since February. We eat lots of stirfrys, my favorite is beef and cabbage with sesame oil and soy sauce. Its so good! You can find the recipe on Lindas low carb website.
    I have recently had sickness in the family and actually lost a good friend a few days ago to a heart attack at the age of 52. The biggest thing for me is that I havent been turning to food to comfort myself which encourages me to continue the path that has helped me succeed.
    I will probably be at goal this Saturday when I weigh in however I really want to maintain the progress I have made so will continue to stay on this site.
    Thanks to all of you who helped me on my journey with your encouraging words! Joan
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So I just got notice that my centre closed!!!! So bummed as I am a pound from GOAL! I know I could probably do this on my own but I like some of the products they have. Anyone know where I can order products from in Canada without paying the huge shipping fees?
  • Miska8482
    Miska8482 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm about to finish week 2. So far everything is good. What I like most is the energy I have. I feel so alive now, not so tired.. The only thing I worry about is loosing muscle. I guess I'll find out when I weigh in tomorrow.
  • caymanapril
    caymanapril Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was on IP for 3 months last year... then went hog wild (for no good reason) so I am back.

The only way I am able to stick to this diet -

1. I put a calendar with a daily weigh in (same scale, same time of day) on my fridge. Even though it fluctuates, overall I can see the downward trend and even when I have a temporary water weight gain, I can look back to the prior month and remember how normal that is and how quickly it goes away.
    2. I post everything I eat in MFP and have the app on my phone.
    3. I also fill out the IP written journal.

This may all sound tedious, it forces me to focus on what I've just eaten and what I'm eating next. I also have made a "hobby" of searching for recipes that are simple, tasty and don't require IP packets for flavour. I'm not a fan of the Walden Farms dressings, etc. although in a pinch, its better than cheating.

My other advice...

If you're a coffee drinker - it can curb the hunger between breakfast and lunch.
    Keep REALLY busy in the day time, don't eat after 8 pm and go to bed by 10. I'm not a tea drinker, but on IP - camomile plus a splenda have replaced the evening wine.

Its better to lose weight a little slower, than binge. So I developed a love of the orange chocolate wafers, the chocolate soy puffs and the southewestern chip thingies. They are a restricted item (once a day). I would have lost weight a lost faster if I'd eaten the restricted items two - three days per week but knowing that at the end of my day - I could have a health serving of protein and veggies and be rewarded at the end with something crunchy or sweet - helped keep me from giving.

Eating Out
    Steak and steamed vegetables. Even if the restaurant ignored my request to not use butter, I still stayed as close to on plan as possible and maintained muscle mass.