Barbell rows

Options
ChoiceNotChance
ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
I've been watching a lot of youtube videos for form cause they just don't feel comfortable. I see the parallel "Pendelay" rows and then the more upright rows where you don't put the bar down in between. Which do you like best, and why.

Thanks,

Deb

Replies

• brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I started 5x5 with bent-over barbell rows (where you don't put the bar down). From day 1 I hated them. Then I read about the pendelay rows and tried them, and for me, they work way better. They're not easier, but easier to handle.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For barbell rows I have only ever done Pendlay as that is what SL suggests...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I do bent over rows where you don't put the bar down. I prefer this abd my back does too.
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have done both and like both. When I followed SLs, I did Pendelay. Since I switched to 5,3,1 (finishing up my first week tonight!), I am incorporating bent-over rows. 15 lb bumper plates will help you be able to complete Pendelay rows if you are having trouble pulling from the floor. Also--you can stack other plates under your bar to raise it up. If bent-over rows feel awkward, you may just need to adjust your positioning until you find the foot width and back angle that works for you.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have always done Bent Over Rows as I hate Pendlay Rows-they just have always felt awkward to me. I'd suggest just doing whatever feels the best for you.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Pendlay rows done with bumper plates are easier on my back than bent over rows. I can pull a little less weight, but it's a much more explosive lift which is something I'm a fan of :) I also prefer dumbbell bent-over rows to bar bent over rows. I feel it so much more in my lats isolating side by side. I seem to tend to try to use momentum more if the bar doesn't touch the ground? Iunno.

The biggest trick with the pendlay rows is to grip the floor and keep your butt engaged. Makes a world of difference in how much stress the lift puts on your lower back!
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Pendlay rows, I just hate having to build a platform to lift the bar high enough.
  • caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So, the barbell row and the pendlay row videos on the Stronglifts site look the same to me. Knees bent, back parallel to the floor, shoulders pulled together, butt out, bringing the bar up and then dropping it all the way back to the floor between reps. I think in the barbell row video demo, the guy looks slightly more upright, but his back is nearly parallel to the floor like the pendlay row demo.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-pendlay-row-with-correct-technique/
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/

What's the difference that I'm missing here? My rows suck and hurt my wrists, using a false or normal grip.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    So, the barbell row and the pendlay row videos on the Stronglifts site look the same to me. Knees bent, back parallel to the floor, shoulders pulled together, butt out, bringing the bar up and then dropping it all the way back to the floor between reps. I think in the barbell row video demo, the guy looks slightly more upright, but his back is nearly parallel to the floor like the pendlay row demo.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-pendlay-row-with-correct-technique/
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/

What's the difference that I'm missing here? My rows suck and hurt my wrists, using a false or normal grip.

Not sure I understand the question so this probably isn't helpful...:smile:

Pendlay Row- Lift begins and ends with barbell on the floor. Back is close to horizontal for the entire lift. Hits the lower back more.

Bent Over Back Row (Yates Row) - Bar is lifted off the floor and the lifts begins and ends with the barbell remaining off the floor. Back is @ about a 45 degree angle. The more upright the back is the easier the lift so you can move more weight. Hits the lats/upper back more.
  • caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OK, that makes sense. In both videos on the Stronglifts site the bar is hitting the floor and the back looks parallel, so I couldn't see what the difference was. I think I've been doing regular barbell rows, but I'm going to try the pendlays. It just always feels so awkward.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    That's the work I was looking for. Awkward. I feel as though no matter how wide or narrow my grip is, I can't quite squeeze my shoulder blades together. I do have short arms. Maybe that makes a difference.
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options
    I've been doing Pendlay rows because I thought that's what we were supposed to do. But I like regular barbell rows better. :-) I generally find returning the bar to the ground awkward. And I have yet to find a good height for them. I guess it's a rowing day for me so we'll see what I try this time. Also where to put the bar. There's no good spot without getting in the way of something or accidentally injuring someone carrying the bar around unless I want to take up the power rack!