Need tips on gaining endurance

Options
shepardN7
shepardN7 Posts: 4 Member
I've been running 1.50 miles for a few weeks and seeing no improvement. In order to pass my department of corrections fitness test I have to meet or beat a time of 18:16 for 1.50 miles. I've been averaging 19 with my worst run today at 20:14. I just don't see any way to improve my speed or endurance and I've been reading and watching running videos and such but I am totally lost. I've had no improvement at all.

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You improve your endurance by running more. You don't say how often you are running. Are you just going out and trying to do your mile and a half as fast as you can every time? The key to endurance is running more miles slowly.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Stop doing the sane thing & trying to run as fast as you can every single day. That's not how you improve.

Try running

A-slower
    B-longer
    C- intervals
    D- more!
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Stop doing the sane thing & trying to run as fast as you can every single day. That's not how you improve.

Try running

A-slower
    B-longer
    C- intervals
    D- more!

To add to this, it also takes time (I believe 3-4 weeks) for results from training to be noticed.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How long did you know about the test? :wink:

Run more. Run longer than the minimum distance. The test should be cake compared to your training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I just don't see any way to improve my speed or endurance and I've been reading and watching running videos and such but I am totally lost. I've had no improvement at all.

Increase the distance that you're running to at least 3miles per session, as you're only running 1.5 at the moment that'll take you about 5 weeks to do. By that time you should be in a reasonable position to pass the test.

And that's a pretty relaxed test, I don't think our fitness test goes out to 18 minutes.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Want to know what the military does? Run more. At the minimum, in preparation for the PT test twice a year, the military recommends running twice the distance at LEAST once a week. And that is for the bare minimum to pass...but honestly, even that isn't enough imo.

I honestly think you should start with some form of structured training schedule for running a 5K. I am not going to recommend C25K, because it is obvious that you have -some- running endurance. Instead use this one:

https://www.jennyhadfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/5K_Run_Walk.gif?27f7e5

That will help you get there.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When is your test?
  • shepardN7
    shepardN7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When is your test?

July 23rd.

My runs have been as follows

Monday June 2:
    21:37

Sunday June 8:
    19:46

Monday June 9:
    19:36

Wednesday June 11:

Thursday June 12:
    18:37

Tuesday June 17:
    18:58

Wednesday June 18:
    18:35

Thursday June 19:
    17:02 - TREADMILL

Friday June 20:
    18:57

I've been starting my runs at a slow jog, even then I wind up walking. Should I push on when I feel like walking?

I've noticed that at the 1.30 mile mark I start to tire out- to the point I can seem to run at all. My legs are like stones. I need to break through that wall. I seem to be getting to the 1.30 mile point around 16 minutes or so in.

My fiance is in the navy and has given me this advice - "Run hard, when it hurts, keep running." He did is PFA in boot camp in 13:35 for the 1.50 and then got it down to 12:35 currently in Pensacola (seriously is he eating jet fuel?? I'd kill for times like that!)

I got new running shoes as well, specifically for running. Upped my water intake, my carbs and protein.

What else can I do to smash that 1.30 mile wall?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    When is your test?

July 23rd.

My runs have been as follows

Monday June 2:
    21:37

Sunday June 8:
    19:46

Monday June 9:

Wednesday June 11:

Thursday June 12:
    18:37

Tuesday June 17:
    18:58

Wednesday June 18:
    18:35

Thursday June 19:
    17:02 - TREADMILL

Friday June 20:
    18:57

I've been starting my runs at a slow jog, even then I wind up walking. Should I push on when I feel like walking?

I've noticed that at the 1.30 mile mark I start to tire out- to the point I can seem to run at all. My legs are like stones. I need to break through that wall. I seem to be getting to the 1.30 mile point around 16 minutes or so in.

My fiance is in the navy and has given me this advice - "Run hard, when it hurts, keep running." He did is PFA in boot camp in 13:35 for the 1.50 and then got it down to 12:35 currently in Pensacola (seriously is he eating jet fuel?? I'd kill for times like that!)

I got new running shoes as well, specifically for running. Upped my water intake, my carbs and protein.

What else can I do to smash that 1.30 mile wall?

I hate when military branches give that kind of advice. It has caused more injuries in boot camp than I care to count. Let me let you in on a little secret...in boot you will do anything to get out into the fleet. I ended up with 3 stress fractures in my foot because I "Ran hard, when it hurt." I am going to suggest that website again:

https://www.jennyhadfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/5K_Run_Walk.gif?27f7e5

Distance will help your running times...especially for beginner runners (which is what you are).
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Trying mixing things up. Perhaps one day a week run intervals (alternating between 100-200 yards very fast, and then 100-200 yards at a much slower pace and do several cycles) and then another day run 2-3 miles at a very slow pace. Perhaps also mix in a hills day too. By changing things up you'll often be able to get your body to respond by being stimulated in a different manner than it is used to.
  • SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Follow the advice others have given.

Run slower and run longer/farther. I know it's somewhat counter-intuitive, but that's how you increase your endurance. If you can run 3+ miles at a time, 1.5 should feel easier right? And in order to run farther, you have to run slower because you won't be able to keep up your 1.5 mile pace for twice the distance. If you can develop your ability to run farther, you're going to also develop the ability to run faster at shorter distances.

At one time I'd been training the same way you are. I was trying to get into shape for the Navy and was trying to get under the their 1.5 mile time. And I could, barely, but I never got any better. I was doing the 1.5 as fast as I could every time I ran but I wasn't improving. Then one day I read something about how real runners trained and I realized that they weren't putting in max effort every time out. It involved a lot of long, slow, easy miles. So I gave it try, initially I just slowed my pace by almost 2:00/mile and focused on running longer. Instead of running 15 minutes, I worked my way up 45-50 minutes. Then I started following a 5K training plan. That 1.5 mile time increased dramatically. Whereas before I was barely able to get the minimum for the oldest age group, I can now run the time they set for the 18 year olds, and do it 2 or 3 times in a row.

Most of us run a lot slower in training than we do in races. I run most of my miles at 1-2 minutes/mile slower than my 5K race pace. Don't think that if you slow down in training that you won't be able to run faster when you need to.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Long slow runs. Bump your mileage up to 3-5 miles, and the 1.5 will be easy. Also, run with other people, find a local running club and get out and push yourself just a little bit. It's a different experience when you are 1) keeping up with other folks 2) running while laughing/chatting/etc. Try and pace yourself based on how you feel (I imagine Green, Orange, Red) and learn your pace for each of those feelings. You will find that what constitutes your Red will get faster and faster. When I first started running a 12 min pace (the pace you need to achieve to pass your test) was my Orange to Red pace, now 11 - 11:30 min pace is my green pace that I use on my highest mileage days. Then you can use that to pace yourself differently throughout the run (.75 miles of green, .25 miles of orange and .5 miles of red) then you can play with the pacing over the time so that you finish strong, and aren't killing yourself for the first part of the run, and losing all of the extra time and more on the last half because you are exhausted. Work at it and you'll crush that test.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    run/walk at least 30 minutes, if not 45, dont be afraid to run 5-walk 10-run 5-walk 10 etc. Do a couch to 5K program, that'll get you there.