17 weeks to go, and Dr told me not to gain ANY more weight?

jennk5309
jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
Is this really healthy or safe? I have to cut calories below my appetite and exercise a lot not to gain any more. She told me this three weeks ago, and I haven't gained any more, but I get so hungry that I feel lightheaded, and I ignore it at night. During the day, I'll eat most or all of my calories so that I can do all of my daily tasks, but at night after dinner, I eat nothing.

I've gained 30 pounds, and the range I'm supposed to gain is 25-35, according to Kaiser's BMI chart. In my opinion, regardless of the weight I've already gained, I think the baby needs to gain at least, what, 6 pounds still? In order for her to gain that, I would have to lose fat (be in a caloric deficit) to stay the same weight. Is it really safe for her development for me to undereat?

I understand that some obese women don't gain any weight and still have healthy babies- but I wasn't obese to begin with, and technically only a tiny bit overweight.

Replies

• futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    That doesn't sound right to me. It would seem nearly impossible to not gain ANYTHING the last SEVENTEEN weeks of pregnancy. That is a very long time, and baby is gaining rapidly now. Also, if you're feeling lightheaded the risk of falling is much scarier than gaining a few extra pounds, in my opinion.

PS I also have 17 weeks to go, so I can relate a little.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    I'm really surprised your doctor said that! Especially if you aren't obese! My pre-pregnancy weight was within the normal bmi and I am on track to gain 45lbs. I brought it up to my midwife b/c I was upset to already be up 30lbs at 24 weeks, but she said not to worry about it as long as I'm eating nutritious foods and getting exercise. (I am). I would just do your best to stick with lots of whole foods and not worry about the scale. Nutrition is much more important than the number on the scale in my opinion. I decided to stop tracking and weighing myself after that last appt and I can't tell you how amazing I have felt to let go of the stress and unrealistic expectations. So it might take me a year to lose the baby weight. Not a big deal! It will have taken almost a year to put it on. I'm very healthy and so is my baby and thats the important thing right now. I know its hard to lose the dieting mindset, but I hope you are able to relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy! *hugs*
  • joianett
    joianett Posts: 79 Member
    For what it's worth, I am the opposite. I have been tracking my calories, measuring, exercising, obsessing etc this entire pregnanct. I am now 34 weeks and have gained 8-9 LBS! I started out in normal weight range but low body fat as I have/had a lot muscle. Anyway, I gained 7 LBS in the first 20 weeks and nothing since then. My doctor was not too concerned as my belly was ontrack BUT ... low and behold at my appointment yesterday, my belly was behind and she decided to check on LO and he is measuring small too and she marked my paper possible IUGR. She told me NO MORE WORKING OUT! now, I cannot help but wonder if it was my lack of calories/weight gain that baby is not growing.
    I guess what I am getting at is, I cannot see where it would be OK for you to not gain anything for that many weeks!!! Unless you were dieting/losing weight yourself, like I was. I would definitely discuss your concern and ask your doc how that is healthy!
    You don't want to feel like me! I wish I could go back and relax and enjoy (within reason) my pregnancy more as I know I will have plenty of time to get back into tip top shape after my boy is here.

Sorry for the rant :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    They need to stop this obsession with weight gain. In England we don't get weighed, apart from at the booking appointment. If your BMI is over 30 they put you under consultant care, and I think you get extra scans.

I've never weighed myself past 11 weeks in any of my pregnancies, but I know I've put on more than I should've done. My midwife has never said anything, except not to worry, you'll lose it after.

I exercised until 38 weeks pregnant and logged my food with my 3rd, and still gained. Not sure what I could've done differently. Some women do just gain in pregnancy, and it's wrong of a doctor to tell you not to. Besides, your baby still need to gain a bit.

I've always had straightforward labours and births, minimal pain relief (just gas and air) and no stitches, despite gaining weight.

As long as you stay fit, healthy and active I don't see that a few extra pounds matter, and you can lose it after.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    I've had five and been a different weight at the start of each pregnancy. It really matters very little how much weight you gain, as long as we're not talking gestational diabetes. Firstly I would say keep your calories at maintenance and eat most of your exercise cals too. Forget the scale and stay fit for labour, but don't overdo it. Your baby will gain and I too, think it's unreasonable to expect you not to put on another pound or two. But forget that scale! As long as bump is the right size and you're set to maintenance just carry on. If there's no serious reason to diet, then don't. But that's just my opinion.
  • K_Parkman
    K_Parkman Posts: 12
    Instead of not eating you could try eating raw foods for snacks and try walking for an hour daily. I do this and fat is just melting away. You definitely do not have to overwork yourself or go hungry:)
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    I don't think it's reasonable of your dr. to ask that. So what if you gained a few extra pounds, you baby needs nutrients and so do you. I have gained 55 lbs in my first pregnancy from eating very liberally and zero exercising. I am very cautious this time around, logging from day 1 and working out until now (at 37 weeks 3 days) and have still gained 33 lbs which means I will very well pass the recommended 25-35 lbs. Yes I feel bad about gaining so much but maybe I am just the type that will gain at the higher end no matter what I do. At the end of the day the recommended gain is just that, a recommendation, not everybody HAS to stay within it. So what if you gained more. You can always lose them.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    That is ridiculous! Sorry, just my opinion. But that is a completely unrealistic expectation of a pregnant woman!
    Eat healthy foods, keep walking and put the scale away. When you go to the Drs office, request to not be weighed!!
    Do everything right and stop looking at your weight. The stress is worse for you than a few extra pounds.