Experience with Shin Splints or Stress Fracture

Options
ATT949
ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
Bright spark that I am, I'm pretty certain that I've got one or t'other.

I'm going to research this on runningwritings.com to figure out what I've got and how to deal with it and I'm hoping that some of you good folks can chime in.

What's the outlook for a mild case of either? I believe it's mild because it doesn't throb when I rest it but there's pain in the inside of the right tibia when I press on it. The painful spot runs from the position on the tibia that's about the same level as the bottom of my calf and extends down the tibia for 3" - 4".

There is level 3 to 4 pain on walking but not to the extend that I'm limping.

The pain started two days ago which was two days after a pair of very physically tough runs of 5 miles and 10 miles. At about mile 8, I could feel pain in both legs but not worse in the right than the left.

I'm running (was running) in Kinvara's which allowed me to run with more of a "flat foot" rather than my Newton Gravity where I was running more forward, clearly on the ball of my foot with only a light heel touch down.

I'm doing RICE now, no running, and am limiting/eliminating walking this weekend - which is a real pisser since this is my first weekend for Debbie and me here in Edgewater NJ which is just a short ferry ride across the river to Manhattan! :-(

Any insights about prognosis and treatment would be appreciated.

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    No advice, just sympathy! Hope the RICE helps and the leg recovers.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry. With my stress fracture this past Winter, the Ortho made me hop up and down. If it is a stress fracture, that will send you through the roof! Ouch! Easy diagnostic test. Cheap, too! Hope it's just shin splints. Fingers crossed!!!
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with either (my one injury so far was "runner's knee", which was mostly due to me wearing the incorrect type of shoe, and overexerting myself in the beginning when I should have taken it slower). Injuries are no fun, and I hope it's just shin splints and that you can get back to running sooner rather than later.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints when I first started running and it was diligently doing exercises that got me over them. I googled for some exercises and did them in the mornings and evenings (example: standing on a stair with my heels on the edge and toes hanging down over the edge and flexiing/relaxing for some reps, rest, repeat).
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've been having some shin issues myself. My running partner, Queen of the Shin Splints (she's been running 6 years to my 3 but can't get her mileage up to where I am because of them) tells me that shin splints will go away with 2 days of complete rest. If after that you still have pain it's probably a stress fracture and you should see a doc. She wears compression sleeves, does strengthening exercises, rubs some Chinese oils on them, ices and stretches after every run, etc.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    With my shin splints I had to turn to the treadmill and drastically drop my mileage, then built it back up. Then did the same thing when I started to run roads again. I would have to take about a week off from running to get over splints. Now I just make sure my calves don't tighten during runs, if they do I have to stop and stretch them out. Haven't had them since January and knocking on wood.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yep I second the jump test for a "do I need the doctor/stress fracture check". I used to get shin splints alot. These guys have some good videos (preventative & treatment) if you just have shin splints.
    http://www.bodyleadership.com.au/runningresources.html
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've had two bouts of shin splints in my four years running. It's the only pain that's ever made me take time off & drastically reduced my pace & mileage. The pain was as you said, there on the inside bone. Took about 6 weeks for it to fully go away. I only stopped running fully for a week. I wore compression socks 24/7. I hope it goes away quickly for you
  • dalguard
    dalguard Posts: 36
    Options
    I found that my pain in that area was actually caused by knots in the muscle rubbing up against the bone and was resolved with massage. It was a chronic problem that severely limited by distance for years until I discovered that.
  • ATT949
    Options
    I've read most of the documents on these two issues at runningwritings.com as well as a few other sources and the best diagnosis I can come up with is that it's not a stress fracture.

I got a private message about the "hop up and down" test and I'm not experiencing that type of pain. Further, the painful area is large and, tellingly, the pain is diminishes as the day progresses rather than increasing. Those weigh against stress fracture.

What's galling is that I haven't run in a week and the pain on wake up is still significant. It is less painful each morning but, of course, I want it to be fixed "now". I can repair bugs in software, why can't I fix this? :-)

Your feedback is appreciated. I brought compression socks with me (I'm on the other coast for a 2 month project but, having had a blood clot in my left leg years, ago I wore calf sleeves for the plane trip) so when I run, I will wear those.

In addition to no running, I will start the rehab process with walking and calf exercises. My training plan for an August Half is out of what but am hoping that I'll be able to run again in a few weeks.

Thanks for the info!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Could be an issue with the posterior tibial tendon. I've been bothered by this off and on since I started running. As I have increased my mileage this year it started coming back as I got close to 40 miles/week. My coach showed me a simple massage routine to do every day - dig your thumbs deep into the arch of your foot while you curl your toes down at the same time. Keep moving around to all areas of the arch and repeat. Do this about 10 minutes per foot. It hurt like hell in spots but within a few days I could feel my inner shin pain getting much better.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you're not seeing a doctor about this?
  • ATT949
    Options
    It's looking like this is vericose phlebitis rather than shin splints.
    The pain has persisted for a week and the pain pattern shifted and localized. That prompted me to call Debbie's dad, a retired doctor, and he gave me a quick diagnosis.
    All the symptoms check out so it's off to the interist.
    Good news is that it wasn't the run. Bad news is that it's the plumbing albeit a minor bug, not a crashing bug. :-)
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Glad that you have some answers. That is the first and most important step to solving the problem and getting back on the road. Speedy recovery!