Pregnancy efforts, need feedback

Options
Elisabuffy19
Elisabuffy19 Posts: 130 Member
I am a mom to a two year old and in January I had a miscarriage, so I've been pregnant two times. My husband and I are about to start trying again. For the past few years I have had irregular/long cycle periods that seem to be MORE irregular when I exercise a lot or diet (count calories & lose weight). I'm not talking about doing anything extreme either. For some reason with both pregnancies my body has needed a little extra fat and a little less exercise stress in order to get pregnant.

But here is my conundrum - I really don't feel great in my own skin when I am 10 lbs over my ideal weight, which I am now. I am 5'9'' and ideally I'd like to weigh around 135-138 but right now I weigh about 148 right now.

What are your thoughts - do you think I should just eat to maintain weight since I am trying to get pregnant again and not stress over the extra 10 lbs...or should I try to diet a little and see what happens with the period? I know this is my call ultimately but I am feeling pulled in two directions. I'm already 36 so I'd like to get pregnant again sooner rather than later.

Thanks for your opinions.

Replies

• justinskitty
    justinskitty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My cousin had a terrible time getting pregnant (over a year) until she changed her diet and lost 10lbs. She had to do that both times she got pregnant and almost right away she got pregnant. Something about her body just had to have those certain things to be able to get pregnant. That is my only personal experience with something like that. Your body might need the extra weight and less stress over calories and exercising to be just right. I was a stress mess with work when we were trying to get pregnant with our first and after months of trying we went on vacation and I came home pregnant. Our bodies just seem to need certain set ups to be just right for making babies. Good luck to you! I hope someone else knows more about this and shares.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've always got pregnant really fast, but I've always tried when I've been thin and fit, so I don't know what would've happened if I'd tried before I lost the weight.

I think stress can play a part too. I'm a teacher and I got pregnant with two of mine at the end of July, so in our school holidays, and with my first in September, at the very start of the school term. I know some teachers who struggle to conceive, and maybe it's because of the stress.

148lbs at 5'9 sounds like a good weight anyway, well within a healthy BMI. I'd try now if I were you. I was a few lbs over my ideal weight, but had a healthy BMI when I tried for my third, and I was 35, so I just went for it. Now I have some weight to lose again, but I don't plan on having more kids, so I can aim for losing the baby weight and those final few pounds.
  • Elisabuffy19
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I do think "stress" is a big factor in our bodies being able to conceive. It's just hard to know what exactly the causes are. I will try to be moderate and positive about having a few extra pounds, for a short while in the scheme of things.
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating to want to be at a certain weight, but your body obviously needs to be where you are for your cycles to be consistent. I would just write off those 10 lbs as necessary for now. You can always work on those after you have a baby... but your window for having a healthy baby and pregnancy won't always be around!

Try for the baby first. Work out later. That's my vote! :flowerforyou:
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm with Kalyrra on this one - you clearly know your body well enough to recognise the situation that gives you the best chance of getting pregnant. So I would try not to worry about the extra 10lbs at this point (easy to say I know:smile: ) and work on the healthy eating side of things whilst trying to get pregnant. You can always lose the weight afterwards!
  • Elisabuffy19
    Options
    Thank you all. I really need to hear things like that. My head can get the best of me!!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I tried for a year to get pregnant with my second and thought it was really important to be in the best shape. I was training for a marathon and watching what I ate. Then I started to slow down over a couple of months and I gained about 10 lbs and poof I got pregnant. Both times I weighed exactly 140 lbs when I got pregnant which is at the top of my healthy weight range.