Any Advice???

Options
I am 30 years old 226lbs and tomorrow is surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8AM I'm nervous and excited if there is anything anyone can tell me, good or bad I should be prepared for it would be a great help.

Replies

• Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You've probably heard this before but the best advice I can give you for the post op first week is to walk, walk, walk and focus on staying hydrated.
  • Busmom183
    Busmom183 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck warford77 . I know how you feel , Mine is Tuesday. I wish you much success and speedy recovery.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk, sip sip, sip(1 tsp). Pillow to splint your belly, Chapstick, comfy slippers and loose snap front pj's or house coat to wear home. You won't want to stretch to put on clothes or have any waistband putting pressure on abdomen. Crystal light to dump in the hospital water they will bring you. Charger cord for cell phone, toothbrush. You may not be able to tolerate the taste of toothpaste post surg but you can still brush with water. Just keep walking this works out the gas trapped in your abdomen from the procedure. The more you move the faster it reabsorbs. I brought my rosary beads and I used them more than anything. Abdominal surgery is not pleasant and I needed prayer to maintain focus and accept the discomforts of the process. From what I hear from other patients who have had other surgeries it is like a cross between gallbladder surgery and a C-section in terms of discomfort. Do not get depressed if you don't lose much weight in the hospital. They pump you really full of saline. Just keep sipping and that will flush out the salt. Good luck and God bless.
  • stepholl
    stepholl Posts: 15
    Options
    I am 30 years old 226lbs and tomorrow is surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8AM I'm nervous and excited if there is anything anyone can tell me, good or bad I should be prepared for it would be a great help.

I just had mine on wens and I was miserable the first three days. I couldn't hold anything down and all the gas pains were so uncomfortable. But Saturday things started getting better and I was able to get things down and today much better. The gas pains are still there but less and easy to cope with. Take Chapstick and walk. Every time I do more activity I feel better. I am measuring and drinking protein or liquid every half hour. Two ounces. It's becoming easier. Just hang in there. It gets easier. I'm looking forward to all the weakness and pain to be gone. I'm 29 and started my pre op diet 2.5 weeks ago at 243. I weighed in before surgery at 231.8 and today I was 225.8. I'm excited. I'm gonna chance going to work tomorrow. Hoping that will help my activity level. Good luck!
  • warford77
    warford77 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I'm packing a bag in a bit. I will be sure to post my experience to share will all.
  • danielleespo
    Options
    I go in tomorrow and I am very nervous. I keep thinking anything that can go wrong will. I am 23 years old started my preop diet at 310 I am now down 287. Besides sipping and walking any advice?
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Just remember, the emotions you're feeling will pass. Post-op you may be on a bit of a rollercoaster. Be kind to yourself. You've had major abdominal surgery. You may have some regrets as the reality sinks in. It's all good. It will pass.
  • tmccoy723
    tmccoy723 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just had mine done on Thursday! I wore the clothes that I planned on going home in so I didn't bring anything other than my chapstick, phone and charger. It was fine because I hurt for the first couple of days and didn't want to do much other than walk and sleep.

The gas pain was the worst for me. It settled in my chest and back and it hurt to try to burp it out. I wish it had settled down south because relieving gas that way is easier. They want you to try to take the liquid pain killers because that's what you'll go home with, but I had a lot of trouble getting that down. If you have trouble like I did, my recommendation is to take your time sipping it down (maybe over 2 mins) and sit up or stand while doing it. Walking every couple of hours helped relieve some discomfort. Try to sip as much broth or water as you can while in the hospital so that you'll have that down when you go home. I needed to stay an extra day in the hospital and I'm glad I did. If you get that option and you're not feeling so hot, I'd stay another night.

Today is my first full day home and I've been tired and have had some stomach muscle pain, but the gas pain is diminishing and I don't have much incision pain. Each day gets a little better. I haven't been able to really eat or drink too much yet. I got down my protein drink today, which I just sipped on from 8:00-12:00 and then I had a couple of spoonfuls of greek yogurt for lunch and a couple spoonfuls of soup for dinner. Sugar free popsicles have been a savior!

Even though the first couple of days are rough, it gets easier and will so be worth it!! Good luck!!
  • reisu
    reisu Posts: 16
    Options
    The emotional stress of it all. You know, the part where you'd normally go grocery shopping and pick up a few things. No plans for dinner? Scrounging is great. You didn't have to really think about what you're doing.

Each and every day will become a planned adventure. Your trips to the grocery store? You'll be cautiously looking at ingredients...and for the first time noticing a whole mess of crap you thought was 'healthy', really isn't, at least on our diet. You need to really think out what you're doing to eat and when you're going to eat it, over the course of the week.

Your day revolves around what and when you eat, and often that's in relation to taking in your fluids. I'm 6 months out of surgery; I have to wait a good 45m or so before and after I eat between water. There is always something going on in your mouth, and it becomes stressful and tiresome.

You might eventually get to the "I just had a nervous breakdown in the grocery store, because I just want to eat *normal* again". I've done that, several times. And then, I calm down and remember that my 'normal' eating was what got me to the surgery, in the first place.

When the weight starts coming off, expect the occasional stall. Or, when you lose a significant amount, you'll start noticing all of the 'flabby' bits (that were formerly solid fat). It becomes easy to lose site of all of the positives, as we start picking apart our (new) perceived 'negatives'.

I'm after losing 85lbs in the last 5 months. I am tired of some of the same ol' flavour profiles. My arms and neck sag, my thighs are a mess, and I'm always on the fence as to "do I *really* look better this way than before"? That's all emotional.

The thing is, that is what you can expect...an emotional rollercoaster. The important thing to remember that yes...it is all worth it.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hi Warford77 and Busmom183. Wishing you both the best with your surgeries and a speedy recovery. I look forward to following your posts as you begin the next chapter of your VSG life. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi all! So excited for you! I had mine 3 years ago and other then feeling empty (just like after I gave birth actually), the pain was minimal. My gall bladder surgery was way worse!

Walk and sip. I'm a savory person, couldn't wait to get home and drink protein infused chicken and beef broth. They kept me an extra night just because I couldn't choke down the very thick, very sweet protein shakes at the hospital. Other than that, this was one of the easiest surgeries to recover from.

I wish you all lots of luck. Hang in there, it gets easier every day that goes by.

Pat
  • joyhibbz
    joyhibbz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am with pawoodhull! My gallbladder surgery was way worse than the sleeve surgery. When I first woke up in recovery I felt a bit nauseous they gave me some gravol (Canada) and I was the best kind. Now I was in recovery from a lil after 12 noon till around 8:30 as they didn't have a room available for me and honestly the worse part of it all was the bed making my back hurt. I had no pain where my incisions were and I had zero gas pains. I was actually sitting up shortly after waking up in recovery talking to another lady that had the surgery before me. My mouth was bone dry though and I bought a product called biotene dry mouth gel and it was a lifesaver for me.

I was released the next day right after my leak test they did see that I had reflux on my leak test so they gave me a prescription before I left the hospital. I am 17 weeks out today! I am no longer a diabetic and haven't had to have any diabetes meds since the day before surgery. My 3 month bloodwork showed my a1c level to be 5.6. My fasting glucose was also 5.6 so I am no longer a diabetic. I have 69 lbs gone so far. This has been the absolute best decision I have ever made for myself.

Best of luck to all having surgery!
  • thamm0222
    thamm0222 Posts: 3
    Options
    You guys are giving great advice!!! My surgery is 7/2 (coming up quickly) Its so great to see the results you guys are getting. I keep telling myself....NOTHING TO IT BUT TO DO IT

Ive had my gallbladder removed and a c-section so hopefully this will be inbetween....
  • warford77
    warford77 Posts: 4
    Options
    Well I am finally on the mend, even managed to get to the cabin for the weekend before I return to work :-) I have had a interesting experience to say the least I had surgery 8AM Monday morning, I did not wake until 4pm Tuesday I would wake for maybe 2-3 minutes and then fall out again I couldn't even stand for my barium test. On Tuesday afternoon the doctor came in and told me I have a stay in my esophagus, which meant my food/liquid was very slow moving. I couldn't keep any fluids in at this point still throwing up blood. 530PM I was released, I came home and again slept. Then day two after surgery again I slept most of the day. Day four I called my team to advise them I was experiencing a lots of pain when I would drink in my chest area. She said come back to emerg immediately they would have to widen my esophagus.....I chose not to, I fought through the day and the next few to keep fluids in a reach at least 1.5 litres a day. I am now at approx. 1.75 litres and managing to get my protein in. And yup I'm only 8 days out! :-) It really does get better. Thank you all for your kind words. 1 week prior to surgery I weighed in at 240lbs pre-admission 226.8lbs and today 8 days after surgery 215lbs. So happy I made this decision I am sure there is a long road ahead and alot of adjustments to be made but I'm ok with that. :happy:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Warford77! So glad you are improving! I look forward to watching your success on here!