How do you log your food in general?

Options
For example, last night's dinner was....

1 bowl of white rice.
1 dish - beef and broccoli
1 dish - bak/bok choi
1 dish - fish, steamed I think, but I didn't have the fish anyway.

This food is cooked at home as you know you pick at it bit by bit instaed of having your own plate. The food is supposed to be cooked with minimal oil. The food is generally healthy though Ayi can go a bit OTT on the oil sometimes but my wife (cantonese) nags her about it.

Apart from seperating the broccoli from the beef an weighing it, I really don't know how to measure. I don't feel I over eat but it is hard to tell. Should I fill a rice bowl up with food and eat only that for example?

I am a 183cm tall 39 year old male weighing 121kg.

Very general post I know, but at the moment I just log as "chinese buffet - 1000 cal".

Thanks.

Replies

• BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I measure out portions like you said, on a separate plate, and log that. It's quite easy to eat too much if you just eat and eat and then estimate. You ALWAYS under-estimate what you have eaten. Once I sat and ate out of the bowl of dumplings. I would have estimated I had 10 dumplings, but in fact I had 18 (my husband had counted the dumplings). Since then I always just put everything I'm going to eat in a separate dish and calculate that. Otherwise it's damn near impossible to guess.

Also, white rice is the devil. It's got very little nutritional value but has a surprising amount of calories, even steamed. It's part of Chinese culture to eat it, but it's really useless as a food. In old times people used it as a filler to make up for lack of meat and vegetables. If you skip the rice, reduce it, or have huang mi (millet) or mixed rice (white rice with huang mi) it's better. Millet has a lot of protein, so at least it's better than plain white rice. Also be careful of mantou - one mantou roll can have upwards of 400 calories and again, not much nutrition.

We started grilling our food BBQ-style at home and it's not only delicious, it's much healthier. We like tofu a lot. We do some amazing grilled firm tofu and some Sichuan-style super-spicy frozen tofu, I mean that stuff has endless possibilities, and it's naturally high in protein and low in fat. Plus cheap as hell.
  • StevenH74
    StevenH74 Posts: 129
    Options
    Thank you very very much for that. I keep my rice ti minimum; a level bowl. I will try putting my food in another bowl and eating just that tonight, but might have to experiment about with that. when I first arrived in China I lost a lot of weight but have put loads on. I really think my main problem has been beer though as i can easily drink 5-6 640ml bottles a night.

I am knocking that on the head also.

My home meals are healthy as my wife is a healthy eater, we have lots of fruit and veg and I love veg that I didn't like in England. broccoli with garlic is amazing!

You're making me fancy BBQ now, there are some great BBQ places nearby but I always drink loads when I go.

Where are you in China? I am in Guangzhou.
  • BuoyantSoul
    Options
    God, there's nothing like a good Chinese BBQ with beer on a hot summer night, am I right?

Yeah, the beer has also got a lot of empty calories, especially since they're always the big bottles and you don't get as much kick out of it because the percentage is so low, like 2-3% usually. But I always have at least one bottle with BBQ, because you have to!

Guangzhou, eh? You try any of the weirder foods available in your neck of the woods? I'm in Yantai, Shandong Province, right on the ocean. It's famous for seafood, but I'm veg and don't eat fish. Shandong cooking uses a lot of sour-spicy flavors, lots of vinegar marinades, sometimes with chilis, and so on. Though the food here isn't known for being particularly spicy and many people around here don't fancy hot and spicy foods.

My husband, who is Chinese, does the cooking for us and it's pretty healthy as well. But it's so delicious that unless I measure out portions first, I will just eat and eat until I'm stuffed. He's an amazing cook.

I've never been big on broccoli either, in fact I have hated it most of my life, but then I had it stir-fried Sichuan-style and OMGGGGGG. Loaded in garlic and chilis! My husband makes it with frozen tofu and some other vegetables mixed in, stir-fried in chili oil, garlic, whole chilis, spices, and a dash of pure magic apparently because it's amazing. Though it's incredibly spicy!
  • HeartIcare
    HeartIcare Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You can add it as a meal or separately, but make it easy for yourself just make good use of MFP Food database, after all that is the heart and value of this app containing food items with calorie and nutrition facts etc.

Just type in the combo rice with ..... add with homemade and take your pick, in case it doesn't show up you can search for ingredient. Perhaps the best tip since you guys life in China is to use this link with nutritional values in Chinese, it was shared by another member for which I am grateful it made it a lot easier to find items in Chinese immediately.

http://www.boohee.com/food/

Have a great day all :flowerforyou:
  • StevenH74
    Options
    God, there's nothing like a good Chinese BBQ with beer on a hot summer night, am I right?

Yeah, the beer has also got a lot of empty calories, especially since they're always the big bottles and you don't get as much kick out of it because the percentage is so low, like 2-3% usually. But I always have at least one bottle with BBQ, because you have to!

Guangzhou, eh? You try any of the weirder foods available in your neck of the woods? I'm in Yantai, Shandong Province, right on the ocean. It's famous for seafood, but I'm veg and don't eat fish. Shandong cooking uses a lot of sour-spicy flavors, lots of vinegar marinades, sometimes with chilis, and so on. Though the food here isn't known for being particularly spicy and many people around here don't fancy hot and spicy foods.

My husband, who is Chinese, does the cooking for us and it's pretty healthy as well. But it's so delicious that unless I measure out portions first, I will just eat and eat until I'm stuffed. He's an amazing cook.

I've never been big on broccoli either, in fact I have hated it most of my life, but then I had it stir-fried Sichuan-style and OMGGGGGG. Loaded in garlic and chilis! My husband makes it with frozen tofu and some other vegetables mixed in, stir-fried in chili oil, garlic, whole chilis, spices, and a dash of pure magic apparently because it's amazing. Though it's incredibly spicy!

What is it they say about the Cantonese?
    If it's got wings and isn't a plane, they eat it.
    If it's got four legs and isn't a table (or chair I presume), they eat it.
    If it has two and isn't human, they eat it.

Something along those lines, I think it has been embellished along the way. Guangzhou is ace but I do love the not too far away seaside. We found a great place just about four hours away.

What have I eaten here? Nearly everything; pigeon's head, snake, crocodile, all sorts of bugs and insects. I try not to back down when I know people are offering it to me expecting me to and I have a pretty open mind when it comes to trying new food anyway.
  • StevenH74
    Options
    You can add it as a meal or separately, but make it easy for yourself just make good use of MFP Food database, after all that is the heart and value of this app containing food items with calorie and nutrition facts etc.

Just type in the combo rice with ..... add with homemade and take your pick, in case it doesn't show up you can search for ingredient. Perhaps the best tip since you guys life in China is to use this link with nutritional values in Chinese, it was shared by another member for which I am grateful it made it a lot easier to find items in Chinese immediately.

http://www.boohee.com/food/

Have a great day all :flowerforyou:

I'm going to try this out and see how it comes out. I am not too worried about it as my wife ensures we eat healthily anyway. My beer abd crisps is my owb fault.
  • BuoyantSoul
    Options
    What is it they say about the Cantonese?
    If it's got wings and isn't a plane, they eat it.
    If it's got four legs and isn't a table (or chair I presume), they eat it.
    If it has two and isn't human, they eat it.

Something along those lines, I think it has been embellished along the way. Guangzhou is ace but I do love the not too far away seaside. We found a great place just about four hours away.

What have I eaten here? Nearly everything; pigeon's head, snake, crocodile, all sorts of bugs and insects. I try not to back down when I know people are offering it to me expecting me to and I have a pretty open mind when it comes to trying new food anyway.

LOL, yeah, that's what I was thinking! Guangdong, famous for all the weird stuff. You're quite adventuresome to try out all the crazy foods!