Macros

Options
eimaj5575
eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
Can anyone help me set my macros? Where do I start? I am a few months into lifting now need help. what should they be set at and also does it matter what I eat as long as I hit my macros?

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You kind of have to figure out what works for you in terms of macros.

For a lot of people, protein helps keep them full but one of my friends here needs higher fat to feel longer.

The general rule of thumb is 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.
    And 0.35g of fat per pound.

And what you eat doesn't matter as long as you are in a general ball park of your macro settings.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What's currently working for me is a 40/30/30 split (carbs/fat/protein). This split gives me enough protein to properly and quickly recover from my workouts and enough energy to get through my workouts. I tend to lean towards carbs so having this type of split works for me. It doesn't leave me feeling hungry or weighed down. I've also been recovering quite well when I hit my protein daily, and losing inches (some lbs) pretty consistently.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have mine set with the 1gram of protien per lb of LBM and the fat at 0.35 gram...the ratio ends up being 50/30/20...it was 45/30/25...so I changed it actually to 50/25/25 as I do like my chocolate.

Esp now that I am at maitenance I find that the carbs are helping my lifts.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I am set at 1g of protein per LBM as well, actually a little more, but my fats are YUM. So I have those set high.

Very high.

I'd rather have more fats than have extra carbs. Not because I'm low carb, just because I'm high fat. lol My carbs are about 280g a day. Fats are around 90ish. Protein is 100g+. Usually between 100-130.
  • eimaj5575
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I checked out IIFYM and used their calculator. It said about 1636 calories. 45/25/30. I set it to maintain though. Should I set it to bulk? I am thinking this is probably a good starting point. I know this is all trial and error thing though. My main goal is to lessen my bf %. I have obtained what some call a "skinny fat" body. In order to reduce bf % to get a more tone and fit look, what is this called? Bulking? if I am trying to build muscle does this mean I am trying to gain weight? Will I get a more tone fit look if I am just eating maintenance?
  • eimaj5575
    Options
    And sorry if these are stupid questions. Im just new to lifting and I am not sure if I am supposed to be set at maintaining or what. Bulking is not a good word that I am using bc I don't not want to bulk. But the options it gives me is fat loss, maintain, or bulk. Fat loss sets my calories low and I don't want to do that. Maintenance sounds more like it but I am not sure if I can sculpt a toner look that way. Stupid newbie questions, sorry :/
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Do you know your current bf%? What is your height and weight? Clothing size?

If you want to add a bit of muscle (which it sounds like you might) I'd consider slightly eating at a surplus, like 250 calories over your maintenance. Do that for 3-6 months, and then you can switch over to maintenance for a month or so before going into a cut. Cutting is when you eat at a deficit to lose excess fat. You just have to make sure to eat enough protein daily to maintain the muscle you've built.

There is a women who bulk group you could join on MFP that I'm sure would be very helpful to you.

Also, don't worry about using the word bulk, it just means gain weight. Even lifting and eating at a surplus is not going to make you bodybuilding bulky. It takes major effort to get that way.
  • eimaj5575
    Options
    I am unsure of my bf%. I just know I have more than I want. I am 5'3 121lbs 31 years old.

How you explained it seems exactly what I want to do. Build the muscle back up from where I lost it during weight loss, and then cut to get the excess off. Now that I am starting understand macros and everything hopefully I can start achieving my goals. I know it takes time and I am slowly learning. Thankfully there are very supportive knowledgeable people on this site to help me start this new goal.

Thank you, I appreciate the help!