When did you start calling yourself a runner?

Options
exwilson
exwilson Posts: 154 Member
I've been running for around 2 years now. I've got 2 half-marathons under my belt (PR 1:56). Several 5Ks (PR 23:54) and I'm signed up for my first full marathon in October. I run at least 10 miles per week when not training. Right now I'm running 15-20 and it keeps going up as I start training. I love to run.

But I don't consider myself a runner.

So I guess my question is, when did you first starting calling yourself a runner?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The minute I was able to run 1 1/2 miles with out passing out on the ground in a pool of my own vomit cough (running used to be my down fall during military PRTs).
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    After I ran my first marathon I felt like a legit runner.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Waiting until I hopefully finish a half-marathon in late July and go out and buy a 13.1 sticker and place it on my car. (Ran about 9 miles yesterday morning so I'm well on my way to getting there).
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    When I developed the discipline to go out and run even when I didn't want to.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I called myself a runner when I realized I had just placed 3rd for my division in a 5K. I decided I couldn't NOT call myself a runner after that, as it would be incredibly insulting to those who did not rank, who considered themselves runners. If they were runners, so was I. It didn't feel genuine to me yet.

I didn't really FEEL like a runner until started running double-digit miles comfortably though. The other day I posted on Facebook that I did an "easy 14-miler". My workouts sound very pretentious now. It's one thing to post on Facebook that I ran a whole mile without stopping, like I did in the beginning. People can relate to that. But only another runner can relate to the type of running I do now, and that's when I really felt like a runner... when it became pointless to even talk about it to people who don't run.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    When I reached 40 mpw for the first time.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    ... when it became pointless to even talk about it to people who don't run.

Soooooo true! That's why I don't really post about my running on FB but harass my MFP friends with it :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I called myself a runner when I realized I had just placed 3rd for my division in a 5K. I decided I couldn't NOT call myself a runner after that, as it would be incredibly insulting to those who did not rank, who considered themselves runners. If they were runners, so was I. It didn't feel genuine to me yet.

I didn't really FEEL like a runner until started running double-digit miles comfortably though. The other day I posted on Facebook that I did an "easy 14-miler". My workouts sound very pretentious now. It's one thing to post on Facebook that I ran a whole mile without stopping, like I did in the beginning. People can relate to that. But only another runner can relate to the type of running I do now, and that's when I really felt like a runner... when it became pointless to even talk about it to people who don't run.

Haha :) The humblebrag is definitely a sign of a runner (I only did 10mi at 8:30 pace so sloooooowwwww)
  • lockeddoor
    Options
    OH! Almost forgot to add these... when I started logging the miles I ran in my shoes, so I knew when to replace them.

And when my husband ordered me a pair of my running shoes as a present (you're a runner when people know to just buy you new gear for your birthday or anniversary LOL)

And when I started logging my miles per week, and my workouts had names (Oh, it's Tuesday Tempo Run Day!)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I still don't. I don't have any idea at what point I ever will but I don't feel comfortable calling myself a runner at this point. It's totally personal to me and is not reflected in how I think of others who do feel comfortable calling themselves runners.
  • lockeddoor
    Options

Haha :) The humblebrag is definitely a sign of a runner (I only did 10mi at 8:30 pace so sloooooowwwww)

I love a good humblebrag from my running friends! It's weird how we're all just actually genuinely proud of each other's accomplishments, but our friends roll their eyes and wish we'd shut up already LOL
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I should rephrase my comment to this....

I became a runner when I could finally relate to this:

how-i-look-running.jpg
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I guess for me it was when people started asking me about running....and when I had to name a few goals in my life, 1 or 2 always had something to do with running.

Someday I hope to get to call myself an "elite" runner. haha...maybe...I COULD get there...maybe...
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I think I finally felt like a runner after I completed my first marathon.

But, I've been calling myself a runner since my first 1/2 marathon.
  • lockeddoor
    Options
    There is a part of me that thinks I am not a real runner because I haven't ran a marathon yet.

But then again, I have a Pinterest board dedicated to running quotes, so...
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Probably this past winter... Had a mild epiphany when I realized I was running after work in the dark... with a headlamp... and spandex tights... with temperatures below freezing... and flurries flying in my face so I had to squint to see ahead of me... and I was loving it.

:wink:

Still remember it. Was like running through that starfield screen-saver I had on my PC in the 90's.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    When I was able to run without feeling like I was going to die and when it became part of my routine.

However, I don't consider myself a very good runner, but I do consider myself a runner.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I started calling myself a runner about 3 months into my running - I had finished C25K and was part way through B210K.

I realized that I didn't need the training plan to make me go out and run... I wanted to do it because I loved running.

At that point I decided I was a runner, though I still had my doubts.

About 5 months later, I finally really believed it myself. Training for my first HM, I got up before dawn, went outside in a light cold drizzle and even though my mind was saying "Go back inside and go to bed", my body - my legs - just started to run and I went and completed the 4 mile run.

I felt so awesome that day.

Threads like this always give me an opportunity to post my favorite running quote:

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    When I moved beyond a yearly slow 5k to (still slow) 10k, 10 milers and 1/2 marathons.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started running to lose weight. I started at about 270 and since then have completed 2 half marathons and doing a full in November. I still feel uncomfortable calling myself a runner because I still have fat I need to lose.