Grazing/Distracted

Does anyone else have this? My son likes to take breaks while he is eating, every once in awhile he has to stop, look around, see what is going on and then latch back on. I thought it was just nursing but my husband said he does it when he takes the bottle too. I have tried all different settings but the reaction is the same.

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I FF my first and BF my second, and they both went through that. It's kind of a phase. I say "kind of" because the short-term phase is an extremely distracted one. However they usually don't ever go back to full-focus feeding like when they are really little (except maybe when they fall asleep while eating or are otherwise really tired or hungry). It'll be kind of the new normal, though both of you will adjust so that feedings won't be so difficult.

I hope that helps!
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    I FF my first and BF my second, and they both went through that. It's kind of a phase. I say "kind of" because the short-term phase is an extremely distracted one. However they usually don't ever go back to full-focus feeding like when they are really little (except maybe when they fall asleep while eating or are otherwise really tired or hungry). It'll be kind of the new normal, though both of you will adjust so that feedings won't be so difficult.

I hope that helps!

What she said. The best thing is to assign a spot in your house for feeding, make it quiet. I had to bring his nursing sessions back to before naps because he was too distracted at all other times. Just now, (10.5 months) he is getting to where he can actually really nurse when he wakes up from a nap as well. He has been a distracted nurser since he was 4 months old, so it has been a long time to get back to where he is less distracted.
  • TurquoiseViolet
    TurquoiseViolet Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks ladies. I think part of the "problem" is that I am going to start weaning him soon and I miss that focus he had as a new born. On the bright side, he likes to "chat" with me during some of his breaks.