Starches

Options
ksellen1
ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
Hey Ladies - I need some advise from those of you more experienced lifting/fat losing peeps. I have at least 80 lbs to lose to be in my "healthy" weight. This is taking into account being strong as hell....I am trying to figure out the best macros to shoot for as well as how often (and how much) starch I should eat from non veggies. Do I add these on the days I WOD? Any help or advise is appreciated!

PS...looking for strong women friends to connect with!

Replies

• beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I'm pretty far from an expert, but I think there are many schools of thought on this. One of the most common macro balances for muscle-building seems to be 40/30/30 (carb/fat/protein), and that's what I'm shooting for. But others got for far fewer carbs. I think there's also some personal preference. I know from experience that if I go much lower on carbs, I get really, really nauseous and dizzy, but that I feel great with 40/30/30. Hope that helps some!
  • Ck51
    Ck51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually time my starches around my WOD time, before or/and after. The rest of my carb macros will come from veggies. This works for me for fat loss and allows me enough glucose to power thru my WOD. The day does balance out to 40/30/30 doing this too.

Rule of thumb - you have to play around with it and see what works best for your body. Good luck
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS find that I feel thinner and leaner when I limit starches. I eat tons of meat, yogurt, vegetables, and a decent amount of fruit.

I travel about 75% for work and eat a lot at places that don't report calories. Starches are such dangerous territory because two similar looking pieces of bread can be VASTLY different in calories, and in my opinion, it's easier to hide calories from fats in carbs.

I'm not sure what my Macro percentages are on average, but it won't really help you either way since it sounds like you're differentiating between fruit/vegetable starches and breads/rices/pastas/potatoes.

I don't find that it hinders me in any way as far as lifting and working out. And even if they are temporary inches (i.e. water weight) I like not feeling as bloated like when I eat starches.
  • chalk_and_chaturangas
    chalk_and_chaturangas Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Check out iifym.com. I generally steer towards a macro breakdown of 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. I also aim to eat my my body weight in grams of protein. For example, I'm currently 148 lbs, so I'd aim for 148 grams of protein per day. This is a good starting point for anyone, I believe, although you may feel like you need to adjust for your personal needs if you notice a lack of energy or a loss in muscle tone.

I think one of the BIGGEST issues with carbs/starches is commercial processing. I always feel junkier after eating processed carbs vs. lean on carbs from whole grains/veggies/fruits. Processed food usually contains added sugar and salt, not to mention preservatives with unknown effects on your body. Added sugar and salt trigger your body to store fat and retain water: not what any of us are looking for!

I recommend sweet potatoes, broccoli, apples, and Ezekiel bread for healthy carbs : )