Check in June 25th

Options
tishtash77
tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
Sleepy still and not had coffee yet so pretty much empty of any deep thoughts but it was time someone other than Karen started this lol. Another tough week for me food wise, Tom is due some months I can fight it, some I can't.

Hoping to take DS strawberry picking soon, we have never been before. Can anyone tell me do we pay by pallet filled, or by weight? I do not make homemade jams but going to try freezing some. How much does that change them (never done that before either).

Replies

• NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Strawberry picking is so fun! The places I've been generally charge by weight. I imagine frozen and thawed strawberries would be a bit squishy and soft. I don't think it would affect the flavor. They'd probably be perfect for sauces, pie fillings, and smoothies!

Today is going to be a better day than yesterday. My meeting with my professor actually went very well. She's incredibly compassionate. She even encouraged me to keep thinking about grad school and she complimented the work I did finish. After I got home I went for a walk with my fiancé, so the day ended well.

Work competition weigh in is tomorrow so I'm trying to stay very well hydrated and eat lightly today. If my knee is feeling up to it, I might go for a run (skipped yesterday). I probably won't lift just because that might make me retain more water tomorrow. I don't think I've wanted to win something this badly since I was in journalism competitions in high school! Trying not to get my hopes up, but it's hard.

I hope all of you have lovely days today!
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Good morning, duckies! Thank you all for your long and thoughtful posts yesterday.

I'm pre-coffee so will need to write more later, but I did want to say how much having you all share the tough, emotional aspects of your journey here is so wonderful and healing to me.

Karen
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Quick post while my nails dry. Mentioned we have conferences the next two days. Upset stomach still continues from Sunday. Fun! I think Burbank some of Karen's colon blow by mistake! Tmi? You'd think I would have lost some weight by now.

I do have some positive things to post. My friend cleaned out her closet on Saturday and I thought no way I would fit in any of her clothes, happy to say I came home with two garbage bags full of adorable clothes and I am on my 3rd day of looking pretty cute. I will post pics later. Not bad for feeling like my guts are inside out. Serously, why can't I lose a pound?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... *YAWN* Frozen strawberries are great for blending or cooking, but most folks won't want to eat them alone after that, even defrosted. Making preserves can be super easy...I think I found a recipe with strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. But you can make all kinds of things... Check out www.skinnytaste.com I think her desserts page is where all the strawberries things are. Strawberries are really low in sugar and glycemic impact, so they are naturally awesome.... Enjoy it. Never been picking, but I'm a strawberry addict these days. LOL

TOM - hormonal cravings are on a whole different level from normal cravings. Ignoring them make me a murderously raging rampellian wretch! LOL I try substitutes, but if after a bite or two it doesn't work, I give in at least a little or I will hoover up everything in the house doing WAY MORE DAMAGE than if I had just given in in the first place! LOL

Good luck on your weigh in Norah! I went through something similar in our weight loss competition at work, and I was devastated and so setback when I came in like #7 out of 20. 5 of the top 6 were guys who binged before the first weigh in and lost 20 pounds in the first week or two, mostly just from taking a dump of their gorged meals.... Crazy stupid...but only one other lady and I are continuing on it... I seriously had to regroup, though, because I was doing things like what you say below. Stopping myself from a run because of a weigh in. In the short term, not a big deal, but after 15 weeks of this, putting things off became a habit for me. I was so annoyed when I realized it... I rebounded for a bit, but it hit me hard. Please make sure you are aware of this potential outcome and don't set yourself up for where I ended up... I want everyone I know to learn from that lesson!!! (but congrats on your goals, progress, and workouts!!)

Just another day here...trying to stay awake. Eating more carbs due to financial necessity has lead me to setbacks both in my weight (carbs are my enemy per health conditions and endo's instructions - and they make a ridiculous impact) and in my food narcolepsy. :( But, I just keep on trucking. It will get better because I will make it so.

Happy Hump Day, everyone...

Hugs, Carly in OK, land of 1000 suns, all in my face since they cut down the trees on our sidewalk and the sidewalk across the street and installed bright white pavement at the perfect angle to blind me for 90% of my workday... ;)
  • Macrelmar
    Macrelmar Posts: 49
    Options
    Good morning all, yum...frozen strawberries. I love to throw them in the blender with milk and sweetener. Makes a great milkshake. My nine year old grandson requests one EVERY time he's here. Lol I also like to slightly defrost them (as yes they will get mushy) and put them in plain Greek yogurt. It makes the yogurt freeze up a bit and it's kinda like ice cream.

I slept lousy so I'm feeling pretty lazy. Hubbies in Scotland until Sunday so I'm loving the time alone. Miss him but after 36 years together I like the breaks? I'm taking advantage of having no obligations. A mental health break. Giggles

I didn't exercise yesterday. Because I'm just starting to move my body after years of being sedentary, it's a habit I have to develop. It's scary having missed a day, so I'm committing to do so today, after a nap. Giggles.

It's great to be able to share and to read all your shares. It inspires me and the connection feels great.

Hope you all have a great day, and sending get well vibes out to those not feeling well!

Maryellen in FL.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Hi again,
    Thanks for all your good wishes yesterday. I'm starting to feel better, loving the giant horse pill antibiotics but missing my swims. I know you all want an update on my colon, so here it is. Today is clear liquids only day, then tonight I get to drink the "cleansing" drink and spend eight hours clutching the toilet. I think... I have to clear with the doctor that I'm good to go even with the pneumonia issue. I hope so... I don't know if I can drag out colon talk for another week or two.

Yesterday was a day of heavy duty fat talk, so I decided this morning I would add some levity and tell you one of my funniest fat stories.

I was about 13, I think, very interested in boys who looked right through me. I was chunky, not very stylish, and the daughter of a dysfunctional mother who never taught her daughters anything about boys and men other than they were not to be trusted, EVER. What I remember most about this time was that I stopped looking at my body, something that became a life-long habit. I was ashamed and embarrassed by it, and as long as I kept my head tilted up, chin forward, and made eye contact with everyone, maybe they wouldn't notice my lumpy body either.

This summer, we were camping on Cape Cod, and my only aunt, Aunt Marilyn, who had always been a wild, sexy woman (everything I learned about sex as a teenager, I learned by reading the paperback novels she hid in her closet), came down to camp in the site next to ours with her husband. We didn't see them often, and she was so excited that I was growing boobs! She dug through her clothes and found a bathing suit for me that was much, much more grown up and sophisticated than the one I'd been wearing. This suit had some wild woman colors in it--fuchsia and turquoise, was cut a little higher in the leg, and had an amazing dip to reveal some cleavage. Of course, my thirteen-year-old's little boobies didn't fill it (and I'm sure my jiggly belly did), but the best part of the suit was that it had these stiff, plasticky cups that stuck out even though my boobs didn't. Did I ever think I was HOT... I walked around with my chest thrust out, showing off those 32 C's like they were really mine. No one, I figured, could tell that I didn't REALLY fill that suit!

I took myself and my new boobs down to the waterfront, swam out to the float where all the boys were diving and jumping and fooling around, and climbed up on the float with them. chest thrust forward. I don't remember the reaction of the boys... I think they just ignored me... I had my nose up in the air and was stretched out on my elbows, ignoring them as they splashed around, but imagining that they all secretly wanted to kiss me because of my amazing boobs. The sun glittered around me on the water, hot on my skin, and the air was full of the unmistakeable musk of puberty.

After lounging for a bit, I decided to show off and dive off the diving platform. This time I watched carefully. YES! At least six of the boys were staring at my boobs, mouths gaping!!! Yes!!! I had the power!!! I looked down at them myself then, at my powerful boobs, and realized that during my swim out to the float, the little plasticky cups had dented inward. There were my boobs, all right, with two giant concave nipples, like little post-eruption volcanic craters.

I shrieked, dove straight into the water, and swam for shore. And put the suit away for good.

:blushing:
  • KarenZen
    Options

Hugs, Carly in OK, land of 1000 suns, all in my face since they cut down the trees on our sidewalk and the sidewalk across the street and installed bright white pavement at the perfect angle to blind me for 90% of my workday... ;)

Carly, Your signatures crack me up!!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Strawberry talk, yum!!! I have a quart in the fridge and just thought, ohhhh... I can have some of those in a salad for lunch. NOT. Maybe tomorrow!

Last year I made jam for the first time with blueberries from my neighbors' bushes. SO, so so so so easy. I boiled the jars, filled them with the jam, put on the lids, boiled again--boom--instant perfect christmas gifts. I am most definitely doing strawberries next week. If you get them local and ripe, you can do a very low sugar, no sugar, or stevia jam that's delicious. I like to use Allrecipes.com and read the comments below the recipes, because that's were everybody tweaks them for the best products.

Karen
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I like to use Allrecipes.com and read the comments below the recipes, because that's were everybody tweaks them for the best products.

Karen

I use Allrecipes.com too…..great site for recipes! I have a plum tree and last year mom did the plum jam….really was excellent!! She also does peach and also strawberry. It is easy, but she gets a bit tired of making so much…but the family savors the jam all year long….I bring it with me and give it to friends where I am now and they love it!!
  • Macrelmar
    Macrelmar Posts: 49
    Options
    OMG! That is flippin hysterical Karen!

Good luck with the colonoscopy thing. I can't imagine them agreeing to put you out with pneumonia though. ;-(
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Tish , how about making strawberry fruit rollups with your son? So easy! Here's a YouTube video that shows how--only three ingredients.
    Homemade Strawberry Fruit Rollups Recipe | How to…: http://youtu.be/8XCxZ7hp9V4

If that link doesn't work, just Google strawberry leather or strawberry rollups and click videos.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Omg, Karen, that is hilarious! I showed the girls off today. At the conference we had to do a team building exercise and I was stuck wearing this horrible ill fitting bra which I guess I posted on Facebook which one of my friends pointed out and I promptly removed. Anyways, we had to build a container to transport an egg out of mini marshmallows and toothpicks. Here I am reaching across a banquet table in a tank top and bad bra trying to do this with my girls on full display. Finally I just said I give up, I'm hanging out to one of the directors. Screw it...I have no modesty here.. I will post the Facebook pic so you get the idea.
    FB_IMG_1403716047437_zpsszgxftkp.jpg
    20140625_133237_zpsyr19voob.jpg
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    had the best of intentions today but that all sort of fell apart.

Decided to go for a bike ride so got on my spandex, put on some sunscreen and went to the garage.
    But the tire was flat. So calling on my youtube viewing experience, I pulled out the spare and took off the tire to change it. Got everything put back together and was filling it up and noticed that the spare had a tear. Said a few choice words and got in the car and went to the bike store. Bough two new tubes and went home. Had lunch and then decided to try the ride again. Went to put in the new tube and realized they sold be the wrong stem type. Back in the car and another trip. By the time I got back home and refit the new tire I realized the pump wouldn't get up to the right pressure and it was nearly four and the roads would tart filling up so I have called it a day. I can only put of paid work for so long.
  • NorahCait
    Options
    Pat, that sounds so frustrating. I'm really sorry.

Carly, that's pretty messed up that your coworkers would do that! Thankfully, we only have the two weigh-ins -- the initial one, and the one tomorrow, so I haven't been stressing about it each week. I ended up going to the gym and doing both my running and lifting. I remembered that I have plans tomorrow night which means I won't be able to make it to the gym and I didn't want to go so many days without it.
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Karen strawberry roll ups is a great idea thanks, didn't think of that one.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    By the time I got back home and refit the new tire I realized the pump wouldn't get up to the right pressure and it was nearly four and the roads would tart filling up so I have called it a day. I can only put of paid work for so long.

Wow, I hate when the roads fill up with tarts.

LMAO
  • IlluminatedMayhem
    Options
    Baby girl is 6-months-old today. A whole half of a year. She's growing up too fast. She's already crawling and she's recently started pulling up on the furniture so she'll probably walk early just like her big sister did. I'll be chasing after both of them soon.
  • NorahCait
    Options
    Aww happy half birthday to your baby! I'm sure having two kids running around will give you a good workout every day :)