Pain Killers & Vitamins...

Options
Wannabslim2014
Wannabslim2014 Posts: 21 Member
Hi All

I live in the UK and am having surgery 26th July. I was advised by the pre op team to stock up on pain killers for after my surgery when I get home. However I wasn't told what sort to get and don't have a way to contact them before my op. I am assuming that the initial ones will need to be in liquid form due to my stomach repairing? I cannot find many in liquid form does anyone have recommendations of any that are good?
Or...would tablet form pain killers be ok for me to swallow? If so which type?

I am slowly getting myself ready for my op, I like to be prepared. I already have my hair, skin and nails vitamins (for hair loss) and about to order my multi vitamins - I was advised to get Centrum - is this the best one?

Thanks everyone :-) xx

Replies

• SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the liquid form of paracetemol - that is what is usually recommended I think. But you may want to ask your surgeon for a prescription for something stronger such as liquid tramadol? I have also heard of co-codamol in effervescent tablets but have no idea whether that is something recommended or not . . .
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    in the states it is usually liquid Tylenol after any meds they send you home with. Usually you grind the pills and mix them with applesauce. ibuprofen usually not used due to needing a whole stomach to process it to avoid NSAID colitis. I find all chewable vitamins revolting so I use vitafusion gummies, just double the dose as per my nutritionist's orders
  • Wannabslim2014
    Options
    Thanks for your replies Ladies,

I will look for liquid paracetamol, think that may be easier to stomach than pills for a while. I will ask about the liquid tramadol as well! I have bought a gadget that crushes pills too so will look at putting them in apple sauce. I know I could crush them with a spoon but think I will spend more time running round the house trying to catch them flying off in all directions lol. I managed to find some vitamins especially for bariatric patients and also some centrum chewables for the first couple of weeks until I'm on purees xx
  • garayjoh
    garayjoh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really did not experience pain after the surgery. I was prescribed a huge bottle of liquid codeine, but I only it took it one time at home. I still have it and sometimes just will do a shot of it to get loopy, but that is about it. Just take it slow, sleep a lot, and sip very little. The first week I could hardly consume 300 calories through out the day. Sugar Free jello was my savior, just make sure mush it up in your mouth before you opt to take it down into your belly. It makes the pressure easier to bare. Jello and protein shakes is all you will consume that first week.
  • Wannabslim2014
    Options
    I really did not experience pain after the surgery. I was prescribed a huge bottle of liquid codeine, but I only it took it one time at home. I still have it and sometimes just will do a shot of it to get loopy, but that is about it. Just take it slow, sleep a lot, and sip very little. The first week I could hardly consume 300 calories through out the day. Sugar Free jello was my savior, just make sure mush it up in your mouth before you opt to take it down into your belly. It makes the pressure easier to bare. Jello and protein shakes is all you will consume that first week.

I really had to laugh at your post when you said about doing a shot of it to get loopy LOL!
    It is great hearing about everyones experiences with the surgery. My preop nurse said it was going to be very painful but I am guessing she has not had the sleeve haha.
    Thank you for your tips, much appreciated :-)