July VSGers???

Options
bkw2010
bkw2010 Posts: 16 Member
Hi all! I'm scheduled for my VSG on 7/1. I'm currently in the throes of the 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I would love to meet some people here on MFP that are going through the same thing around the same time.

Replies

• ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My surgery is scheduled for July 29, although I still need to get insurance approval. I am in my last week of my three month supervised diet. My pre-op instructions are 1 week of 900 calories with no more than 30 carbs and 10 grams of fat. The second week is liquid only. Feel free to friend me!
  • clcesari
    clcesari Posts: 56
    Options
    I will be having my surgery 7/23. I am quitting smoking in the next week as well as diet coke (my first love and addiction) shortly after for the two week diet. I am more scared about quitting those than anything.....
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    How were you able to get a date set already?
    Here they wont even entertain the thought till you have met ALL their requirements which 1st means completing the full 3 months dietician plus whatever % weight loss insurance requires.
    Also, here they cant/wont submit nothing to the insurance till everythings been done!
    How do they know that insurance will come through on their end by already setting you up w/ a date??
    Just curious :smile: ....sounds like you got lucky!
  • claresta23
    claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Mine is July 2nd.
  • bkw2010
    bkw2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have any of you checked with Insure Nutrition to see if your insurance might cover your protein shakes? It takes a little while, but it doesn't hurt to try. The worst that can happen is they say no. Basically, you go to their website and register your info. They'll send prescriptions for shakes to your doctor to sign (surgeon, or PCP). When they get them back, then they deal with your insurance to see if it's covered. If it is, they ship you a month's supply of Premier Protein shakes at a time. It took about 3 weeks for me to get an answer, and I had to keep following up with doctors to make sure they signed off & RX and with Insure Nutrition to see what the status was. But I was lucky, and my insurance does cover it, so I'm just waiting for my shipping confirmation and they're supposed to be sending me 4 cases of shakes!!! Check out their website, www.insurenutrition.com . It takes a little work, but if it turns out you're covered it's worth the effort!
  • claresta23
    Options
    Have any of you checked with Insure Nutrition to see if your insurance might cover your protein shakes? It takes a little while, but it doesn't hurt to try. The worst that can happen is they say no. Basically, you go to their website and register your info. They'll send prescriptions for shakes to your doctor to sign (surgeon, or PCP). When they get them back, then they deal with your insurance to see if it's covered. If it is, they ship you a month's supply of Premier Protein shakes at a time. It took about 3 weeks for me to get an answer, and I had to keep following up with doctors to make sure they signed off & RX and with Insure Nutrition to see what the status was. But I was lucky, and my insurance does cover it, so I'm just waiting for my shipping confirmation and they're supposed to be sending me 4 cases of shakes!!! Check out their website, www.insurenutrition.com . It takes a little work, but if it turns out you're covered it's worth the effort!

Thanks. I just submitted my information. Does anyone know about a source for FREE vitamins?

Thanks,
  • oStephhanie
    oStephhanie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am scheduled for 7/16!! My liquid diet starts on 7/2, but I have already been replacing a meal a day with a shake to lose the required 30 pounds. 26 pounds down, 4 to go, although I am shooting for 40 just to be safe!

Good Luck!!!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Way to go stef on already losing 26 lbs. I am sure you will do great on the liquid diet. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My doctor's office runs like a machine. They know exactly what to submit to insurance in order to get it approved. I've been gathering medical records and letters of support over the past couple of months. If it isn't approved, they can always reschedule the surgery. My last appt. for the 3 month required insurance diet is on Friday, then they will submit to insurance, which will take about 2 weeks. During that time, I will go to the hospital for the chest x-ray, lab work, etc. That is required by my doctor, not the insurance. I'll start my two week pre-op diet on July 15 so we should have insurance approval by then.
  • thamm0222
    thamm0222 Posts: 3
    Options
    Set for July 2nd here.....Ive been preoping since last Wednesday and it has gotten easier......
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    JULY 7TH! Thankfully my surgeon only requires TWO DAYS liquid diet prior so I Start my liquid diet the day AFTER 4th of July! :bigsmile:
  • claresta23
    Options
    SURGERY in the MORNING! Feeling Scared:sad:
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You will do great Claresta. I haven't had my surgery yet but I'm sure it's natural to feel scared. Tomorrow at this time (or by noon) your surgery will be over and you will be the the recovery phase. We will all be here cheering for you my friend.
    Be sure to check in with us when you are up to it. Big Hugs. :heart:
  • StanhopeRSN
    Options
    Hi All
    I also had my VSG July 2nd. I feel almost strange because I really must have lucked out on the recovery - I haven't had any difficulties other than a horrible case of bronchitis which has knocked me out for the past 5 days. Other than that - I haven't experienced a lot of pain, no gas pain, no nausea or vomiting. I'm tolerating liquids easily. I actually almost feel the same as I did pre-op. I gained 9 lbs of fluid during surgery so now I have finally gotten that off and I think 2 lbs. I think even for just 8 days out I somehow expected something more dramatic considering how few calories I'm taking in. I'm getting the protein through isopure drinks but my mind is almost playing games and creating paranoia as if I'm going to be the only one who doesn't lose weight with VSG because I don't feel any different right now. I'm sure it will be different when I try and eat something solid in a couple of weeks.
  • orcc
    orcc Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi all, had my sleeve July 31st. I have been so lucky and recovery has been smooth. I feel so good and can feel my body changing every morning when I wake up. I cannot wait to see what the future brings for me! Congrats and good luck to all!
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery 7/23..... Two weeks post op today.