Hydration Pack

Options
Good morning all!

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on where to find the back style (backpack for lack of better word?) hydration packs for a reasonable price? I'm in Canada and MEC and The Running Room tend to have ones that are well over $100 and I was really hoping not to spend that much. I do have a waist belt that holds 2-20oz bottles however I found that those were just enough to get me through my 13k last Saturday and I'm in the middle of half training.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You drank 40 ounces of water on an 8 mile run? That's almost 2.5 pounds of water. Did you lose that much in fluids? The human body is designed to dehydrate during work bouts and replenish afterward. You need to be careful about taking in too much water.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/basics/definition/con-20031445
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    A waist pack that holds 2 20 oz bottles? Odd. I thought the two bottle ones were 10 oz each max for waist packs.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on where to find the back style (backpack for lack of better word?) hydration packs for a reasonable price? I'm in Canada and MEC and The Running Room tend to have ones that are well over $100 and I was really hoping not to spend that much. I do have a waist belt that holds 2-20oz bottles however I found that those were just enough to get me through my 13k last Saturday and I'm in the middle of half training.

I used to run with a hydration pack and to be honest it only caused me to sweat more. They cover your back and don't allow for airflow. Once i ditched it, I realized I really didn't need as much water as I thought I did. If it's hot out (85F+) will take a hand held bottle with me that holds 20oz. If you are set on getting a pack, I used the Nathan running pack.

Now I only use hydration packs when I ride my MTB.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If it's over 70 degrees and I'm doing 12+ miles I bring along a belt that has two 6 oz. bottles. When the temp reaches 80+ at sunup and I'm doing a long run I'll wear the belt and carry a small Gatorade G2 bottle that I drink on the way out and I'll save the two 6 oz. bottles for the way back in. I hate carrying something in my hand so I typically dump the bottle between mile 7 and 10 (trash can in a park).

The two 6 oz bottles are more for mental health or chasing a gel than anything. I've done 16 miles without water several times and I don't fall over dead however I do feel like the G2 helps for replenishing electrolytes and such. Under 10 miles I'll just take a quick glass of water or cold coffee (my favorite) and then do the run without extra hydration. Carrying water sucks in my opinion.

I did carry 6 pounds of water with me ( 6 - 16 oz bottles) on a hike last fall. That was to do a 14k foot peak climb and it takes over 12 hours to ascend and descend the peak. I still hated carrying that stupid pack with water, rain gear, extra shirt, socks, etc. but that was a necessity. Running should be free and fun. See if you can wean yourself off of carrying as much water.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

I'm only giving you my opinion based on my experience and training I do.
    I do not carry any kind of hydration pack and or fluids for runs less than 2 and half hours (I run in mornings so please take into consideration the temps) and here is the reason why....

I do not get the urge to feed myself and this is based my study about my body's needs in that time frame. It's only when I reach over 3 and 1/2 hours mark is when I start craving for water. My training right now does not need me to run for that long. Quite Frankly my water consumption a days before kicks in and hence there is that "no need factor".

In one of my races, the race director screwed up with estimating water/ Gatorade and fluids ran out of most stations as people started adding miles. It was a chaos for those who depended on it while in their training. Something to keep in mind.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Hmmm interesting feedback and not what I had anticipated hearing! This is good though as it definitely gives me some things to think about. I don't take any hydration on runs that are less than 8k and pretty much the reason I start drinking when I do is because of the gatorade as the idea of eating or gels does not appeal to me at all. I also tend to get very light headed when my electrolytes are low. I do sweat...although I don't know that it's an abnormal amount.

From an anxiety perspective there is no way I can go without any hydration even on a 10k at this point. I'm sure that as I get more experienced that will change (I started off not being able to go even 3k without).

Thank you for your suggestions and input!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have used many types of hydration packs and have my faves, but they are out of your price range. I like packs, hate waist belts. And when I go on really, really long runs, I carry a handheld AND wear my pack (this is for times when I am out for 5 hours and there are no refill opportunities).

That said, check online at The Clymb and Left Lane Sports. Both of these short-term deal places often have Nathan and UltraSpire packs for good prices.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Here's a pretty cheap one that gets decent reviews:

http://www.lindsayonthego.com/2012/02/ultimate-direction-stinger-hydration.html
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!

I also failed to mention that my consumption includes cool down and stretching and it currently takes me about 1hr and 45 minutes to run 13k :)
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    CamelBak makes a new running specific pack called "Dart." I have it and use it on runs over 10 miles. I rather backpacks than bottle/fanny belts. I find it's pretty comfy and as for sweating, it's near 100% humidity here already--you're going to sweat regardless might as well have 1.5 Liters on your back...
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a recommendation for one that would work as a commuting backpack? I've been running home a couple days a week pretty regularly, and am sick of lugging a couple days worth of work clothes home with me on days I bike/take transit home (also I'm sure my coworkers would appreciate it.)
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a recommendation for one that would work as a commuting backpack? I've been running home a couple days a week pretty regularly, and am sick of lugging a couple days worth of work clothes home with me on days I bike/take transit home (also I'm sure my coworkers would appreciate it.)

I use a Chrome bag for my commuting. You can fit a lot of junk in there (also depending on the size you get, I have the Metropolis). It's super comfy while I am cycling to work and I also use it as my go-to travel bag when I am flying, etc. It will make your back hot on summer days--of course I haven't found any bag that will prevent that (especially here in the swamp!)
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A waist pack that holds 2 20 oz bottles? Odd. I thought the two bottle ones were 10 oz each max for waist packs.

I have an Ultimate Direction waistpack that carries to 20oz bottles. It's great. For longer training runs, I put on on the Ultimate Direction SJ Ultra Vest 2.0. It has a 70oz bladder and two 20oz bottles up front. I guess if I REALLY had to go unsupported for a long time, I could also use the waist pack for the additional 40oz. No need for that. The vest is great. For a race, just leave the bladder at home and go with the bottles up front. You just need to make it between aid stations.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Is this helpful?

http://theruncommuter.com/running-backpack-roundup/
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    another vote for the Ultimate Direction SJ vest. i'm a bigger runner (6'2" 230 lbs) with pretty wide shoulders but the pack fits great. light weight. lots of storage and easy access to the bottle which don't bounce at all.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am a thirsty girl and I need to hydrate when I do long runs in even slightly warmer temperatures. I used to use an amphopod belt with 2 10oz bottles but just switched to a camelbak 50oz. So far I like it. Its comfortable and drinking now interupts my stride a lot less. I think I end up drinking more water while wearing it but so far drinking more hasn't caused any negative side effects.

This is the one I am using: http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-HydroBak-Hydration-Pack-Dress/dp/B00437V8DE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1403793627&sr=8-6&keywords=camelbak+50+oz+reservoir

I got it on sale! So I paid a lot less than $64.

Camelbak also makes a 50 oz fanny pack:
    http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Products-Flashflo-Hydration-Backpack/dp/B008Z7ADQG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1403793627&sr=8-7&keywords=camelbak+50+oz+reservoir

But I like my backpack and personally part of the reason I got rid of the belt with the bottles was to better distribute the weight of the water. Too much weight on my hips was making my lower back sore after running.

ETA: This would NOT work as a commuter bag unfortunately. The pocket is tiny. Basically a small phone, keys, cards and some cash. I haven't tried to pack any gels yet.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have the Ultimate Direction AK vest. It also holds 2-20oz bottles and has space for an optional bladder, as well. I do trail running and go thru one 20oz every 5-10miles, so having 2 bottles is about right to get between aid stations for refilling.
    http://www.runningfree.com/products/Accessories-362/Hydration-371/Packs-405/Adventure-Racing-56/UD-SS-20-AK-Race-Vest-p39660/?pstart=1
    The AK vest is the most minimal of the UD vests but I can still put a jacket, a lot of food, my phone/camera, gels, first aid kit all in there with no problem. No chafing and it's not hot b/c it's so small and made only of very stretchy mesh. I've even carried someone else's extra 20oz bottle in the back part and never felt it.

It's been the best thing I've bought for running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Had to convert the outdated volume measure and got 2*600ml, which is an odd size in UK as well. Most waist packs take 500ml bottles.

I have a TNF Flight Series waist pack, two 500 ml bottles and a pouch for keys, gels etc.

The only criticism I'd make of the model I have which is a few years old, is that it needs both bottles in it, otherwise the tension straps don't work well. In practice that's not a huge issue as they can go in empty. Also the pouch is a triangular shape which tends to lead to gels bursting. The newer model has a different configuration.
  • Suzmp85
    Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink more water when its really humid outside.