Yearly Endo Visit

Options
okulyd
okulyd Posts: 147 Member
Just got back from my yearly endo visit and my doctor just told me I was very "lean".

I mentioned that my biggest issue was that my infusion sets were getting clogged within 24 hours and were not lasting anywhere close to the 3 days they are supposed too. She said that the likely cause is because I am so "lean" and when I move it is pressing against my muscle and kinking. She said it might be a small kind so it won't setoff an alarm but will block insulin resulting in the unanticipated highs I am getting.

Wow, I have never even considered that being too lean was a possible problem. Long story short will be trying new sets over the next few days. I will be trying the 6mm cannula instead of the 9mm which is causing the issue. Even when I was a little kid I never had any issue using long needles like some of the skinny kids did so I can't believe I could potentially use the short cannula.

Should get blood work back later this week which hopefully will be great.

Replies

• AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    what set are you using?

I've always used silhouettes, which go in at an angle for such issues
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you look really great!

I have the same issue with cannula's if I switch to the leg. I use the 9mm Quicksets (I assume that is the one you are using), but even the 6mm gets crimped in my legs (partly because of movement of those muscles). I agree with trying the silhouettes, or perhaps even the Sure-T if you don't mind the metal cannula (it seemed like it was shorter years ago when I tried one). Supposedly, the metal cannula won't get crimped as easily, but that wasn't true in my experience.

Do you really only visit the endo once per year? Mine wants to see me every 3-4 months. I understand doing a HbA1C test, but that doesn't require a visit to discuss - just let me go to the lab, then call me with the result. To be honest, my current endo is not all that great and I feel like we know as much as each other. It seems like for every time I ask for advice, I get the answer I was going to come up with even when I was hoping for something even more effective. I have considered going back to my prior endo (before I moved) because he is very knowledgeable, but that is a 4 hr. round trip (I would do that on a weekend, but not when I have to use vacation).

I'm sorry for such a long response. Congratulations again - keep up the great work!
  • okulyd
    Options
    Hi folks. Yes I am using the 9mm Quicksets. I was using the 9mm Sof-sets for many years with no issues and then Medtronic discontinued them. So I ended up with a 3 month supply of Quicksets. Since I change them daily I'll be out soon but annoying that I can't return them and they aren't working.

My endo gave me a 6mm Mio to try and also the Silhouette. I'm sure one of those will work better.

Yes, I try to avoid the Endo as much as possible. They have always been nice but I am comfortable adjusting my insulin myself. In fact the Endo today just said to keep working on slowly reducing my nighttime basal. She didn't even tell me how much to reduce it by or anything. I know she knows I can handle it and that with other patients she would give more specific advice.

It seems that due to new healthcare regulation they are now required to see patients every 6 months. The only reason I go is to get prescriptions refilled. Usually I find out more solutions to problems on these boards than what my endo is able to provide me with. I don't generally have a ton of issue but form time to time they come up and usually I am too impatient to wait to make an appointment. Just happened that I had to get to get new prescriptions and had a problem at the same time.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'd say try the Silhouettes....a little more old school on the insertion, but I like them
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm using comfort shorts. Same as silhouette but is manual insertion. Like the slant set and personal control over placement speed and angle. Straight sets were convenient with an auto inserted like the Cleos, but I need 30% more insulin when I was using them compared to the comforts. Not having issues with sites gone bad early and personally I can run the for around 4-5 days with no issues. Like to be able to see the insertion site as I will pull it if starts to get a little red. Can't do that with a straight set.
  • okulyd
    Options
    Got my results back. A1C is 5.5 down from 6.1 last year! Yeah!

Also changing to Silhouette infusion set 17mm - Thanks for all the advise!