Pride Fest Is Around The Corner!

ZOOpergal
ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
Hey guys, pride fest is coming up quickly. Does anyone here participate in Pridefest activities like walking in a parade? If so, what do you do/dress up like/respresent/ etc?

Replies

• helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Over here is the 28th :)

2 years ago I dressed in pinup
    1 year ago I was waving a huge flag with a guy fawkes mask

This year I'm not sure what to do...
  • SaraSerene
    SaraSerene Posts: 7 Member
    I get pretty claustrophobic so NYC pride events are usually a no go. Last year I attended a parade briefly, my friend and I wore our regular clothes and I had a rainbow umbrella since it was going to rain. If I'm feeling confident this year I might wear the rainbow tutu I made a while ago.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    *waving from the UK* I generally go to Manchester Pride and have done the parade a couple of times - once with SM *kitten* on their float which was interesting as Manchester is notoriously rainy and I was wearing rubber - I don't think I've ever been as cold and clammy :laugh: . Then I did the parade with a butch-femme group one year.

Haven't been involved for a couple of years but will be there this year with our butch-femme group :smile:
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    i've actually never been to a pride event O.O i know, i know, take my gay card away.

my girlfriend and i were talking about going to either denver or san francisco pride this year, but we decided to go to san diego comicon instead. we might still check out chicago pride, work permitting, since it's much closer.

I really wanna go someday though!
  • seanwil12
    seanwil12 Posts: 3
    INDY PRIDE IS 2 WEEKS AWAY, IM EXCITED
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    @thepinkpanda - your gay card is gone..............dah hell! GO TO PRIDE!

I've been to NYC Pride and unless you coughing up money to hit the extravagant parties it's not really that much fun. It's fun to see the crazy but I never truly participate. Once i did jump the fence and join for a bit though :) My friends aren't super rich so no one wants to pay for the parties sadly.

I am hitting Asbury Park pride this Sunday though! Probably going to hit the boardwalk and clubs of course. Paradise and watermark are awesome.
  • Alchemagician
    Alchemagician Posts: 27 Member
    Going to NJ Pride tomorrow in Asbury Park and Philadelphia Pride a week later. Would love to go to NYC as well at the end of the month, but haven't been able to convince any friends to go with me, and not feeling like going alone.
  • Ech155
    Ech155 Posts: 2 Member
    I just went to Brooklyn (NYC) pride the 15th and I'm probably gonna skip pride the 29th. Every year I am more and more intolerable of the crowds, police barricades and crowded after parties that go with the NYC pride. This year I'm going to have a BBQ or maybe go to the beach instead...
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    i'm actually going to chicago pride tomorrow! super excited!
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    I went to our local pride last weekend (UK) the parade was tiny and was "gay through the ages" with the changing of the marriage laws this year :)
  • siratlas
    siratlas Posts: 239 Member
    Pride for me isn't until august! I'm really wishing I could attend world pride in Toronto this year, it sounds amazing.

I do a lot for pride week, everything from helping to make signs & decorating cars to walking in the parade and helping at various events during the week.

I've been involved for the better part of 10 years...there's no dressing up on my part, usually we don't even have a theme because it's such a small parade (about 100-150 people) . However I've gone into the parade representing a bunch of different organizations over those years... This year I'll be participating with local Gender & sexuality alliances (aka gay straight alliances) with various schools & i'll also be representing the local Transgender community.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Whooooooo!! Happy Pride everyone!

I'm gathering the balls to go to NYC pride this year. I'll be alone since my love said she wasn't coming smh. I'm hype for it though.
  • onemoc
    onemoc Posts: 35 Member
    Our pride here in wichita ks, isn't until sept- it gives the heat a chance a to break. One year the parade was 2-3 miles and and about 105 - 110. The decision to move it a few months down the line was also because we have a local festival and competition between denver, okc, and kc pridefests can be intense. that and our city throws a 13 day festival around the same time. I will probably be working the local the 2 spirit booth and the past couple of years my partner was the volunteer president of pride. our local pride organization does fundraisers throughout the year and I try and go participate at those.

As far as dressing up. I don my native gear and show some leg.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Tomorrow I am going to Pride Fest in Baton Rouge. I am helping the local MCC (Metropolitan Community Church) set up their booth. I am in the Lesbian Social Club and we are meeting up at 1p and hanging out, and then I am sitting at another booth for an hour in the afternoon. I try to help out with Pride where I can. :)
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    The Minneapolis and St. Paul Minnesota Pride Celebration is this weekend!
    More info at www.tcpride.org

More than 300,000 people are expect to attend over the weekend.
    The parade is a two hour+ event that attracts thousands in downtown Minneapolis.
    It is the largest parade in the State.
    Too bad the weather forecast is not too great.
    Happy Pride to you and yours.
  • mudtea
    mudtea Posts: 27 Member
    I'm gonna dress up as a couch potato for SF Pride, just like I have for years. It is so crazy huge that it's just too painful to move anywhere at all. Good views can still be had for the parade without too much trouble, but the celebration area is impossible. You can't even get close to the booths to see what organizations or food vendors have to offer. For SF Pride, I suggest dressing as a sardine.

I'm looking forward to Oakland Pride on August 31. It's a much easier to get around and see things and visit with people.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    In the southern hemisphere we have pride at an all together different time of year. In Auckland its in February.
    My wife was at the *kitten* march for world pride in Toronto today though, a great time was had from what I heard.

Happy pride everyone :-)
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    I'm gonna dress up as a couch potato for SF Pride, just like I have for years. It is so crazy huge that it's just too painful to move anywhere at all. Good views can still be had for the parade without too much trouble, but the celebration area is impossible. You can't even get close to the booths to see what organizations or food vendors have to offer. For SF Pride, I suggest dressing as a sardine.

I'm looking forward to Oakland Pride on August 31. It's a much easier to get around and see things and visit with people.

SF parade has some serious gap issues that they have not learned to control. Been several times and take the kids, but when it is 10 minutes between groups, it gets a bit painful.