anyone thinking about doing their first marathon...

Options
valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
Hi all, there was a good group of us doing our first half marathons here in March just wondering if there is anyone thinking of the first marathon.

My long run at the moment is just up to 15 miles, I normally do that at the weekend then one day 6mile mountain run ( I love it) one day speed work with the running club ( I love the craic but not a fan of the speedwork) and two days 4 mile runs.

Dublin city marathon is 18 wks away, I want to do it I just am unsure if I should wait until next year when I have more experience under my belt or give it a try this year. Would love to hear from others thinking about their first and of course from the more experienced members on site.

regards,
Valentine

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are getting in some pretty good mileage and I think you would have no problem doing a marathon in 18 weeks. My first marathon is the first weekend of November so pretty close time-wise. I have not had a long run more than 14 miles yet and am currently running about 35 miles/week and slowly building up.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I will be running my first marathon November 2. I'm currently at 25-27 Monday thru Friday miles with a 10-12 mile long run every week. For HM training i go up to 16 miles, so it will be a while before I get to distance prs. I'm concentrating on adding in 9 more weekday miles before growing my long runs at the end of August.

I've been running successfully since June of 2012 and I've been working on establishing a good base since then so marathon training would be a possibility. I have a rather hectic life (full time job, single mom of a young child in daycare) so i have to be creative to get the miles in and last year my body just couldn't handle the creativity (i do doubles 3 days a week).

So i'm no expert, but if you can commit to following a training program, you should be able to do it from where you are at. I like that I've taken a little time to get here though. It's been nice trying out different patterns as far as how many days a week and how many runs a day to see what works for me and what is sustainable. But this was particularly important for me to do since I'm making my own training program.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide and feel free to add me if you want more running friends!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing my first marathon for July on the 27th. As Elizabeth said if you can follow a training program you can run a marathon; it may not be fast but you will finish and not be miserable. Based on doing long runs of up to 15 miles you should be able to handle the long runs of a training plan. Depending on the plan those 4 milers during the week will likely get longer.

Thing to keep in mind is running a marathon is easy; completeing the training while staying healthy is the hard part :P
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Not just thinking. I'm DOING! Officially registered yesterday and bought my tickets. I'm working Hal Higdon's Marathon Novice 1 program and have 12 weeks left. My longest run so far has been 12 miles which I've done twice. I'm running only 20-25 miles per week which is not awesome. I know. Really, I'm fully prepared to have kind of a miserable 6+ hour run. I'm running the Equinox Marathon in Fairbanks, Alaska on September 20th. The Equinox is not your run of the mill marathon course either. There is an 1,800 foot elevation climb and drop and most of the 26.2 miles is on trails. After gathering a lot of advice (even here on MFP), some which told me it wasn't a good idea, and advice from others who have run the Equinox before, I decided to do it. I'm running it with my 61 year old mother (who ran the Equinox back when she was my age-30). If I finish in less than 6:30 I will be ecstatic. The first time my mom did it, she finished in 6:20 and she was about 40 pounds lighter than me when she did it. They say to add 90 seconds on to your miles in calculating your Equinox time, which would make my miles around 13:30. Rounded up to 14:00 for good measure which comes out to 6:11. While I expect to run the majority of the mileage, I am prepared and definitely not afraid to walk when I need to, which I will! I am sooooooooo excited. I thought LONG and HARD about registered for the marathon before I did it as a DNF would destroy me and is not an option, I feel progressed enough in my running to know that I WILL finish, but it might not be pretty. Hey! I might do really well too! I can't discount that! I say DO IT! Run a freaking marathon!!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Signed up for my first full a couple weeks ago! I'm running around 24-27 miles/week right now, with my first longer-than-a-half-marathon run coming up this weekend, and my first 30+ week coming up in early July. The long runs have been mostly going well, but in the US-Midwest, the humidity is killing me and it's been raining for what feels like weeks on end. I've managed to get all my runs in, but there's been a lot of weather-dependent run-schedule manuevering! (My options for my 14 miler this weekend is rain, storms, or humid, so not sure when the best time to go will be...)

Hope everyone is having a good time training!
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first in early Oct. I've done 4 HMs in the past 2 years. I did a couple 30 mile weeks, but my calves got mad at me, so last week was 18 and this week will be low 20s. Nervous about getting enough mileage in. I'm trying to focus on slowing down and just covering the distance, not feeling bad if I don't go as fast as I feel like I should.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to run my first on December 13. I'm doing a 24 week plan that starts Monday. I'm already excited.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    first Full in Mid October for me! I'm currently training hard to PR the crap out of a night half in Mid August (hoping to make BQ pace) at which point I will transition over to a beginners marathon training routine. The mileage syncs up nicely.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    November 8th will be my first. Did a half in April, got a taste, and wanted the whole thing.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm running the Equinox Marathon in Fairbanks, Alaska on September 20th. The Equinox is not your run of the mill marathon course either. There is an 1,800 foot elevation climb and drop and most of the 26.2 miles is on trails.

My coach lives in Fairbanks and runs the Equinox. That's ain't no joke marathon there. He ran 3:17 there last year, which was good for 7th OA. He's a 2:5x marathoner on a more reasonable road course.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I just signed up for the Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville, AL for December 13th. Longest run was 18 miles which was this past Saturday. Weekly miles are between 40-47 miles right now. And oh, I only have been running consistently since this past October. But in that time I ran 2 10K's and a half.

Good luck.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first on November 23rd in Philadelphia.

I'm in base building now, with formal training starting in three more weeks.

I'm up to 40 - 45 mpw now and feeling very good.

Ted
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm running the Equinox Marathon in Fairbanks, Alaska on September 20th. The Equinox is not your run of the mill marathon course either. There is an 1,800 foot elevation climb and drop and most of the 26.2 miles is on trails.

My coach lives in Fairbanks and runs the Equinox. That's ain't no joke marathon there. He ran 3:17 there last year, which was good for 7th OA. He's a 2:5x marathoner on a more reasonable road course.

It's going to be a challenge for absolute sure. I'm not above walking which I'm sure I will do a fair amount of! I got a half marathon under my belt this weekend and I'm feeling pretty good! I do wish I had picked a more "reasonable" course for my first, but it got stuck in my stubborn head that I was doing it!
  • sassycraftyfit
    Options
    I'm running my first in mid-October in Atlantic City :)
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Signed up for first full marathon...Disney World Marathon, January 2015 (as part of my 60th birthday bucket list). Formal training starts tomorrow--July 1st. Already completed 3 half-marathons, a 15K, and several 5Ks.
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My third marathon is on October 12 and I'm only at a 10-mile long run right now, and I'm ahead of my normal schedule. You'll be fine!
  • valentine4
    Options
    Overwhelming response is yes. So yes it is! thanks guys it is the 27th of October, sounds like alot of us will be doing them around that time and the few months afterwards. Thank god for mpf we can trade tips/advice.

I better go register now :)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Signed up for first full marathon...Disney World Marathon, January 2015 (as part of my 60th birthday bucket list). Formal training starts tomorrow--July 1st. Already completed 3 half-marathons, a 15K, and several 5Ks.

Done my first full marathon about 5 weeks ago, as someone else said, the marathon itself was the easy part, the 18 weeks training leading up to it was the difficult part, you cease to have a life, I was running in the forest 4 times a week (I hated that bloody forest by the end of the training), when people ask what you're doing at the weekend, you reply in miles, you never have enough running socks, you start to eye up places that you can plank water bottles for the next lap!!!

I've got 3 half marathons left this year (incluing Vegas Rock & Roll, wanted to do the full, but will be up for 28hrs before hand with guy's that are doing Worlds Toughest Mudder so decided to take it easy with the half).

I'm planning on doing the Goofy and a half in January 2016 (yes you also start to plan that far ahead), going through a sports tour operator for the New York marathon next November and the maintain between November and January and do Florida as well, although suspect that the heat may kill me, after training in Scotland over the winter and trying to run in Florida!!!

If you're already at 18 miles, you'll smash it:)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I made the decision just yesterday to sign up for my first marathon. It's in 17 weeks time. I'd love to share motivation, experience and tips with the people here.

I've been pretty poor with training consistency and effort for a lot of this year, but am picking it back up these past four weeks and am at 50kms a week and feeling comfortable. Long run is currently only 16k (10m).

I've never run beyond half marathon distance before so have a lot of new territory to explore and I need to start researching how to configure a good training plan. Running 6 times a week at the moment (oriented around weight loss) which I don't think will be suitable to allow adequate recovery as the long run increases..........

Good luck to everyone up above with their first!
  • valentine4
    Options
    Oh Gillian if you are in Scotland you might be able to give me some further advice!

My hubby is from Glasgow we are heading over in a few weeks, I am hoping to walk the west highland way I only have a few days to do it hopefully 4/5, going to bnb it for the first couple of nights then himself and the children are going to camp and I will meet them. All advice greatly appreciated!

For our american friends - its a fab 96 mile walk through the highlands, great pre-marathon training :) plus if I do that I think it will give me a bit more confidence running the marathon.

regards,

valentine