Stocking Up For Pre-Surgery Liquid Diet

Options
relentless2121
relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
Although my surgery isn't until at least September, lastnight when I was at Walmart I purchased my first 2 packs of Diabetic Boost.
That is the liquid shake that my program puts it's patients on. I realize that under normal circumstances, people wouldn't be jumping up and clicking their heels about that, but these are not normal circumstances.
I'M STARTING TO GRADUALLY STOCK UP ON THE 90 SHAKES I HAVE TO BUY. They aren't covered by my insurance but my surgery program is so I cannot complain.

It's getting so very exciting now that it's getting closer and closer. :drinker: :laugh:
It's starting to really seem like it's getting REAL. YEAH!!!!

I've been looking around for Diabetic Boost and having difficulty finding it where I see the other varieties of Boost down the pharmacy aisle.
I decided to walk up to the main pharmacy desk (but it was closed that late that night). I looked down and it was right there. I guess it was with other Diabetic supplies.
I was so excited to find it. I purchased the Chocolate and the Vanilla. I'm gonna spread out the purchases so they aren't so hard on the pocket book.
I'm starting to really pay attention to the High Protein Shakes, Puddings, Crystals etc. when I go into different stores.

I will likely be placing an online order for some Syntrax, Unjury or Isopure products if I'm not able to find them in my city.
I've also been exploring the Low Carb Grocery and Low Carb Canada sites that were highly recoommended to me by a good friend on the site.

Being in Canada, not all American products are available here but some of these are.

If anyone has any ideas of some products that helped them tremendously in early recovery I would be very grateful to receive them.
I'm also considering ordering vitamins online but I'm gonna check out Costco here first as I know they carry liquid Calcium Citrate and Premier Chocolate shakes but do not carry the other flavors. Those shakes seem very popular.

I've lost at least 5 lbs. this past week by cutting down on my Carbs. Thanks again to another friend on the site for that recommendation. I learn so much about this life change by reading the daily posts and forming friendships through the site.
Thanks again to all who are teaching me about awesome things to come. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• joyhibbz
    joyhibbz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I bought a lot of my protein powders from bodybuilding.com as I stocked up on them gradually as well. I also found a good deal on some canned protein shakes made by Weider they were in Dollarama so I bought a nice few of those. If you do try those I recommend putting them in a blender or using an immersion blender on them as they do have some lumps in them. But once I use my immersion blender on them they are great and you cant' beat $1.00!

I don't have a membership to costco but I do know that our costco usually only has chocolate premier shakes, however they do get in the vanilla ones on occasion. A lot of the sleeved people here swear by those shakes I haven't tried them so I don't know how they are.

We weren't told to buy specific shakes we were given guidelines on what we should look for when we bought our powders or premixed shakes. I have tried several different brands of Strawberry protein shakes and they have all tasted horrible at least to me anyway. I did get a pina colada one that was awesome but I can't remember the brand now but I got it from bodybuilding.com they had buy 2 get 1 free deal on.

Good Luck and you are doing awesome already so you are definitely going to rock your sleeve :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Be careful about stocking up too much for post surgery. Often your tastes dramatically change. The wonderful raspberry sorbet Unjury shake I loved prior to surgery was revolting after surgery. You might look in to sample packs that you can experiment with or go to a post surgery support group. At our meetings every one brings the products they can't stand anymore to give away so they don't get wasted.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thank you both Joy and Mangopickle for your feedback. I really appreciate it.
    I have a sample shake of Premier Protein Chocolate to try that my hairdresser buys by the case at Costco. She gave me one to try.
    I didn't realize that you are supposed to refrigerate them.

I never would have thought that a Dollar store would have protein shakes. I'll definitely check it out Joy.

For now I am only purchasing the Diabetic Boost as that is all that we can have on our pre-op fast that I know of. There will be a seminar about the pre-op diet as I get closer to it.

I would really like to have some basics in the house as I know I'll be too weak to shop initially and I live alone. So the more preparation I do the better. When I go for my 6 month pre-op check in on Aug. 12 I'll ask about some brands of protein powder that they recommend and do some exploring from there.

I just think it will be very hard to adjust to all the new products post surgery, especially feeling weak and lousy for the first while.
    But I realize the importance of checking in with my Bariatric Team before I go and spend a lot of money on some of the popular brands and flavors.
    I know a few people who were part of the study done in Winnipeg 2 years ago before the surgery was financially covered by my health care plan. I think I will get in touch with them to get an idea of what to expect product wise. It is the same surgical team now as it was then.
    Thanks again my friends for your imput. :smile:
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Also, check out Amazon. They have tones of protein powders and drinks in stock, and they deliver!!!
  • wendyp1000
    wendyp1000 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am amazed at how different the surgical centers are from each other. Where I am being 'sleeved', Cleveland Clinic in Weston Florida, the nutritionist doesn't like Boost. She says it has too many carbs and she would prefer a brand like "Pure Protein Drink" or Premier Protein Drinks that have 20g of protein in each bottle. I have been on a mostly liquid diet since Wednesday last week. I just had so many snacks and whatnot around that I decided to meter it out and keep a log on this website. So, I am doing a MOSTLY liquid diet with occasional Dried Apricots, soups but with seaweed in them for protein etc...

Flavors I have already tried:
    - Blueberry Isopure in the 20 oz glass bottle - these suckers are great for protein intake (40 g) BUT have an aftertaste and a very strong flavor. It took me three days to get down the bottle because I needed to work out how it sat on my taste buds. Finally I decided to water it down to half strength and it went down much better. Good because after surgery, you need to get down 64 oz of fluid each day (including the Isopure and the protein) When I first took a taste, it was very refreshing - kind of like a lemonade on a hot summer's day - but then the aftertaste hit me...

- my plan is to try at least 3 more flavors before surgery date (July 9th) BUT at GNC here in Florida, they are almost $5.00 a bottle!

- Boost - chocolate is delicious, so is strawberry - buy the one labeled "Glucose Control" - if I continue to drink this post-surgery, my plan is to add whey powder to the drink because it only has 10-15 grams of protein per drink. To be worth your while, you should get foods that will do double duty (more protein) so you can kill two birds with one stone (protein and liquids) - if necessary, I will also add more water to the mix in addition to the whey powder. - - if you are not a diabetic, you can buy the high protein version which contains the full sugar amount ... BUT has alot of sugar in it - otherwise I would buy it myself
    (http://www.boost.com/nutritional-drinks)
    - Glucerna (the one for diabetics) is good also (Chocolate)
    - EAS AdvantEDGE - I've tried the chocolate and the strawberry so far (chocolate - 15g of protein, strawberry - 17g protein) - the strawberry seemed watery to me ... I might invest in some flavor drops from the tea/koolaid aisle in my supermarket. If they have strawberry, it would be worth it to add to this protein drink.

Hope this all helps,

Wendy
    Surgery date: (VSG) - July 9th
    Final Meeting with doctor's - June 30th
    C.W (Current Weight) - 274
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Hi Authorwriter, thanks for the suggestion about Amazon. I live in Canada and have ordered books from Amazon but not sure if I can also order other products from Amazon but it's worth checking into.

Hi Wendy, thanks for the post. I see that you are new here. WELCOME TO THE GROUP. :flowerforyou:

Yes, every program is different, that is for sure. But it's important that we stick to the guidelines of the programs we are given.

I only plan to take the Diabetic Boost for the 2 week liquid fast to shrink the liver before surgery.
    I just checked the package and the 237 ml size has 190 calories and 16 grams of carbs.
    I am not Diabetic but this is what they put us on in my Canadian city.

I'm not sure if the Isopure is available here in Canada. If anyone knows perhaps you could let me know.
    I would imagine that shipping full bottles of liquids would cost a lot in postage in Canada and delivery that is sometimes free in the USA is usually not outside of the country.

To all the Canadians that know about placing orders in the USA, please let me know. I would like to order some Syntrax Nectar to try too. We do not have a GNC in my city.

Thanks for all the great feedback Wendy. When I have my pre-fast seminar closer to surgery I'll be able to find out if I'm allowed anything else during the liquid fast time but I think my program is pretty strict about that.

I look forward to exploring some highly recommended protein powders and shakes after the surgery if I am allowed.
    They do sell the Premier Chocolate Protein Shakes here at Costco but don't carry the Vanilla or Strawberry in my city.

I'm starting to browse around and see what is out there. I don't have a Costco membership yet but will get one in the near future.

Nice to meet you Wendy. :smile:
  • eskipilot
    eskipilot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    go to the site Nashua nutrition.... you can order individual samples of protein drinks, puddings etc. they are fairly reasonable. I ordered about 20 different ones and I saw on there I think they deliver to Canada also. You can also get vitamins, high protein meals etc on there. I was on a diet a couple years ago and I bought products here because they were cheaper than my dr office and thats how I knew about the site. also has all the vitamins you might need. If you order a certain amount you pay no shipping. They carry lots of different kinds of proteins and lots of packs that have individual packets which are great for travel or work. Good luck and happy shopping. Also look for Protein Isolate in dry protein shake mixes because it is a better and more high quality protein from what I've read. Apparently there is a difference and the isolate is a bit more expensive but less fillers. Vitamin shoppe has cases of Isopure ready to drink that is free shipping and best prices on the internet. Good luck with your weight loss. I have my surgery in Mexico on the 24th of next month.
    -Becky
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I purchased powdered Isopure from Amazon and really didn't like the stuff, hence I have most of it left. I am keeping it in case I run into somebody who'd like it. And I'm thinking I might be able to mix it into something else. Maybe it would be better as a frozen-treat made in the ice cream maker? Because it is an excellent, low-calorie source of pure protein in a small volume. But just a heads up, so you don't buy a lot of it and have it sitting around. It is much cheaper in it's powdered form than in the bottles and if you make up a small pitcher and chill it well, you should be able to get it down.

That sounds awful, I know. Those first weeks out of surgery are difficult and the eating is pretty limited. Personally, I don't much like the Pure Protein, but I keep them around to take with if I'm out and about and can't get a regular meal. I like the Eas Advantage better, but the Pure Protein is thicker and more filling.

Here's a funny aside. I took a sip of the Pure Protein once and the cat jumped on me and I spit it onto the computer screen and some other electronics and...no lie...I'm STILL trying to scrape it off the screen. I don't know what is in it, but whatever it is, that's probably why its so filling!

This is all a long-winded way of saying I know you want to stock up, but you don't want a bunch of stuff lying around that you really can't stand to drink. So get the samples, but undertand, you may not like those items after you have the surgery. There are lots of sources online, so get enough to tide you over for after surgery, then you can order in what you like.

I'm so excited for you, by the way. How nice when your surgery is finally past. you've been such a support to everybody here on the boards.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thanks so much Becky for the tops, and welcome to the site. I see this is your very first post. Keep em coming. lol. :smile: :flowerforyou:

Thanks also Authorwriter for your suggestions and feedback. Thanks also for the kudos.

I will definitely check out the tips you both have given. I'm just window shopping for now and only purchasing my pre-op shakes and looking at vitamins. Once I know for sure what my plan says I can have post-op I'll definately place an order of samples.
    Thanks again. You guys rock. :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Premier protein shakes are really good. They have 30 grams of protein per 11 oz shake, and have a lot of vitamins and minerals in them. In the US, we can buy them at wholesale clubs like BJs, and they are pretty affordable. The chocolate flavor tastes good, and is not chalky at all. If you have wholesale clubs in Canada like that (you must, right?) I would see what you can buy in bulk. You save so much over buying multiple 4-packs.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thanks for the tip.
    I know that they sell the Chocolate Premier shakes at Costco here in Canada but I don't think they have the other flavors.
    I have a chocolate shake to try that my friend bought in a case at Costco. I am definitely going to take out a membership there.
    Thanks again. :flowerforyou: