Am I the only one not taking Metformin?

Options
swinnie239
swinnie239 Posts: 423 Member
Everyone on this board seems to be on Metformin. Am I the only one not on it?

I take the sprino-something or other (I forget the rest of the name) for the extra testonsterone in my system and Provera every month for a few days.

Replies

• HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't, and never did, take any form of medication for my PCOS. I don't like to take medication if it's not absolutely necessary. I'm prescription-free.
  • mw1213
    mw1213 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't take anything. Not really losing weight though either. I'm due for a doctor visit for a "yearly" exam, and have full intentions of asking about being put on some medication. I've cut carbs and calories, and im exercising 3-4 times a week and gaining weight. So something here isn't right. :( .................. Good luck with you though!
  • Nightstar76
    Nightstar76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't take it either, my doctor is just asking me to lose weight so that I can avoid diabetes. I was put on it once before but although I did lose weight with it, it came back and I didn't like how I felt on it. Also if I can get myself on track without the drugs I'll feel better about it. I think for some doctors as soon as you are diagnosed with PCOS and have signs of insulin resistance plus being over weight they put you on it right away.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm not on metformin. I took it once before and it made me feel so sick and completely took away my appetite.
    I found out that I do not have Insulin Resistance with my PCOS, so I'm not sure the Metformin would do me any good? I'm not completely sure though. I'm still researching it all.
    The only thing I'm on right now is a low hormonal birth control.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am not on Metformin. Couldnt take that stuff... and dont think I needed it anyway.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking any PCOS-related meds. I'm on MS meds though.

I'm going to a new PCP soon though and I want to ask her if she thinks I'd benefit from being on Met. I have finally (after ridiculous amounts of effort) lost the weight and my cycles are somewhat more regular so I'm not sure if I'd benefit. I wouldn't mind losing another 5 lbs of fat ... from my belly, to be specific. ;) Not sure if Met could help with that. They really need a belly fat spot-reducing med. ;)
  • FrancescaWebb
    FrancescaWebb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Metformin either. I was never prescribed anything for my PCOS other than birth control.
  • MontagneGitane
    MontagneGitane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking it. My doctor is very supportive of trying non-medication methods of controlling my PCOS unless my labs go out of control.
  • 1Year100Pounds
    1Year100Pounds Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one!!! I'm med free too (aside from birth control)
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Prescription-free here. I want to control this naturally.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was put on to prevent diabetes since my A1C is creeping up and we have family history. I want to get off so the weight loss will be important part of that.