Ugh...feeling like an outsider

Options
Mizz_LaLa
Mizz_LaLa Posts: 7 Member
I'm only a week into eating gluten free, and it's a struggle. I'm ok when I'm at home, but when I'm at work or out with friends, everyone acts like I'm just doing this because it's "trendy". They don't realize that I really have a problem with gluten, so it's like they're waiting for me to snap out of my "phase" and go back to eating bagels like I used to. I've already had to opt out of our department lunch where they ordered Chinese food and had cake for a coworker's birthday. Just trying to navigate this new lifestyle....

Vent over. :smile:

Replies

• SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I've been on a wheat-free diet for almost 20 years. When it became "trendy," the only thing that became easier for me was that the food got better. My family knows, but I'm not entirely sure they still get it, because they'll say things like "We're having lasagna for dinner on Sunday, when you come out."

There are ALWAYS going to be people who judge you for what you eat or don't eat. There are people who are pushing their own food issues on you, because they don't have the strength to address their own issues. I would bet money that it's not the super fit or super thin girl pushing the cake on you. It's probably the one who probably doesn't need the cake.

They way I see it, I put these people up there with the folks who push sweets on a diabetic. "It's just one piece. It's not going to KILL you." It might not KILL you, but you're the one who'll suffer the belly pain, skin irritation, or however it gets you.

You're NOT alone.
    As hard as it is to hear it, ignore these people. Assume that they either have the best of intentions and they WANT you to be a part of the group; that they are completely clueless; or that they're just not that important.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    You can always say my doctor told me that I can't eat that way anymore if I want to feel healthy. Maybe your doc did say something or, maybe not, but they don't need to know. If you know there is going to be an 'event' you can just bring your own and eat with the group. Perhaps they will realize that they can still socialize with you even though you eat GF, and you will work out ways to socialize without making it all about the food.
  • Mizz_LaLa
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. I was just angry earlier because a co-worker actually said to me, "Ohhh, you're one of the 'glu-tards' now, huh?" LOL. I can laugh now, but it pissed me off at the time. Another co-worker actually looked online and found a nice pizza place with gluten free crust and asked me to go to lunch today. So I guess they're not all bad! :flowerforyou:

Thanks again for your positivity!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Make a joke and roll with the fact they think you're doing it because it's trendy.

I usually say I'm doing it because Miley Cyrus is. :D
  • Mizz_LaLa
    Options
    Make a joke and roll with the fact they think you're doing it because it's trendy.

I usually say I'm doing it because Miley Cyrus is. :D

I absolutely love that response!
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    We've been GF for about 6 years. My MIL still thinks we have us and our daughters on a GF diet because we're anti-establishment hippies and not because my wife and youngest daughter get sick if they eat it.

We've had a few people over the past year or so make comments about GF being the latest bandwagon. I sometimes try to explain gluten intolerance or celiacs to help them better understand why we eat like we do if I think they are interested or receptive. If they are just tossing snarky comments out to hear themselves talk I don't bother.

I heard from this one lady who heard it from this other guy who heard it from @kirkor that Miley Cyrus is jumping on the GF bandwagon. Since I missed the parachute pants, caesar haircuts and beanie babies bandwagons I better grab onto this GF stuff while it's still hot.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Since I missed the parachute pants, caesar haircuts and beanie babies bandwagons I better grab onto this GF stuff while it's still hot.

That's OK, soggy.... parachute pants are back (for women at least, lol)
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My MIL still thinks we have us and our daughters on a GF diet because we're anti-establishment hippies ...

This made me laugh out loud. Truly! And, I just laughed again after re-reading it. :laugh:

I'm 100% GF but have discovered the hard way that I'm also highly sensitive to both xanthan and guar gums so that rules out a good portion of the mass produced GF food available. As well, companies that are certified GF only have to hit a certain ppm - in the USA I think it's 20ppm and in Canada 10ppm (this may not be the most current info).

If you're one of the folks who needs to be 100% GF, you really have to take matters into your own hands and ignore what anyone says to you and take care of yourself.

Last week I took my entire admin team out to celebrate the fact that they're amazing. I let them choose the restaurant and it was a pasta place. No worries.....I brought my own food and ate it like it was nothing out of the ordinary. A few of them have witnessed my reaction to eating something with hidden gluten (when I first was diagnosed) and it was so bad they were ready to call 911. No one has a problem with me saying no thanks to what I just can't eat. :)
  • jenmaclean66
    Options
    I am off gluten for two months now, and I am very clear that it's doctor's orders - and then if I get any **** about it, I bring up the *delightful* gastro effects I'll suffer if I were to have just one bite of that cookie. That usually hushes em quick!

Yeah, I have no filter with my co-workers. They've learned. It's part of my charm. :flowerforyou:

It DOES get easier, rest assured. Well... cake day at work never does, but the other 29 days of the month are ok. And so worth the change in health if you're having symptoms. I noticed in a week - how have you been feeling since ditching gluten?
  • krmthomas
    krmthomas Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I actually appreciate the fact it's "trendy" now. More restaurants and food manufactures are on the bandwagon which equals more options and lower prices. I love to bake so I would bring in a GF cupcake on days they would have cake at work so i didn't feel so left out. I like to person who compared it to diabetes... i typically use that to those who are just plain rude about it. More often than not people aren't being rude for the sake of it but rather are ignorant. The first few weeks are the hardest as you adjust to a different diet and the gluten is working its way out of your system. The other challenge is re-training your brain and learning all the sneaky places gluten hides (soy sauce, soup even so brands of ice cream) and learning to read food labels. You'll get there, try looking up "Gluten Free Goddess" for some help during the re-training process. She made it so much easier for me!
  • Eadne
    Eadne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm only a week in also! Fortunately (I guess), I got an official diagnosis of Celiac Disease so people tend to take me a bit more seriously when I say I can't eat something. This whole "gluten-free as trendy thing" is really frustrating for a LOT of people. Stay strong! You remember that you are eating for health :) Best of luck!