A Pastafarian Losing Faith

Options
dpurzer
dpurzer Posts: 17 Member
Hello Foodies!

I just started calorie counting with MFP and was absolutely thrown aback when I saw the wallop that "normal" pasta packs. Once the shock had passed I looked at wheat pasta... I only cried a little. Rice noodles were also not the savior I was looking for.

Is my quest in vain? Have any of you found a good alternative/brand/type that you can actually enjoy without pangs of guilt?

Thank you!
-David

Replies

• ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    Well, I have to eat gluten free anyway because of my Celiac disease, but I'm a big fan of buckwheat pastas. I usually get mine at the local asian grocery stores, but a lot of regular grocery stores are starting to carry them too. Try to find something that's mostly buckwheat or quinoa or millet. They're really tasty and have a much heartier flavor than your average pasta. I also try to make dishes with lots of spinach or eggs or something to cut down on the pasta I'm actually using.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pasta is obnoxiously calorie laden even without sauce! Dreamfields brand is slightly lower carb and tastes good.. but it only helps a little. I mostly just try to avoid pasta anymore and if I do have some as a treat I try to keep it under a cup of dry pasta before cooking which is *two* servings and that still packs a hefty calorie load for the little bowl of pasta that represents. The good news is once you start giving the pasta the stink eye, it's hard not to do it towards cheese too. At that point you're off most Italian food and can just focus on other things. :laugh:
  • BeckyAndie
    BeckyAndie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In the produce section of my grocery store there is a soy section. In that section are soy and yam flour noodles called Shirataki Noodles. They need to be rinsed well and patted dry so they'll soak up sauce. You can have a whole package (2 servings) for 40 calories. They are a bit more chewy than regular pasta, but I find them to be a good substitute when I really want pasta.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I do not restrict carbs but cals. I am learning to tame pasta.
    In the right amount, it is great for a light lunch.
    I prefer long pasta instead of short pasta for cals' sake.
    I can have a 100 gr of great spaguetti plus 50 gr of bolognese sauce in a 300 cals lunch!
    That will carry me most of the afternoon..
    Pasta moves FAST through your system so you would be hungry by 4:30 or 5:00 pm so have an orange ready!
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I know it's not pasta, but spaghetti squash makes a pretty damn good replacement!
  • rvicini
    Options
    Well Missoula, that's a first!
  • dpurzer
    dpurzer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So many new things to try! Thanks!
  • rvicini
    Options
    I am actually taking my first steps on healthier breads and carbs and just baked my first wholewheat and flax seed breads.. Like a rock.. Very solid! lol
    I also have a pasta machine, I will start testing in a few days, if wifey doesn't throw me one of my own-baked breads.. lol
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm craving pasta, I make quinoa instead. It's certainly not a substitute for pasta, but it is a delicious mild-tasting whole grain and is much yummier than whole wheat pasta. It's full of minerals, a good source of protein, and contains fewer carbs than pasta. If you've not tried it yet, I highly recommend that you do!
  • rvicini
    Options
    Quinoa is expensive, at least down here...
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes, quinoa can be expensive. I usually stock up when I find it on sale. It's also available here at Costco for a very reasonable price - package is twice the size of the grocery store one and the price is nearly the same.
  • rvicini
    Options
    Quinoa sounds great though.. I have had puffed quinoa and also baked quinoa bread..
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just measure the pasta out first. 2oz is plenty after I cover it in veggies and a marinara sauce and some protein. For something different though, I eat black bean noodles really regularly! 25g protein and a ton of fiber.
  • kathie1313
    kathie1313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've had shirataki noodles also. They, as other contributor said, need to be rinsed and dried.

Not only good w/sauce, but good in soups!
  • VioletSauce
    VioletSauce Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-chic-table/spaghetti-squash-noodles-veggies-not-pasta.html

noodles made from veggies? I've been meaning to try this I'm missing pasta too :(