How do you adjust a training schedule around races?

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
So, the deal is, my husband bought me a year pass to a local trail race series - one race every month.

A few months later I registered for my very first marathon, the Chicago marathon in October.

I have my training schedule plotted out on a calendar and the thing is, 3 runs conflict with races.

On 7/5 I am registered for a 5 mile trail race and am supposed to run an 11 mile long run.

On 8/24 I am registered for a half but am supposed to run 18 the day before.

On 9/20 I am registered for a 4 mile trail run but am supposed to run 20.

I am not worried about the half - that series of weeks goes 15/HM/17/18/13 so I figure I will just flip the 18 and the 13 weeks.

But the other two weeks I am not sure. For the one next week I am thinking, since it's a holiday weekend, run my long run on Friday. do the trail as cross training on Saturday and force myself to take designated walk breaks so I can't over do it, and rest on Sunday when I'd usually cross. 11 isn't long enough that I'm worried about doubling up too much, I've run a half fairly recently and I feel very strong. I think as long as I don't push it on the trail the next day this should be fine.

The four mile race the weekend of the 20 miler is more concerning though. Would a similar plan work? Should I skip one of these races? I hate to do that since they are paid for but to be honest the marathon is much more important to me.

Using Hal Higdon Novice 2 if that matters.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have this going on in my marathon training as well. I have 10 runs/race starting next month and continuing until November, 2 each month. 2 5Ks next month, 2 5 milers in Aug, 2 10Ks in Sept, 2 10 milers in Oct and finally 2 HMs in November, followed by the St. Jude Marathon the first week in December. All of them I plan on adding more distance at either the beginning or the end of the races, and keeping them all slow miles...no trying to PR or anything like that. It kind of works out perfect because I can refill my water and I can test out race gear before the marathon and really get a good idea of what to use and what not to use.

I am following my local running clubs training plan which is basically an altered RW one.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    So, the deal is, my husband bought me a year pass to a local trail race series - one race every month.

A few months later I registered for my very first marathon, the Chicago marathon in October.

I have my training schedule plotted out on a calendar and the thing is, 3 runs conflict with races.

On 7/5 I am registered for a 5 mile trail race and am supposed to run an 11 mile long run.

On the weekends you have short races, you do your long run the next day, or the day before. OR you can do the extra mileage later in the day or right after the race.

Like for a 4 miler, you would probably do a 2 miler warm up anyway, so that's 6 miles, leaving you only 14 to get done that day. Or do all 20 the next day.

the 5 miler race is no big deal: 2 mile warm up, race, 4 miles left. easy peasy. :)

I'm an ultramarathoner and do frequent races, but I have a coach now who figures out this stuff for me, thank goodness. ha ha ha. but, I have a long run two days in a row, now.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Thank you both for the suggestions! Much appreciated =)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say without looking at the entire schedule as a whole. I'll give some general comments about the three specific races, but without really knowing everything that's on either side of the race, it's probably not really going to be the best information.
    This one is easy. Couple mile warm up, couple miles cool down and you're good to go.
    If you are going to run a HM during marathon training, and you should, it should take the place of the long run that week. I wouldn't run any more before or after either. It should be an all out race effort, providing that it's 5 to 8 weeks out from the marathon. You need to adjust the following week to allow for some recovery too.
    Move the 20 to the other week end day.

If you want to me to look at the entire schedule, I'll be happy to take a peek.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I would really appreciate that, Carson. Should I post it here or would you prefer I PM?
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would add the extra miles in. Due to my work schedule I never do long runs on a set day of the week just because it doesn't work for me. So I would just swap days or add in the extra miles
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question, I had the same type question in mind.
    If you are going to run a HM during marathon training, and you should, it should take the place of the long run that week. I wouldn't run any more before or after either. It should be an all out race effort, providing that it's 5 to 8 weeks out from the marathon. You need to adjust the following week to allow for some recovery too.
    [/quote]

What do you do if the marathon is 11 weeks beyond the HM? How does one run 6-8 "extra" miles on the end of the half-marathon? Do you just double back and go back along the path toward the incoming runners for like 3 miles and then turn around? (i.e. for 6 additional miles total?) ...this seems a bit awkward with having to go through the chute & collect your medal & all.

I checked and there are no other convenient HMs in my area in the 5-8 week window.