All Pro 2

Options
PennyHarris123
PennyHarris123 Posts: 159 Member
Hi
Just thought I'd chip in - I've done the all pro 1 routine before and really liked it...then broke my leg....getting there now after 6 months and back in the gym and up to my 'before accident weights'. Had a personal trainer who's given me a split routine of 3 x a week so only once on each body part...just thought I'd read through this group again and gonna give the 2nd All Pro routine a go, twice a week on upper/lower, think I prefer this and will work it harder. I read NROLFW and the routines I find are really short for me and I feel like I'm not working hard enough.....like the look of this....anyone else doing it out there?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Both Pandora and I have done it.

I think that she did it 3x a week A/B/A, B/A/B? I'm sure she'll correct me if that's wrong!

I did it 4x a week A/B/A/B, but almost totally changed it from the original. So my experience might not be too helpful for you. I'll answer any questions if I can for you though. If you check out the AP#2 sticky, I posted my take on it. I think I ran it for 5-6 months, in the end, but I'd have to check my exercise diary to be sure...

It's a good routine though.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Jimmer is right that I also did this routine. As All Pro suggested I did the first cycle ABA BAB, then switched to ABAB ABAB. I really liked doing this routine, because it has room in it to do more then the main compound exercises. I stayed very close to the routine as described by All Pro. :happy:
  • PennyHarris123
    Options
    thanks
    I'll have a look at the sticky when I have chance later.....I did A last night and loved it...I did add a couple of extras as felt like it and had time before my spinning class to kill.
    I'm going to try ABAB this week and see how I feel. I do prefer doing the full body twice a week than just split I think.....I'll let you know how it goes :flowerforyou:
  • PennyHarris123
    Options
    Just read it thank you for that.
    Think I may need to change the leg extensions/curls...not sure how I feel about doing them - I broke my leg 6 months ago and although I have a plate in those particular machines put pressure on exactly where the main break was and it kinda makes me cringe! I CAN do them....my personal trainer had me doing them albeit on a lightish weight - but I'm not sure. I see you replaced with regular deadlift....I may try that.....or clean and press do you think?
    :bigsmile:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If I let you know why I modified it the way I did, then perhaps it can help you make your own choices.

Well, I stripped out all the machine stuff because I don't have machines. Things like leg extensions and curls can be adequately (more than adequately) replaced with Bulgarians, Front Squats and RDL's (which also happen to be two of my favourite lifts)

I wanted to deadlift, and the front squat makes an ideal lift for a deadlift day. I also wanted to power clean and they are a great lift to do before deads to get your cns firing and warm up the body.

I also wanted to do lifts that have athletic carry-over so front squats, power cleans, single leg work (the bulgarians), explosive upper body lifts like the push press and pendlay rows (another two of my favourite lifts).

Since these are all fairly taxing compound lifts, I figured 4 a day would be enough (it was). In order to fit everything in I went for a same-but-different approach to the two upper and lower days:

Both upper days had a vertical pull (chin up variant), horizontal pull (row variant), vertical push (military press/push press) and horizontal push (bench, weighted dips). Both lower days had a squat variant, a deadlift variant and calf work. The only thing slightly different was power cleans on one day and bulgarian split squats on the other - not exactly analogues of each other (but both with great carryover in their own way for an athlete).

Admittedly, it comes out not looking much like the original, but the soviet dual factor progression is still there and the spirit of the original is alive in the bench and squat days. And the push press and deadlift days are inspired by these, too.

Hopefully that'll give you some ideas. Remember the original has specific lifts for specific reasons, so be mindful of what you are swapping for what and how it will affect the balance of the routine.

Also, it's a truck-load of volume and if your calorie intake isn't up to the job, it'll bury you. I cut extremely slowly on it and it tolerates a long cut well if you are within sight of maintenance calories. Stray too far into deficit and you might start to regret it!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I did ALL Pro 2 as well. I think I did three cycles. I did it ABAB, and stuck pretty close to the program, except I substituted hip thrusts (wo a barbell) for leg curls. Only because my equipment was poor.

I liked it, but I get bored easily, and doing the same thing all the time wore on me. So too did the 4 days per week once my kids started doing more summer activities. I'm doing All Pro 1 now, and really love it. But you've already done that so you know!! Good luck to you.
  • PennyHarris123
    Options
    thanks everyone, think I'll just stick to the programme and my pt mentioned doing the extensions and curls although with a lighter weight slowly which still taxes the muscles.....i'll see how I get on, first leg day this afternoon.
    I'm eating at TDEE maybe 10% less some days.....so not undereating I'd say.....i'll be mindful of how I feel
    wish me luck!!!
    chunkmunk, yes I get bored easily too although did all pro 1 I think 4-5 times, can't remember...It really worked for me.
    5.5 weeks til bikini time and holiday so wanna get this butt in gear after falling behind due to my accident...grrr....:sad: