Treats?

Options
alipene
alipene Posts: 945 Member
So what treats do your equine friends enjoy most. For my mare it's pears....her tongue is everywhere, licking her lips...horsey heaven for her!

Replies

• foxyninja398
    foxyninja398 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My old pony loved pears as well! We had an old Arab gelding who loved fresh strawberries too.

We have several minis that won't eat fruit or veggies when offered as treats, but our minis pretty much all go nuts for Calf-Manna bite sized nuggets (all the flavors).
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My girl loves these peppermint flavoured cookies. Apples and carrots are okay, but nothing like the peppermint cookies.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Summer time in Florida means watermelon for the ponies. They love them.
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    We found something called Range Cubes. I suppose they're originally intended for livestock, but we've had the ingredients checked and there's nothing in them that's inimicable to horses. Locally, it's $10 for a 50 lb bag, and so far all of the horses at the equestrian center seem to love them.

My boy PJ certainly does. He also loves carrots and apples. So far that's all I've tried with him. My GF tried to feed her old guy a cheese cube. Apparently he didn't care for that at all! :laugh:
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Oh...and she's also anyone's for "Stud Muffins"! :love:

By the way, there are loads of horse treat recipes on the web, so I've noticed :happy:

I would never have thought of offering strawberries or watermelon! As for peppermint cookies...she would no doubt love them, but I wouldn't be able to be anywhere close as I hate the smell of any type of mint...and all that minty horsey-breath and slobber...

I'm in England so I don't suppose we have Range Cubes...and she's not having any of my cheese...especially if she's going to spit it out lol!
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My old man (30yo Welshie) loves just about any food, but now that he's dentally challenged, he's really enjoying squishy pears.
    My TB is a traditionalist - loves his carrots. He's taken up apples and pears, just so he can steal them from the pony, and I've started him on sweet potato. He's also partial to the odd nip of human flesh...
    They get boiled pumpkin in their feeds every few weeks - anecdotally, it's meant to be good for shifting sand. The pony loves it, the TB is a bit unsure, so doesn't get as much or he won't eat it.