Carb-crazed!

Options
weeziebeth
weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
So, I started on the super-Atkins-style 3 month supervised diet about 10 days ago. I haven't got on a scale but know I was losing weight-wastebands considerably looser. However, in the last day 1/2 I have gone carb crazy. Ugh, so incredibly frustrating! I know I've got to work through this, getting back up on the horse, and all. Just needing to vent, thank you for listening.

Replies

• authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yeah, always seems that when I get results on a program, I suddenly go nuts for what I'm not supposed to be eating and mess it up for myself.

Make yourself Protein Ice Cream to tame the sweet craving. Look up The World According to Eggface blog and check out her recipes. She has everything you can think of and it's all baritric surgery friendly.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    So, I started on the super-Atkins-style 3 month supervised diet about 10 days ago. I haven't got on a scale but know I was losing weight-wastebands considerably looser. However, in the last day 1/2 I have gone carb crazy. Ugh, so incredibly frustrating! I know I've got to work through this, getting back up on the horse, and all. Just needing to vent, thank you for listening.
    Get a carb count on all the veggies that you are allowed and stick to the ones on the higher end as you are transitioning. I have a 34 yr history of being unable to portion control wheat, rice, potato and processed corn so I let them go. I use hominy instead of potatoes in soups and stews. I make pizza crust from yellow squash, I use Shirataki noodles instead of wheat noodles. I use veggies for dip instead of chips or crackers. Quinoa or beans instead of rice. I make my own wraps out of quinoa and chick pea flour. Brownies and cakes from gluten free flour ( not low carb but not an addictive trigger food for me). When I eat wheat, rice, potato and processed corn I end up back in food prison locked in an endless obsession with my next carb fix. I become a completely normal person when I don't eat them. In our last support group we discussed how food addicts will talk about carbs like people talk about a new boyfriend or girlfriend. That was me in the past. You can do this. You can choose you over carbs. Most of us who are obese have eaten enough carbs for 3 lifetimes anyway this is what I remind myself when I see chips at the checkout. God bless.
  • SAANGLIN
    SAANGLIN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had my VSG nearly 3 years ago. I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to eat anything with high carbs or sugar. It's taken me awhile to realize this, but if I break down and eat carbs/sugar, I have major body aches/arthritis pain. I really thought I would be able to add some carbs back into my diet after I lost the weight after my VSG. I have come to the realization that it's just not worth re-gain and pain to eat carbs!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are carb-crazed, but that is actually a really good sign. It means that you are going through carb withdrawal as your body adjusts to burning fat instead of carbs for energy. Just tough it out for a few days, and the intensity of the craving will decrease, as you start to drop weight quickly. Congrats :smile:
  • weeziebeth
    Options
    Thanks all! Mangopickle, would you mind sharing your recipe for the wraps? I've had chick pea crisps before that were really good and I love a good fresh sandwich so I bet a wrap made with quinoa/chick pea flour would be delicious.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    High protein version of Alton Brown crepes
    2 large eggs (I use 1/2 c of egg beaters)
    3/4 cup milk (I use Kroger carbmaster milk for the higher protein)
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup chick pea flour
    1/3 cup amaranth flour
    1/3 cup quinoa flour
    Pinch of salt
    2 tablespoons melted butter

Canola or coconut oil, for coating the pan

Whisk ingredients and let sit 20 min.
    Heat 6 inch pan on med heat. Brush oil in pan. Use 1/4 cup measuring cup filled 3/4 full. You only want an ounce of batter. Swirl the batter around the pan. When the surface looks dry lift the edge of the crepe and flip. I lift the edge with a spatula and grab it with my finger tips and flip it. Makes 20 6" crepes, about 32 cal a crepe and 6 g of protein in a serving of 3

You can also use 1/2cup of gluten free flour and 1/2 cup chick pea or quinoa flour. As long as you use 1 cup total of flour you are good to go.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My bariatric nurse coordinator one time suggested a Chromium supplement can help with carb cravings. I did try it during my pre-op diet and found that it helped. May have been 90% mental, but I'll take it! I don't so much have that problem any more! At this point, I can eat what I like in small quantities, (always protein first)! and not be "crazed" for any one food group. I hope you find it gets easier too!
  • weeziebeth
    Options
    Thanks-that sounds fantastic!