50lbs to lose? Come join me!!

Options

Replies

• kgibbz
    kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have more than 50 to lose, ideally Id like to lose 70. If I lost 50 though I would be ecstatic! It has taken 11 years to get an official diagnosis. In hindsight I have no idea why doctors couldnt see all the red flags. Since I began my period at age 10 I have had terrible acne, irregular periods, horrible cramping, in 2008 my DHEA was 426, in 2011 my sex drive plummeted, and I have always been overweight. It was only recently when I found out Im insulin resistant did they connect the dots. I had to fight for the IR dx too. Noone believed anything was wrong with me. I was just "stressed" and stress causes acne and low libido, or I "dont eat right or exercise enough" and thats why I'm obese. Sorry I guess you can say Im bitter because I could have gotten this under control years ago.

Anyhow I am ready to get my butt in gear, but I am having a really hard time keeping my carbs in check and that it crucial to my blood sugars. =/ I can do well for a few days and then binge and have carb heavy meals all day. Today I started the 100oz water challenge so maybe that will help my skin clear up.

Oh I forgot to mention I am taking 2000mg of metformin daily with dinner.
  • RTL1234
    RTL1234 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome Nicole, Shax, and kgibbz!!!

Jen - That sounds like fun!! I'm such a type A person, planning out is necessary for anything! LOL Especially when it comes to my eating, I have to be prepared.

kgibbz - I struggle in the carb control too! My family (albeit we are not Italian) love all things pasta. Now that I have my own family I find myself passing bad habits along to my son, and my husband.

The great part about my husband is he will literally eat anything. He loves ALL vegetables, ALL fruits. The only thing he doesn't do is drinking milk. So thankfully he is on board with whatever. He could lose a few pounds too, not nearly as much as me though. Seems like he wants to lose and he is at goal in a month. Grrr! Men!
  • RTL1234
    Options
    On a side note, I did fix my language back to English. My son was messing on my MFP yesterday but I have no idea how an almost 3 year old could do it! lol
  • swinnie239
    swinnie239 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Kara, the net carbs are the total carbs less the fiber. Fiber absorbs differently into your system or something like that. I'm not really sure why it's sometimes counted as not as bad. I was trying for 50 gross (total) and could never get it, no matter how much I fiddled around with it. I'm at 50 net now. Some people say to go down to 100, some say 50, some say don't worry about it and just focus on glycemic index. It's up to you and your doctor to decide what's right for you.
  • sharimedina
    sharimedina Posts: 116
    Options
    Hi girls. Just a quick checkin from vacation. I am having a blast. Two days camping were awesome, so beautiful. I wish you could see my fb pics. I ate really well camping and did a really strenuous hike that burned over 1000 cals!! But, the city is different. I ate a healty but high calorie lunch out, then went to cheesecake factory last night. I ordered salad instead of fries with my burger, but got home and realized the damn thing was over 1000 calories...and I had a few bites of my husbands cheesecake. And since we were in a hotel with no kids and no driving, I had way too much to drink...lol Didn't even add those calories. Last day here and I will be anxious to see what the scale says. Packing healthy snacks has really helped. And also trying really hard to just eat when I am hungry and not just because I love food. Anyway, will catch up to posts in a couple days.

Hello to all the new posters!!
    Shari
  • mloreman
    mloreman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hope you all had a fabulous day :) Kara - you know that it was all water weight! It will go away!!! I was bad, bad, bad and ate pizza for dinner :( I'll do better!!!!!
  • sharimedina
    Options
    Oh no ladies....don't slip from the group!! It has been 3 days since anyone posted!

Happy 4th of July! Plan ahead and you guys can have a great day!

I got back from vacation and we had a fabulous 4 nights without the kids. I planned ahead and ate pretty well. 2 major slip ups was cheesecake factory dinner and I had a cheeseburger and salad instead of fries....that burger ended up being over 1000 calories. Then I had a subway meatball sub and it was also over 1000 calories!! OMG. I had split the meals over a meal and snack, but still. I had some good burns with a hike and swimming and walking. I was happy to lose 2.5 pounds this last week. ;) Not bad for vacation. 7.1 pounds in 2 weeks. Of course my husband lost 5 more pounds and ate like crap, so 15 total. So not fair. But I am not worried about it. So far I am still in motivated mode. :)

Tomorrow I am going to an engagement party luau. I have such a hard time with things like this because I like to pick at foods. It will take a lot of willpower.

Anyway, we never talked about a weigh day...but I weigh in on Fridays if anyone wants to join me.

Check IN!!!
  • RTL1234
    Options
    Sharin - WTG on your WL during vacation!! You did really great! :) How did the Luau go?

AFM: Not too much new. Doing decent on my eating, keep forgetting to log but I did yesterday and have so far today. Need to get more active! I didn't really do anything of value yesterday exercise wise. Maybe walked 15 minutes total, so not much at all. I think when my little guy goes down for a nap I will get on the treadmill. I think planning my whole day of food has helped. I did want to go to a festival tonight, but I'm really nervous. They have the normal amazing deep fried and BBQ kind of fair food and I do NOT wanna give in!

Kara
  • louisekerry86
    Options
    Hey everyone! :) I don't seem to be doing quite so well with the weightloss at the moment and it is really getting on my nerves. I work out 6 days a week and don't eat terribly, admittedly last night we had pizza but that is something we do very very rarely, I think I've had three maybe four pizzas in the last year lol! I went to the gym today though and I worked out for over an hour so I think I paid for it :P

I'm starting a Low GI diet today. We got a load of grocery shopping that's low GI. I tried it a few years ago and did lose some weight but there wasn't nearly as much information on it as there is now so it was really difficult to keep up with then. I just had AF as well which lasted a bit longer than usual. I weighed in the gym, drank a bottle of water and weighed again and the scale went up about 800g! So it just goes to show what water can do. AF has gone now and I'm back on the pills. I work out 6 days a week, half cardio half strength, I just started moving to freeweights instead of the machines - wow they feel so much heavier! and I just started taking Magnesium as well, so hopefully will see something happening soon! :)

I also switched to dark chocolate and I really do recommend anyone struggling should make the swap - if you like dark chocolate of course. I obviously prefer milk chocolate but the dark is better, has a lower GI, and where I had to eat looooads of milk chocolate to satisfy cravings, a couple of squares of the dark is more than enough, and I won't need any chocolate again for hours. I also realised just how much the milk chocolate was affecting my sinus problems the other night. I'd not had milk chocolate for over a week, and the other night I had one bar of a kinder bueno (my fiance had the other bar) and a couple of minutes later the intense throbbing behind my nose returned. So no more for me! :( heh

Anyway I hope you're all doing great! xx
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I also switched to dark chocolate and I really do recommend anyone struggling should make the swap - if you like dark chocolate of course.

My favorite is Lindt 85% Dark Chocolate with a hint of sea salt!! It is so rich and delicious and one square only has 48 calories and 6 g of carbs! It's perfect for satisfying my late night chocolate craving!!
  • RTL1234
    Options
    Louise - Good for you for going for low GI. I'm trying to watch my carbs but I'm not going too deep. I probably should. MFP puts my carb goal at 169, but I've been trying to keep it at 125 or less. That may not even be good enough, I'm not really sure!! I know I love carbs though!

I have tracked the last 3 days in a row, and I'm glad! lol I'm not really one for chocolate squares. I had chocolate ice cream last night as a treat since I did good. LOL! It was yummy!
  • sharimedina
    Options
    Hi everyone! And welcome to the newer girls!

Trying to remember what everyone is talking about. I love chocolate, but I am addicted to food, really sweets are my issue. Since I am diabetic I really have to stay away. For me it is really all or nothing. It took me the last 3 weeks to truly crash the cravings. I am the type of person that if I eat just one square I will eat them all. I love the dark chocolate lindt with sea salt too! I can't keep sweets in the house and I get anxiety when I go where there are sweets. Saturday was my sister in law's luau in Mexico for an engagement party of sorts and I was in charge of the chocolate fountain and treats to dip in. I was able to manage eating just 2 strawberries, but 5 donut holes, dipped lightly. Man. It sucked because then all day I was just obsessed with it. Seriously. I kept going back for one more and one more and finally just had to get really pissed at myself for caving and not having the will power. Where most would say it is okay every now and then...for me it just can't be that way. I am not beating myself up over it though. I am proud that I counted the calories and logged the bad foods, even to be accountable. And the next day right back on track. I think the groups and friendships have helped immensely.

You guys also talked about carbs. I have done low carbs before, but as soon as I add carbs the weight comes back plus more. I also just talked to a nutritionist and my situation is kind of hard because of the IR and diabetes. She said that I need the carbs for fuel, but always eat a carb with a protein. Mine is like 150 carbs and 90 protein and 1500 calories? I think. mfp's percentages are a bit different. So far it is working, but I am sure it is because I have so much weight to lose. I am sure down the line I will have to adjust things to keep losing.

I also find myself struggling being home and not busy. Catch 22 right. I don't think I have mentioned that I worked in a grocery store for 26 years, but quit a year ago to follow my dream of teaching. My schooling is almost done and I took a job as an inclusion aide last year to get my foot in the door in a district. Now I have the summer off with the kids, which is amazing. I do my student teaching in the fall and I will be busier than ever...but now I struggle with boredom and the old habits of eating myself through the day.

Does anyone else have this love hate relationship with the little ticker after you enter your foods that says, "if every day were like today you would weigh xx in 5 weeks" ?? Man that thing drives me nuts. For me it is getting close to saying 300 pounds and then it bounces up and down a pound or two. I can have a really great day and then that damn thing says 2 pounds more and it pisses me off. lol

Also, someone put light housework for exercise. How many of you guys count that? And if sex burns so many calories why doesn't mfp have sex listed in exercise? I was thinking I could put that under housework. HAHAHA. just saying.

Someone asked about a check in day. I am weighing in on Fridays if anyone wants to join me.

Have a great day ladies. Sorry I am so long winded. For me I think it helps to talk about it.
  • RTL1234
    Options
    Sharin - That thing drives me insane too!! Its annoying! LOL! If everyday was like "today" I'd be 100lbs by now LOL!

I've been so lax about taking my Metformin, that I started back on it on Friday...umm TMI I know but O-M-G Met gut!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sharimedina
    Options
    Hey, I did it. I updated my ticker so you guys could see the family. ;)
  • RTL1234
    Options
    Awww what a sweet family!

I went over on calories yesterday. Ugh, I really should have been more careful. I got up at 6:30 this morning and snuck downstairs to get on the treadmill for 30 minutes before getting ready for work. I know this is stupid, but I hate how MFP says "3.0 mod pace, walking dog" Who's freaking dog walks at 3.0?! Not mine, she is more like 2 lol.
  • RTL1234
    Options
    Oh and BTW, I decided to get on the scale early before tomorrow just to see if some of the water weight or AF time weight came off. It did but it still said I gained 2.5lbs. Maybe the bad eating that week really did screw me. I'll do the official in the morning.
  • sharimedina
    Options
    Oh, I totally get you on AF. Man, mine is about a week away and I am already gaining weight. I can gain up to 8 pounds of water weight. And although I know it is water weight...and will come off...it seems like we lose a good solid week of losing and hard work for nothing. Sigh. Lose 7, gain 7 take two weeks to lose it back...then start over. Sigh. I knew I would get discouraged at this point, so I can't let it bring me down. Stay off the scale you say? Yeah, right...lol

Good job on getting up early for the treadmill. That takes commitment. You are motivating me to do the stationary bike tonight, burns more calories than walking. Now, hold myself to it!!
  • misschristineelizabeth
    Options
    Hello! My name is Christine and I would like to join this group if it's not too late. I was diagnosed in 2005, took Metformin for a few years then stopped, and now I'm giving it another go. In the past few years, my weight has ranged from a low of 208 to a high of 270. I'm currently at my highest! I'd ultimately like to lose at least 100 pounds, but I think I'll focus on the first 50 to start!
  • sharimedina
    Options
    Hi Christine! Welcome. It isn't too late, nice to meet you! Good luck. What are you doing as far as diet and exercise plan?
  • sharimedina
    Options
    Hi ladies. It is my weigh in day so I thought I would check in here. I lost 1.8 pounds this week. Frustrating because it was more earlier in the week, but it is almost time for my cycle and I am gaining water weight. I know the water weight is temporary and a loss is a loss....but it still irritates me that we work so hard to lose the weight and the cycle kind of puts everything on hold. I am still motivated today and will need to get some sugar free chocolate pudding...lol I swear the chocolate cravings are real!!

I just have to keep reminding myself that this is for my health and not just the weight loss. My sugars are in great control and I am exercising still 5 days a week. That is what is most important.

How are you all doing?? Check in!!