Recovery drink (non dairy)?

eatmindfully
eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
Any recommendations for a non dairy recovery drink? Do you take protein post recovery? Thanks!

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Are you ok with yogurt? I know its dairy but i know lactose is not an issue there, so maybe? I do protein powder, frozen fruit, yogurt, maybe some water and sometimes even some spinach in a smoothie. you can take the yogurt out, it just wouldn't have as much body to it, but you could fix that with some frozen bananas.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    I make my own, half a frozen banana, 1 cup chocolate almond milk, 2 TBSP peanut butter, ice and blend. Tastes like a chocolate shake. 4:1 carbs to protein ratio.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    I make my own, half a frozen banana, 1 cup chocolate almond milk, 2 TBSP peanut butter, ice and blend. Tastes like a chocolate shake. 4:1 carbs to protein ratio.

I am a big fan of this smoothie, too!!! I've also put chocolate whey protein in.

I just discovered frozen mangos (my husband is Latino, so we eat them all the time when we visit Panama, but they are so expensive here. But frozen is affordable and they make great smoothie flavors!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    I have two recovery drinks I alternate between -
    1 - Vega Sport Recovery Accelerator
    2- Cherry Berry Recovery Smoothie: blend 1/3 c coconut water, 1/3 c tart cherry juice, 6-8 frozen strawberries, 1/3 c frozen blueberries, handful of de-stemmed kale, 1 tbsp. chia seeds, 1 tbsp. hemp hearts, 1 banana
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Post run I'll do protein powder with water then eat something like a banana or I'll just blend a frozen banana with the protein powder and water. I stopped adding PB and almond milk ever since my RD told me fat actually slows down nutrient absorption. Definitely don't want that.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Try a kale smoothie. here's my recipe: 2 cups coconut milk, 2 cups almond milk, 5 oz organic kale, about 2 cups mixed frozen fruit, 1 scoop protein powder (SunWarrior Vegan Chocolate warrior blend is what i use), 1/2-1 tbs. organic coconut oil, 1/2 tbs-1 tbs. chia, 1/2-1 tbs. flaxseed, 1/2 tbs. quinoa, add ice if needed (usually I don't). Sprinkle cinnamon on top (makes it a little zestier). Sometimes I add Greek yogurt to this, sometimes, just depends on where I am on protein consumption for the day.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Hit me up with a friend request, I'm always posting non-dairy/plant based smoothies--specifically for post-long runs (or rides).

Here are two of my favorites lately:

Stu's Dreamy Mocha Protein Smoothie
    1.5 cup almond milk
    4oz Cool Brew Iced Coffee Original (concentrate found at my grocery in the dairy section)
    2 ripe bananas
    1 frozen banana
    1 tsp of cinnamon
    2 tbs of PB2 peanut butter powder
    1 scoop of PlantFusion Cookies N/ Crème
    6 ice cubes

Long Miles Recovery Smoothie
    4 ripe bananas
    1.5 cup fresh cut pineapple (organic chunks)
    1 cup So Delicious – Almond milk +5gm Protein Unsweetened
    1 cup Silk - Almond Milk, Unsweetened Vanilla
    1 tsp – cinnamon
    1 scoop PlantFusion protein, Vanilla Bean
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Is it bad if my first thought was "beer"?:embarassed:

Followed briefly by "margarita" and "sangria" :drinker:
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Muscle Milk has some "ingredients derived from dairy and soy" but no actual milk.
  • tkillion810
    Antistu - how do you like the Plantfusion product? Does it mix well? How is the taste?
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Funny. My first thought was beer, too. The thought of a nice, cold beer has gotten me through many miles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I use the soy based Science in Sport Rego.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    After a long run, I come back and drink coffee and water and chocolate milk (skippable if you're not a dairy person) and then I drink G2 gatorade all day to stave off post-long-run headaches. I also chow down on eggs and a banana. Hasn't let me down so far!
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Thanks for all the great tips :) I like the beer suggestions lol. I guess I was particularly interested in the idea that protein should be used to aid muscle ecovery post very strenuous workouts I think there is a future in creating a recovery beer with some hemp protein.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Antistu - how do you like the Plantfusion product? Does it mix well? How is the taste?

It mixes very well. A slew of others I follow have made the switch to PlantFusion and we are always comparing notes on favorite flavors. The unflavored works well, but I prefer these (in order of fav): chocolate, cookies-n-cream, vanilla bean. The later are a bit too sweet for me, but depending on what you mix it with it balances out. I only use it in my smoothies (usually as a post-training shake).
  • tkillion810

It mixes very well. A slew of others I follow have made the switch to PlantFusion and we are always comparing notes on favorite flavors. The unflavored works well, but I prefer these (in order of fav): chocolate, cookies-n-cream, vanilla bean. The later are a bit too sweet for me, but depending on what you mix it with it balances out. I only use it in my smoothies (usually as a post-training shake).

I just ordered some sample packs to try. I ordered the vanilla bean, chocolate raspberry, and cookies and cream. Can't wait to try them out. I would love to get more flavors like peanut butter, marshmellow, peanut butter cup, etc....
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Try a kale smoothie. here's my recipe: 2 cups coconut milk, 2 cups almond milk, 5 oz organic kale, about 2 cups mixed frozen fruit, 1 scoop protein powder (SunWarrior Vegan Chocolate warrior blend is what i use), 1/2-1 tbs. organic coconut oil, 1/2 tbs-1 tbs. chia, 1/2-1 tbs. flaxseed, 1/2 tbs. quinoa, add ice if needed (usually I don't). Sprinkle cinnamon on top (makes it a little zestier). Sometimes I add Greek yogurt to this, sometimes, just depends on where I am on protein consumption for the day.

so do you make this ahead of time? I'm trying to envision getting home after a long run and then by the time I make this, I've missed my "optimal time for consuming nutrient dense food to aid recovery". this article says within 15 minutes, but I think it's within an hour or so. http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/post-run-recovery-starts-protein

I don't really track protein, but I do want and easy/healthy/unprocessed drink to aid recovery. Some of my runs are killers.
  • tkillion810

so do you make this ahead of time? I'm trying to envision getting home after a long run and then by the time I make this, I've missed my "optimal time for consuming nutrient dense food to aid recovery". this article says within 15 minutes, but I think it's within an hour or so. http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/post-run-recovery-starts-protein

I don't really track protein, but I do want and easy/healthy/unprocessed drink to aid recovery. Some of my runs are killers.

I'm working with a RHN and she recommends refueling within 30 minutes of a tough workout. I've also seen some article siting 60 minutes.