You Century Riders..

Options
KaktusJaque
KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
What do you do for water when on a non sanctioned century ride? Do you just use two water bottles? I can’t see that working for me here in Arizona as I can use up one water bottle on a 30 mile ride. I may have to have a camelback to do a larger ride.

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,205 Member
    Options
    I'm not used to the heat here in the Flathead Valley. When it's really hot and I'm needing to carry more water, I can carry two bottles on my bike and two in my jersey. If I need more, I'll drop the two in my jersey and go with a Camelback. It's a bit harder to clean since I can't just run it through the dishwasher like the bottles so I keep electrolytes in the bottles and just water in the Camelback.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    2x750ml water bottles on the bike and a couple of foil wrapped "nuun" (or similar) tablets in the rule #29 breaking European Posterior Man Satchel just in case I have to dive into a shop/petrol station and buy an extra litre of water. Of course, in good old sunny Yorkshire, it's seldom that bad, but if all else fails, well - frankly, I call in a pub and buy a pint and sit in the beer garden and enjoy it, then get the barmaid to fill one of my bidon's for the rest of the ride.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    2 x 750 ml bottles, one with water, one with electrolyte (Zero High5's is my 'weapon of choice').

I don't like stopping, but if I have to I will...
  • indeterminate
    indeterminate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This type of supposedly aero bottle holder was developed for Tri riders to keep the bottles in the riders wake (it attaches to the saddle rails). They dont look great and can be a bit rattley, but if used in conjunction with your two frame holders, that should give you plenty to drink. I can imagine that if I was riding around Arizona, I would need a trailer with a couple of gallons on it.

prod46011_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=500

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/profile-design-aqua-water-bottle-system-standard/rp-prod46011?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gclid=CjgKEAjwuMmdBRDljdfi2_qQpxkSJADDCRwsz5U9gD1uUZ_3H5un6-XVj8TKH5h9E4AjtT_i1Vc7ifD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Zéfal make an oversized bottle called "Magnum". Supposedly 1 litre capacity but seems more like 900ml to me.
    It would only fit in one of my bottle holders though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    This type of supposedly aero bottle holder was developed for Tri riders to keep the bottles in the riders wake (it attaches to the saddle rails). They dont look great and can be a bit rattley, but if used in conjunction with your two frame holders, that should give you plenty to drink. I can imagine that if I was riding around Arizona, I would need a trailer with a couple of gallons on it.

prod46011_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=500

I was thinking the same thing, but if the OP goes through a bottle every 30 mins, it's going to be unrealistic to carry enough bottles for a century ride.

Either
    - learn/train to not need so much water (which will only help the problem, not solve it).
    - make friends with a big camelbak
    - accept that you're going to have to stop a few times to refil.
  • KaktusJaque
    Options
    not minutes, but miles.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    not minutes, but miles.

Ah, totally misread that. In that case, a holder like above may well be a viable option for you.
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    First if you are only drinking on bottle every thirty miles you are not drinking enough. One bottle an hour with moderate temps. When it gets hot you need more. What I do is plan my routes to include places I can buy water as needed or stops where there is a public source such as a developed campground or park. Some rides I set cache of water in gallon jugs in places that make sense.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    First if you are only drinking on bottle every thirty miles you are not drinking enough. One bottle an hour with moderate temps. When it gets hot you need more. What I do is plan my routes to include places I can buy water as needed or stops where there is a public source such as a developed campground or park. Some rides I set cache of water in gallon jugs in places that make sense.

This. I don't think I would do an unsupported century without knowing there are guaranteed sources of clean water. I'm not sure it would be possible to carry enough water for 100 miles in the Arizona heat. Platypus makes reservoirs that hold 2 and 3 liters but you pretty much have to have a frame pack to carry that much.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    2504741275_e2d9874a0d.jpg
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you have the handle bars but when I road a century ride back in earlier June all these folks had this huge square bottle stuck between those handle bars that stick out straight in the front with big rubber straws. It looked very weird but they sure had a lot of water. I wish I had a picture. I've also seen double water bottle holders on the frame plus double water bottle holders under the seat. And unless you are riding where there is no where to stop to fill up, many places will let you fill a bottle with water for free. And I saw a lot of people who had saddle bags that they stashed their extra water in. Its weight at first but as you ride, that weigh it going to be gone.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Plan your routes where you can obtain water (either purchased at a store or somewhere you can refill your bottles). It gets hot as the sun here in the swamps of south Louisiana. I've been known to kill as many as 8 to 10 bottles on long rides. At most I'll have 3 bottles (2 on the bike and one in the jersey pocket). But typically just 2 bottles and I make it a point to stop at my favorite places along the way (usually bodega's that carry fruit!)
  • pmr545
    pmr545 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    In GA, 2 bottles will only get a person through about 50 miles. You could put a couple bottles in your back shirt pockets and disposing of the bottles when empty. That will give you 4. I would just plan a stop.
  • samaral7
    samaral7 Posts: 5
    Options
    I always plan a stop when riding long distances. I carry two bottles and if it's really hot then I need to stop around mile 30 to refill.
  • KaktusJaque
    Options
    2504741275_e2d9874a0d.jpg

Ha Ha thank you for this Archon, i might have to forgo the beer cans tho.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Plan your routes where you can obtain water (either purchased at a store or somewhere you can refill your bottles). It gets hot as the sun here in the swamps of south Louisiana. I've been known to kill as many as 8 to 10 bottles on long rides. At most I'll have 3 bottles (2 on the bike and one in the jersey pocket). But typically just 2 bottles and I make it a point to stop at my favorite places along the way (usually bodega's that carry fruit!)

^^^ This. I don't like using a camelbak on my road bike so I generally try to plan my ride so I pass some gas stations or convenience stores. It's nice to have some places for potty breaks if needed too. :)
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    By the way, who bothers to bring a heavy lock and lock up the bike when making such convenience stops for water and such?

My road bike is old, so I usually don't bother, but the thought has crossed my mind someone might steal it anyway by just tossing it in the back of a pickup truck. What a pain to be stranded then.
  • KaktusJaque
    Options
    It’s funny to me how simple the solution can be, but eluded me. I have always had the mindset to ride and not stop, like I'm in some race or something. So stopping at a convenience store never occurred to me. I would be concerned about someone making off with the bike as Archon stated, I would have to keep a close eye on it.
  • indeterminate
    indeterminate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've also ridden on with increasing dehydration because I dont have the confidence to leave my bike outside a shop on a busy road. Earlier this year I road the last 30 of an 85m jaunt with no fluids at all , just because all the shops I passed were facing straight onto the road. I favour forecourts generally, as they are glass fronted and allow me to keep an eye on my steed, plus they have security which would hopefully deter most opportunists.