How many calories when baby start solids

Options
Kristin41080
Kristin41080 Posts: 9 Member
Hello there!
My little one turned 7 months about a week ago. We started solids when she turned 6 months but I am still nursing her 8 times in a 24 hour period. I have been subtracting 500 calories (or rather eating 500 extra) because of nursing but I was wondering when I should subtract less and how much I should subtract. I know when I did Weight Watchers they said once the baby started solids to cut those extra points (calories) in half.

My weight loss has slowed a little but I was thinking it was more to because I have been less diligent.

Thoughts?

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    One baby is getting solids as meals and not play I cut cals to 300 - depends on the baby, my daughter generally only played til she was about 12 months, while my son is eating a solid meal a day. I am still subtracting 500 and losing consistently but I think once he starts eating more meals I will cut it down to 300.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I cut it down to 300, although I personally think he's still nursing 400 calories worth. I added 300 to 1500, not like I was adding 300 to 1200 or something, so there is some wiggle room. I tried adding 300 to 1200 and I was hungry all the time. At 1800, I'm not hungry, and I'm losing.

My son is 15 months and still nurses a lot.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i think its more trial and error. i didnt start here till my son was only nursing 2 or 3 times a day (he is 2.5 now) so i have no idea. but your body is the only accurate calorie counter. ;) if the loss slows or stops, then its too much.
  • ancl123
    ancl123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wonder myself. Can you cut 7 points from weight watchers drastically or should I do so gradually? I have a 9 month old and am nursing 3-5 times a day. She eats 3 meals a day too. She is on the small side so I don't want to decrease her milk supply even more. I eat 40 points per day or I believe around 2000 calories and am not loosing. I have 15 more pounds to go.
    Frustrated
  • ancl123
    ancl123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What did you decide to do and how is it working? Ideas?
  • Kristin41080
    Kristin41080 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I cut it down to 300 calories AND was more diligent with logging my food on here. At first I lost but this week I gained .5lb. I was pretty disappointed by this gain too because I just got a Fitbit and have been SUPER active. In fact the data from the Fitbit told me I was burning way more calories then I thought. I have my MFP calorie goal set to sedentary because I work at a desk job 3 days a week. Well, I guess the other 4 days I am home with the kiddos I am more active and the data Fitbit collects from my daily movement actually added calories to my daily goal. I was not eating these so perhaps I need to eat more. Before the Fitbit when I was just using MFP calorie goal I would have several days were I was over my calorie goal and I guess my more active days just took care of this.

As of right now though my supply has stayed the same. Weight loss has just slowed. Going to actually try and eat more this week and see what happens!
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I would knock off 100 calories for every meal baby has everyday. My daughter is nine months and we introduced food regularly at 28 weeks. We have built up to three meals a day plus snacks, but she still likes to nurse when tired, on waking and at night (around 6 to 8 times per 24hrs still). I was adding 500 calories a day until 28 weeks, but now only add 200 calories a day as she's enjoying all three meals.