remicade

Options
If you haven't talked about this treatment with your doctor you should. It works. I've tried every medicine, diet and even lost 100 pounds. Nothing worked for me. This remicade treatment is helping.
After 7 yrs of failed treatment plans this has given me some relief. It has not cured it but has helped. I'll take some progress compared to what I've been dealing with for what seems like an eternity.

Replies

• laylawaffles
    Options
    I've never heard of this, I'll check it out with my doc on my next visit. Does it come with any odd side effects?
  • sadwizard
    sadwizard Posts: 11
    Options
    I am discussing remicade (infliximab) with my doctor. It is so super expensive though. I tried everything as well. I'm on Accutane at the moment which does not help at all.
  • Second3
    Second3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was on remicade for 4 1/2 years for crohn's disease. As soon as I started it, my HS went into remission. It stopped working for my crohn's a few months ago and just yesterday my HS is back. Turns out my body is developing antibodies to the remicade and I was starting to have an allergic reaction during infusions. I'm currently switching to humira, a similar medication, and I'm hoping it will also work for my crohn's and HS.

It's definitely worth talking to your doctor about. It does have serious risks and side effects so do your research and ask lots of questions. It's meant to treat autoimmune diseases so it intentionally compromises your immune system. You catch EVERY cold and flu going around. I was grateful that my crohn's was reasonably under control but I still spent a lot of time out sick. I was frequently on antibiotics. If food is the slightest bit off, you will get food poisoning, even if everyone else who eats it is fine. It increases your risk of cancer and I went through a lymphoma scare last year. I was ultimately fine but it was a scary time.

It's given by IV infusion which can be hard for some people to handle. The timing and dosage vary (I went every five weeks) and you need frequent blood work. I know there have been clinical trials but I don't know if doctors everywhere are allowed to prescribe remicade or humira for HS.

The biggest problem though is like Sadwizard said, it is extremely expensive. My remicade was $100,000 CDN every year. I was on the highest dose though so it could be more or less depending on dose and weight. I was able to get mine covered by my provincial health plan but not all Canadians can and I'm sure it's significantly more challenging for Americans.