What exercise are you doing while pregnant?

Options
mariethai
mariethai Posts: 85 Member
Pre-pregnant I was fanatic about Bikram yoga, now given its controversy with heat and pregnancy I'm taking a break till Christmas! (due just after :) ) and I'm interested to hear what everyone else is doing!

My current regime is basically dog walking - my poor dog has never been walked so much...

I did find a low impact aerobic pregnant class on youtube too and am looking for a good pregnancy yoga dvd...

Replies

• futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    Not sure if you have Comcast...but they have some really nice prenatal yoga classes on OnDemand.

I also ordered Tracey Anderson's "The Pregnancy Project" it is okay...Some people LOVE it though. It is a little too intense for my hips/knees because it involves about 40 minutes of kneeling. The good thing about her workout is that there is a separate DVD for each month, which is meant to cater to your specific needs through each stage of you pregnancy.
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am 12 weeks and I do Zumba several times per week and kettlebell/bodyweight training 3 times/week. Will find out what modifications I need to do @ my OB appointment this week.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think my dog feels the same way :)

I'm 20 weeks and have continued my lifting routine that I was doing pre-pregnancy and I also do a lot of incline walking. In addition to that I started taking a pre-natal yoga class once a week. I also purchased Summer Sanders DVD and I've only used it once, but when my lifting routing is over - I'll probably start doing that more.

I don't have any reco's for yoga DVD's but have found an awesome website (doyogawithme.com) that has all types of free yoga classes!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Same here, walking and I've purchased the tracy anderson yoga dvd but haven't started it. I kind of want to weight lift (lightly) but have no motivation to actually go to the gym to do it right now.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not pregnant any more (baby born May 1st) but during pregnancy I did aerobics, step, Zumba, spinning and gym sessions. I stopped spinning around 25 weeks as it was uncomfortable and I did step til about 32 weeks. Zumba and aerobics were fine until 38 weeks. I still gained weight though :(
  • joianett
    joianett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Pre-pregnant I was fanatic about Bikram yoga, now given its controversy with heat and pregnancy I'm taking a break till Christmas! (due just after :) ) and I'm interested to hear what everyone else is doing!

My current regime is basically dog walking - my poor dog has never been walked so much...

I did find a low impact aerobic pregnant class on youtube too and am looking for a good pregnancy yoga dvd...

I'm 35-36 weeks and up to 33 weeks, I alternated between jogging/walking 4~5 miles and Sara Haley DVD's, which I loved. But at 33 weeks I was told NO MORE WORKING OUT, due to lack of weight gain and baby measuring small. Since I quit working out, baby gained .8 LBS in one week!!! So that was good. I think it was because I had an issue eating back my calories.

As long as you feel good AND doc is cool with your routine, you can do lots of different routines, which is way different then when our mom's were prego :)
  • K_Parkman
    K_Parkman Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi,

I try to get at least an hour in every day. I alternate between walking my dog at a brisk pace and doing some prenatal exercise videos on youtube. I love all of the options. It makes everything much more fun.
  • K_Parkman
    K_Parkman Posts: 12
    Options

I'm 35-36 weeks and up to 33 weeks, I alternated between jogging/walking 4~5 miles and Sara Haley DVD's, which I loved. But at 33 weeks I was told NO MORE WORKING OUT, due to lack of weight gain and baby measuring small. Since I quit working out, baby gained .8 LBS in one week!!! So that was good. I think it was because I had an issue eating back my calories.

As long as you feel good AND doc is cool with your routine, you can do lots of different routines, which is way different then when our mom's were prego :)

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking how much weight have you gained so far?
  • mariethai
    mariethai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions :) Been thinking about Zumba as I love the buzz from exercise - I'm hooked on endorphins... !! Will check out a class this week - though the reason I love yoga so much is that it requires no rhythm - something I can at times struggle with.

Week 14 and gained approximately a kg - though feels like 5 at night... Trying not to be too uptight about calories but to relax and enjoy the pregnancy
  • joianett
    joianett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    @k_Parkman - At 33 weeks, I had gained 9 lbs total. And I do not mind you asking.
  • lijepa1979
    lijepa1979 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba early on, and I also have done a lot of hiking and walking. I also use the exercise bike and do Just Dance for the Wii. I found a great prenatal Belly Dance video as well, which is great because I always feel so open after I am done. I am almost 32 weeks and still work out about 45 minutes a day
  • Erindolly
    Erindolly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Before 18 weeks, I was going to the gym about four times a week and jogging/strength training, taking spin classes, zumba classes, and body pump classes. I had to switch over to less intense workouts mostly because I would get too hungry in the middle of class and feel awful if I didn't stop to snack. I just couldn't eat enough of a breakfast before class to make it all the way through without feeling awful. Since about 18 weeks I've been walking about 3-4 hours or so a week, and doing light strength training twice a week for about 20 minutes at a time (mostly dumbbells and squats). I am at 28 weeks now and just started to incorporate a Rodney Yee prenatal yoga video into my routine. I am going to try to do 20 minutes of yoga at least two or three times a week in addition to my walking and strength training. I also recently started to incorporate swimming laps instead of walking when it is too hot.
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Only 7 weeks so my Doctor told me since I have been very active the last 4 yrs and my first that I could do low impact cardio still and some light weights until I'm told otherwise or start to feel uncomforable
  • lpettrey315
    Options
    I was a runner before I got pregnant so I am continuing to do that, but at much slower pace than normal. My stamina level has definitely changed since I have become pregnant and I find it much harder to get up in the morning before work, but I still make myself do it! I also cut back on my mileage and only run 3 miles or so before I feel like I start to push too much. I run 3 days a week and then 2 days a week I do light weight exercises and walk 3- 4 miles. I also want to try prenatal yoga DVDs, so if anyone has one that they love, let me know!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am only 6 weeks, and am running, biking, and doing 30 day shred 1-2 times a week. My lower body is so strong, but my upper body is weak so Jillian is hookin me up! :) I am eating a LOT of protein and drinking almost a gallon of water a day. My workouts arent as good as pre pregnancy, like the other day I had to stop running at 20 minutes in because my body was just too tired. I ran last night 3.5 miles just fine but lap pace was a minute slower. Oh well! I am going to keep pushing through it and hope 2nd trimester is easier!
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    17 weeks in and using my cross trainer and getting in as much walking as I can. I'm also going to look into what prenatal yoga options are out there as my back is giving me trouble already and I'm keen to do something to both strengthen and help me loosen up.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My baby is here already (7 months old tomorrow) but I figured I'd chime in too. I walked/jogged for most of it. I rode my bike--outdoor & spin--for most of it. I did yoga and strength training. Basically, I did most of what I did before, but adjusted the frequency and intensity as needed.

One suggestion: work that upper body and back, as babies get heavy! Especially if you're using a car seat that detaches from the car. We have a keyfit 30 and I swear that thing weighs 20 lbs, plus a 20 lb baby...so basically I'm hauling 40 lbs around with one arm. Super-fun when I go to my brothers 100 year old flat in the city (read: narrow, steep, stairs) and she's asleep so I just carry the whole thing with her in it! Figure even when they're a tiny newborn, it still weighs nearly 30 lbs with baby in it.... Just food for thought!
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Lisapr123 - did you do any specific types of yoga, workout dvd's etc? Looking for inspiration and good ideas!
  • lisapr123
    Options
    Lisapr123 - did you do any specific types of yoga, workout dvd's etc? Looking for inspiration and good ideas!

I subscribe to The Fit Box (it's basically an internet TV channel) on my Roku so I did whatever workouts they posted each week. Personally, pregnancy DVD's weren't for me. I really didn't enjoy them.
  • lisapr123
    Options

I subscribe to The Fit Box (it's basically an internet TV channel) on my Roku so I did whatever workouts they posted each week. Personally, pregnancy DVD's weren't for me. I really didn't enjoy them.

Sorry...a friend showed up as I was typing. I would say 75% of my workouts were self-led. I have an old deck of cards that has different weight moves on it, so I'd just pull a few of those at night and do whatever it told me to do. The yoga stuff was whatever the workouts were that week online. And really, the rest was walking, cycling, etc... stuff I do all the time anyway. For me, working out had nothing to do with weight. It was about keeping my energy levels up so I could function and keeping my body strong for delivery and recovery and the months that follow.