Was really hoping ...

Options
djcangel
djcangel Posts: 800 Member
that this group would be more active. I need to log in often with others to get feed back and support, and I like to respond in kind. Is anyone interested in being more active on this group site? Hoping....:flowerforyou: dj.

Replies

• peanutbutterfluff
    peanutbutterfluff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well, I am interested in a more active group myself...Maybe we can pick up a few others and get something started?
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Count me in, but I don't know how to get it rolling
  • peanutbutterfluff
    Options
    Well, I will start by telling you both a little bit about myself. I will be 60 in December and would so like to have lost a decent amount of weight before then. I lost 48 pounds a few years ago on MFP and then gained 58 back. :sad: I tried to start again in January of this year but lasted about a day. In early June, when I realized that sweats rolled up to my knees were still not comfortable in hot weather, I decided it was time to start again. Oh, and the mega high blood pressure and the fear of a stroke or heart attack also provided an incentive.

I can't get this exercise thing going. It's soooooo hot outside and I live in the sticks so there isn't a nice cool mall to go walking in.

Make me exercise and help me quit my excessive late night snacking. Surely, there is a magic formula for that. LOL.

Have a great Sunday! Liz
  • tskvaughn
    Options
    I always thought I had a weight issue, but looking back now I realize I was normal. My problems really started in my 40s . I yo o dieted each time the gain was more. I lost 60 lbs on Nutri System in 2008. My oldest daughter's final battle with melanoma and her passing in August 2011 led to 2 1/2 years of mindless eating for both me and my younger daughter. I on my 59th birthday I started taking stock of the sape I was in and the act tat my daughter at 27 was starting this weight thing at a very young age. Beginning Jan 5, with the end of college football (I am a big fan) I put on the brakes. I. Was finding my size 20 jeans hard to zip. I bought a fitbit and started MFP, but refused to ace the scale until mid February when my size 18 jeans were comfortable. When I weighed, I was horrified. I was more tan I had ever weighed, and tat was after 6 weeks of MFP and walking and losing almost 2 sizes. Since then I have lost 21 lbs, however, it has been 3 weeks since I weighed. As I approach 60, I am finding losing to be slow go. I don't weigh until I an see a change in clothing size. This weekend I actually wore a size14 P jeans and removed the lastif the W sizes from my closet.
    I have serious back issues, fibromyalgia and kneed trouble. I have gone from in January being a couch potato who found it hard to get 3500 steps, to consistently hitting 15-20k until it got too hot in the deep south to do much outside walking. My daughter and I ave started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and are on day 4 of Level 2. I have amazrped myself at my improving my attempts to do the moves. I do have to modify the impact moves, butiam doing it.
    I found he thought of going back to packaged foods from NS bringing on my gag reflex. I love to cook and find wats to make healthy nutritious meals. My daughter and I are a team in this. She is about 40 lbs overweight and recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetics Which is really scary.
    I ride a recumbent bike an hour a day T least 3-4 days a week. Perfect for my back and knee issues.
  • peanutbutterfluff
    Options
    Oh Tsk...my deepest condolences to you on the loss of your daughter. I can only imagine the pain you endured (and are enduring) and understand your turn to food for comfort. It is amazing to me how you are turning your health around. I truly admire your dedication and hard work, as well as that of your daughter's.

I have almost always had a weight problem. Mine began when I started school, after almost a year of separation from my mother and brothers. At the age of five, I was put into an environment with one loving grandparent and one pedophile. When I returned home, my eating became out of control. And stayed that way. When I was in my forties, I lost about 80 pounds, but I put it all back on (and more!) after my mother and brother passed away unexpectedly within a few months.

Other than sweats and t-shirts, I haven't purchased any new clothes in years, so I have quite a bit of poundage to get rid of before I can try on any of my older clothes.

Congrats on your 14P jeans! That's awesome!

I found my 30 Day Shred DVD today. I have a doctor's appointment next week, so I will ask my doctor if she thinks I can handle it. I have been so afraid that due to high blood pressure, a strenuous workout could be disastrous. But I am in the process of getting the blood pressure under control, so I think I will hang on to that DVD! I might have gotten as far as slipping it into the dvd player once...but that is as far as I have gotten so far.

Keep up the great work!! Despite the heat, I walked some this evening (not as much as I would like but a thunderstorm got in the way) and I credit your post for giving me the incentive to leash the dog and get outside!!

Peace, Liz
  • tskvaughn
    Options
    My goodness gracious, you would think I was drunk when I posted that! Wow at the typos. I was at my lake house and the internet was unbelievably slow and kept kicking me out. I swear I wasn't drinking!
    Today I am down 3.8 lbs in about 3 weeks. We are going on our annual Alaska fishing trip August 6 so I am trying to step it up a notch.
    I can't stand the hot weather here. My little Daisy is missing her walks, but she really can't handle the heat.
    Toni
  • peanutbutterfluff
    Options
    My goodness gracious, you would think I was drunk when I posted that!

Well, if you had been, I am sure you would have logged it!

I have realized that those who say it doesn't matter WHAT you eat as long as you stay within your calorie goal, are not like me. Two days of staying under but with the wrong kinds of foods and I feel so bleh. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Toni, I am like you. It is just way too hot to walk the dog. I think the dog has figured that out. He (and my other) get a romp at the park and/or creek everyday, but actual walking just isn't feasible. I hope this weather breaks but it will probably be October before that happens. I have got to find another exercise outlet. My house is not air conditioned, so inside exercising is not appealing. There I go making excuses...

Tomorrow will be better......
  • janet41283
    janet41283 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I was having big time computer issues that are now resolved. This group does seem kind of quiet. I am interested in being part of a group that actually keeps in touch! I am struggling with my weight just like everyone else. I think it is great to connect with people in "my age group" because perhaps we have some things in common! I lost about 50 pounds, gained back 20, and now I'm back on the program. I get frustrated, cranky, hungry, bored, etc. Don't get me wrong, I also have positive days! However, when I work so hard and just lose one pound a week, I get upset. Enough venting for today! I do wish you all a good Wednesday!
  • tskvaughn
    Options
    Actually 1 lb a week is a good way to loose. You might loose more to start, but a slow lose means less loose skin and at our age this is a problem. It is harder to loose post menopause. I have lost 24 lbs since the middle of February which is about 5 lbs a month, just over a lb a week. I try not to weigh more than once every 2 or 3 weeks. I try to faithfully log, although I do have some off days, but I am trying to never go back to the mindless eating I was doing before. My daughter is single and lives down the street so she eats with us a lot. She and my husband are both Type II diabetic and my husband has had open heart surgery so cooking healthy is a must.
    I had not weighed in 17 days and when I weighed on June 30 I was 3.3 down. That was a good feeling, much better than being frustrated with the ups and down you have when you are weighing daily.
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hey Liz, Sorry I am just getting around to answering this. I also live in the sticks and have no realistic place to go and exercise when the weather is too hot, wet and or cold. I am saving up for an elliptical so I can use it anytime, should be able to get it next month. Meanwhile it is the depression (again) that I am battling to pull myself out of and get going again. Then I forget that this site does not inform me when posts I am in get replies and so I am just remembering to check and see. I wanted to be a contender but then when I got a good start, I got sick, then I got depressed and now I have to start all over again, again. But as I was told by another member here, it is up to me ultimately to decide that I want to do this. Which I do. Then my husband comes home (he has no weight issues) from the store with, ice cream, donuts, tortilla, potato, and corn chips. Bacon, hash browns, hamburger meat, scalloped boxed potatoes, pork chops, cheesy baked boxed potatoes. Processed lunch meat, white bread, miracle whip, sausage, flour tortillas...You et the idea, and he does this whether or not I ask him to please buy healthy. And I have to prep, cook and serve all of the above...And stay on a healthy weight loss diet?!** I know, I know, poor me...not. It is just hard sometimes and I was hoping that maybe if I get back up and going again, maybe my new friends here could be inspired to not do as I do...and stick with it. Maybe it would backwash over me and I won't fall off the bandwagon again. Thanks for listening. I will be glad to listen anytime any of you have a rant and need to get it out. Have a good day, dj.
  • djcangel
    Options
    WOW, so proud of you TSKVaughan. It is great that your daughter is doing this with you. I too have a very bad back and have to be careful what exercising I do. But I think if everyone could get someone to partner up with that we could all do better. Me I am sick and tired of being a loner but have made no moves to change it, I want to at least be in my determined to do this attitude when I go out seeking company. Right now I am not in that place. At least I am typing again and that is a step forward from where I have been for the last few weeks. Hang in there, dj.
  • janet41283
    Options
    djcangel, i agree about the buddy system. most of my friends do not need to lose weight, so that is why I try to use this resource. My friends. although fairly understand, just really don't get it. Maybe a buddy system here would be good! I am trying very hard to learn to be around food that I can't have. It is everywhere. I can't hide. I met someone once who said they will never go to the movies because they can't have popcorn. I just can't understand that. To each, their own. I hope you have loads of better days ahead!
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hi Jan, I was really just venting, my last hurrah before I knuckle down and get back to what I should be doing. I so know that once I get back into routine that I will feel better, and be motivated to do more and stick with it. I personally need to start communicating more with the peeps on this site, you don't know how silly I felt, thinking for a long time that I was the only one who felt like this, or that my problems were unique...ha ha. So after a good kick in da butt by one of my other friends on this site, I realized that I was feeling sorry for myself and needed to get over it. I have a problem with depression, and getting mad is my get out of depression card. That is probably all messed up, getting mad motivated, but I don't stay mad, and I get moving. Thanks for your reply...REALLY, I appreciate the input. Have a good one, talk to you soon, dj
  • djcangel
    Options
    Well I am sitting here this morning looking forward to getting an elliptical hopefully by the 1st of August. It is just too hot down here in South Texas in the summer months for me to walk outside. I live in the sticks and have no affordable gym option to go to, even if I had the transportation to go. Meanwhile, I sit...I have to be careful what exercises I do as I have 3 herniated disc's, so here I sit. I am exercising my brain, trying to think of some sort of non-equipment exercise that I can do in the coolness of my living room, I am a walker, was up to 3 miles to 3 1/2 miles an hour, for an hour, 7 days a week. Then I got sick, real sick, and after getting out of the hospital and recouping at home, got depressed and quit caring for awhile, lost motivation, gained back the 10 pounds I'd lost since starting on this site. Anyway, here I sit, ready to get back into the game...the game of real life...and it is suffocatingly hot outside at 5:30 a.m., therefore, here I sit. Only I do not want to be sitting here, I want to be moving, motivated, mustering myself toward my goal of a forever healthier me, so it is driving me nuts (not that (it) has far to go to do that), being unable to come up with some kind of exercise to do until I get my elliptical. Any ideas would be appreciated. Guess I'll be sitting here for a bit longer.:frown:
  • janet41283
    Options
    Decided not to go to the beach today. Just not into it. I also need to get moving djcangel. I use free weights when I don't feel like doing much. I can sit and watch tv and use them. I also have some walking dvds that I use. They are ok! At least I feel like I'm getting the old bones moving. I have a treadmill, but it is sooooo boring. I watch tv while I use it but the clock doesn't move. I find it hard to walk outside in the heat. Seems like it is very quiet here! Hope you have some good plans for the weekend!
  • djcangel
    Options
    @Jangar....AHHHHHH. How can you not go to the beach?! Oh how I would love that...I could walk for miles and miles and miles...if I only had a beach to do it on. When I was born in Corpus Christi I was moved away still an infant...boo hoo. When I decided to move back, on my own, I was too busy working...too tired after work to go to the beach. After I was unable to work my job there, I moved some 150 miles north of the coast to be closer, but not too close to a larger city where at the time my family lived. Now they have long since moved further north, and my hubby and I bought our house here, and are both retired now, and I haven't been back to the coast in years, boo hoo again!!! Anyway, just my silly way of saying...'You live close to the Beach!' How wonderful that must be. Makes me smile for you!!! dj
  • janet41283
    Options
    The nearest beach is a little over an hour which is great. We go most weekends, and I just love it. It is like a mini vacation. Calm, quiet, and clean. This particular beach doesn't have all the boardwalk craziness of food, games, etc. It is just beach! I am lucky to live 15 minutes from Manhattan, 60 minutes from the beach, and their are mountains within 30 minutes, as well. It is crazy expensive around here, but we have some good perks! Looks like djcangel and I are having a private discussion! I don't mind!
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hey Jan, Maybe we will get others interested if we keep up the conversing. That is too cool, you living between one of the neater cities and the coast. Things are very expensive there, I know from my daughter living in New Jersey for years, and now lives in Vermont, when I went to visit from Texas I was shocked at what things cost. Hopefully your cash flow equals the cost of living. Other than that....too cool!!! Meanwhile I looked into what it is going to cost me to get an elliptical today, and I should be able to have it by the 1st of next month so I am excited. I just have to control my calorie intake and watch my diet until then because I can't lift weights, or jump, twist...etc. But I am back in the frame of mind I should be, and it is only 3 weeks give or take a few days till I can really get back into some serious exercise. You really must tell me all about the beach you walk, are there many shells? Is the water warm enough to swim in when it is summer? Is the sand white, brown, or some exotic color like black or red? Guess you can tell I Really love the coast. Well, guess we can continue our group of two, I am enjoying it a lot, just in case someone does take a peek....ALL ARE WELCOME, and ET phone home. Later girlfriend...:glasses: dj
  • peanutbutterfluff
    Options
    I don't know why I am bothering to post right now..it is late and I am exhausted and I can't lay in bed until noon tomorrow! But I just want to let you know I should be around starting tomorrow, at least for a few days before I head off to my first vacation in almost 10 years...to the beach! I have had company for several days now, and it has been several days of Mexican, Italian, Greek and good old American foods. I was so excited when I weighed myself this morning that I had not gained any weight...so excited that I allowed my eating to get way out of control at lunch and dinner. For the first time in a while, I am going to bed feeling absolutely miserable. But tomorrow is a new day.

I lucked out...I purchased a half-way decent elliptical last weekend at a yard sale for $30. Now I just have to get using it. Unfortunately, it is on my screened in back porch...out of the sun but still difficult to use when the weather is hot and humid as it has been lately. I hear a cool front is approaching, so maybe I can get some use out of it before I hit the road next Saturday.

So good to see a conversation going...I am hoping I can become a part of it. I need the social life ! :drinker: Liz
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hi LIZ, Welcome, I will be hoping that you get some benefit from the artic blast, it will not make it to south Texas so I will be putting the soon to be mine elliptical in my house, therefore no excuses not to use it and use it often. I hope that you are able to get some rest, and it is GREAT that you didn't add any pounds from all the yummy food that was around when you had company. I am excited, only 10 more days till I can order my elliptical, I am only getting a cheaper one, my sis-n-law has a $400.00+ elliptical that sits outside in the weather unused most of the time. The one I am getting is only a 4th of that, but I will be ecstatic when I get to bring it home. Of course the hard part will be the wait after I order it...5 to 10 days...but I hopefully will get it by the 1st of next month...Hubby and I sat outside looking at the big full moon last night, we have a scaffold with a couple of chairs on it, our deck, lol. Well have a great day, get rested up for that vaca to the coast, you lucky girl...looking forward to hearing all about it. Glad you checked in with us, talk to ya soon. dj