Beginner injury. :(

Options
amylahminute
amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
So... during my first Workout B, I did 5x5 Deadlifts instead of 1x5. D'oh! :(

I've been paying for it ever since with weird back twinges and weaker rows & squats. Whenever I try to stand up straight from bending forward, I get a shooting, sharp pain in my lower back. I've deloaded from 105 to 85 lbs for squats so far. My rows last week caused that shooting pain. No bueno.

Have you guys seen this before, and would you recommend a week or so off completely, or just some time off with lighter weights? I was thinking I could do goblet squats with a 35lb dumbbell and 20lb dumbbell rows/deadlifts. Seated OHP w/ dumbbells. Or maybe just yoga?

I can continue progressing on bench, because my low back is pretty protected on those.

Please share your thoughts, suggestions and experiences with this if you've got them. Thanks!!!

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Id take time off from weights.

Don't mess with backs.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would take a week off and see how you are feeling after that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes take at least one week off and try a lower weight and if that still "hurts" take another week off...etc.

I made the mistake of not taking enough time off and had to later...and a longer time.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Take a week off and, if you can swing it, get a massage.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I actually get those too when I do high volume of deadlifts. It might not sound very intuitive, but usually, in my case, that lower back twinge is mostly due to tight hamstrings/hips. If you have a foam roller, mash it down a bit and get some hip opening stretches in. If you know some yoga, a few sun salutations would probably loosen that up a good bit. Take it easy, try to walk it off, if you need to take a few days off fomr lifting.

I've also think switching to sumo deads can make a difference in this happening (it's a little less in the lwoer back, more in the hamstrings/glutes with a wider stance).
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Yes, I am super tight in my hammies and hips. Am I that obvious? :P
    I am going to take it really easy this week. I will still walk and stretch/yoga a lot. I foam rolled a bunch yesterday. Next week I'll start back up again with just the bar and maybe higher reps???

Another setback, though... my old rotator cuff tear pain has come back from back squatting too. Been reading up better shoulder blade form or even alternatative exercises here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137801413

Honestly, I don't want to modify; low weight is fine. What is bumming me out is that I feel like I can't be a "purist" about SL right now. I was so excited to do just those big compound lifts and watch myself progress. Guess I have to go back to building a better base. Call it beginner overenthusiasm. :/
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    For rotator cuffs, try doing the following exercises at the end of your sessions, they'll also help with your bench and OHP as well. I tore the tendon on the front of my shoulder last year, and overextended my rotator cuff at the same time, and it still hurts sometimes during squats and bench.

shoulderexercises-1.gif

AssetFactory.aspx?did=43282

hqdefault.jpg&width=440&height=275

The external and internal rotation can be done lying down with a dumbbell, standing with a dumbbell, or with resistance bands or a cable machine.

For the last picture, that's not exactly what I do, but it was the closest image I could find. I step on a resistance band, cross it in front of myself, pull from across my body up above me head at about a 30 degree angle.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Chiropractor and massage therapist asap. Don't let it get worse. I am having to basically start over from scratch because I ignored a back injury for almost a year. It sucks. Ice your spine near the pain and put a hot pad on the tense muscles, it should help.
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ditto on recommendations to rest your back - and also stretch! Your low back will benefit hugely from stretching your hammies -- also consider the deep stretches designed for targeting your piriformis.

If you are just getting started with SL - I think this is (kind of) normal. Overall 'people' have a weaker core and posterior chain -- getting in there and doing deadlifts just lights up all those under used muscles and ligaments. If your pain isn't acute and emergent, I'm betting much of what you're feeling is just the normal process of conditioning. I kind of went through the same thing myself.

Take it slow, stretch often and hopefully you'll be restored soon!