Do any of you do strength training?

Options
Hey guys! I try to do some sort of strength exercise like 5x a week + running a mile each of those days, with 1 day a week set to some HIIT and another day of just rest. Are any of you also doing strength? This is the first full month I've done it and I've definitely seen changes in my body and have maybe lost like half a pound however I have lost an inch around my waist! I haven't been tracking my legs/arms but I know they're way more in shape than they were before doing strength.

My question is really if any of you are into it and how much you're eating/when to see results? I haven't done any real heavy lifts (squats/deadlifts) because I'm currently at Planet Fitness since I'm moving to Texas for grad school next month and they're the only gym near me that does month-to-month.

I know that I'm supposed to be eating a ton along with my lifting but when I get to like 1200-1300 (I'm 5'4'' and my weight fluctuates between 130-135) I am completely stuffed and can not eat anything else. I am not super serious about tracking EVERYTHING that I eat (ex: cooking oils, vinegar, cheese, etc) but put a general idea of how many calories I'm eating on my log. I've upped my protein a lot since I've started and I think it's helping.

Any suggestions for a complete strength training noob? :smile:

Thanks!!

Replies

• changsofa
    changsofa Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm a total noob myself - - Just started 5x5 Stronglifts 2 weeks ago! I'd suggest posting your question to http://www.reddit.com/r/xxfitness/ since they have a much broader female audience than this forum. Good luck!!
  • MetalTes
    MetalTes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've lifted on & off, and just started up again also, but I don't think I know enough to be giving proper advice. I have learned a TON over at the Nerd Fitness forums though, you might want to check it out. You can join, and ask questions there, everyone is quite friendly and helpful. You can also just use the search and find out a lot of info that way, as plenty of people have asked plenty of questions already. I tend to like doing that, as sometimes I find answers to questions I wouldn't even have known to ask! Hope that helps, good luck and have fun! :)

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com
  • zavrrr
    zavrrr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to start doing stronglifts 5x5 next month (at the moment, my schedule is just too hectic to stick to something programmatic), so I'm sure I'll have lots of things to say at that point!

I'm planning to pony up for a PT session before I start to check form and help figure out what weight I should start at. I'm sort of famously bad at pushing myself to work hard, so I don't really trust my own instincts with where to start.

Previously, the only time I've done strength training consistently was way back in high school when I played softball and they would have us do weights (free and machines) for conditioning. One thing that always stuck in my mind was once when I was doing the leg press machine, and I had it on like 60 lbs or something, and the coach came over and said...um, you can push your body weight and it is definitely more than that, I think you know you can make it heavier... oops =)
  • katnisseverduh
    katnisseverduh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have learned a TON over at the Nerd Fitness forums though, you might want to check it out. You can join, and ask questions there, everyone is quite friendly and helpful.
    http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com

OMG NERD FITNESS! I second this! It's awesome. :)
  • jpdanh
    jpdanh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Push Pull Legs for over three months and eating at a deficit (my goal is to cut fat while maintaining/maybe building muscle). I started to really notice the results about 2 months in. Even though the scale was ever, ever, ever so slowly going down, I could see that the fat had thinned out and my muscles were popping!

I finally got a whoosh effect around the 3 moth mark and the scale told me I dropped some more poundage. I still have a ways to go for my own personal goals, though.

I must note that I had to change my routine this week. My Sifu didn't like how I was punching one day in class and told me to cut out weights until I fix it (too much muscle, he said). I'm keeping my Deadlifts and Leg day stays the same, but everything else on Pull day is with body weight and Push day has completely changed (no bench or accessories, everything is a variation of push ups and dips). We'll see how this goes.