Protein Shakes

Options
Hi - I am still fairly new to this and have been advised to go on protein shakes, the problem is, i have tried a few before and i cannot find anything that doesn't make me feel ill.

Anyone have any advice on flavours/brands/cheapest place to get them?
(I live in the UK, so some places i can't get from unless they can be ordered online)

Thanks
:smile:

Replies

• kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Cellucor cor-fetti tastes like cake batter. I mix it with skim milk.

When you felt ill, were you drinking it quickly? Did you have an empty stomach?

Something else you can do is mix protein powder into your cooking.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Do they make you feel sick because they give you an upset stomach? Or because you don't like the taste?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am still fairly new to this and have been advised to go on protein shakes, the problem is, i have tried a few before and i cannot find anything that doesn't make me feel ill.

Anyone have any advice on flavours/brands/cheapest place to get them?
    (I live in the UK, so some places i can't get from unless they can be ordered online)

Thanks
    :smile:

Cheapest is generally not the way to go. Cheap powders tend not to taste very good and also don't dissolve well in liquids so they are very clumpy unless you blend every shake.

I use two different ones

1. Isopure No-Carb (choose your flavor.) Every flavor I've tried is pretty good, two scoops is 50g protein and it will dissolve in water by stirring. I use the mango-peach flavor to make breakfast smoothies because I can add a heap of spinach or kale and it combines fairly well with the fruity flavor.

2. Progenex Recovery: Have tried all the flavor, strawberry is not to good, chocolate is the way to go. I use this post WOD for recovery. Blends easily in a shake cup. I use a double serving to get to 50g protein.
  • SMKean90
    SMKean90 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks everyone, will give those a go! :happy:

Nope i would eat, wait 30-60 mins, do workout, drink shake after, i meant 'sick' as in the taste was really quite bad and made me almost gag... I tried it slowly the first time, but after that i tried to 'chug' it.
  • SMKean90
    SMKean90 Posts: 55
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks - Do you know any good recipes?
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I love Progenex products, but honestly, they're just too damn expensive. As others have said, cheaper isn't the best way to go. I've learned to go with middle of the line products and tend to buy in bulk, either 5lb or 10lb tubs. So far my favorites have been:

Cellucor - Chocolate Chip Mint
    BSN Syntha 6 - Chocolate Peanut Butter (My favorite)

Both of these only require water....I prefer a few ice cubes to make it nice and cold.

I used to add peanut butter, vanilla, cinnamon, bananas and other fruits, but since discovering the above two, I don't mix them with anything else.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK, the stuff I've had from Go Nutrition is pretty good and not too pricey, but please please don't go for one of their fancy flavours - I tried the rhubarb and custard once, it was vile. Someone at the gym took it off my hands. The vanilla ice cream and the chocolate are quite nice.

I've also bought from Bulk Powders. Their chocolate one is OK too. I usually make them quite thick with water as they are more palatable to me that way.

I find it hard to fit protein shakes into my calorie allowance though as I still prefer to eat real food with the meagre rations I'm on. Got too much fat to lose.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    sunwarrior.

it is so finely powdered and I love the taste. I have only tried the natural one. mmmm
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I love Progenex products, but honestly, they're just too damn expensive. As others have said, cheaper isn't the best way to go. I've learned to go with middle of the line products and tend to buy in bulk, either 5lb or 10lb tubs. So far my favorites have been:

Both of these only require water....I prefer a few ice cubes to make it nice and cold.

I used to add peanut butter, vanilla, cinnamon, bananas and other fruits, but since discovering the above two, I don't mix them with anything else.

Progenex is a bit pricy, but I can afford it. I might give both the ones you suggest a try. Having it dissolve with a spoon in water or in a shake cup is pretty much required for me.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    sunwarrior.

it is so finely powdered and I love the taste. I have only tried the natural one. mmmm

I think I read the book by the buy who founded it. Impressive but somewhat insane :)
  • Petrusilly
    Petrusilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'll toss in a second vote for BSN Syntha-6.

I had stomach issues with other brands, but really like the taste and protein blend of this one. It's not all-natural, but the cost (22g protein per serving * 52 servings for $50) and taste make it worthwhile for me.

It's really delicious!
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options

Thanks - Do you know any good recipes?
    [/quote]

Honestly, not really because I drink my protein with skim milk... but you can sprinkle half a scoop over cereal or throw it into any baked good you make. Things like that. Also if you google "protein cake mugs" you will find BILLIONS of microwaveable cake recipes using it.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just ordered Isopure Natural Chocolate and Low Carb Toasted Coconut (I'm hoping it tastes like a pina colada! haha) Both had good reviews.

My son can't stand to drink the protein drinks, but he loves a Quest bar. Most have 21 grams of protein. They are made with Whey Protein and are 1 gram of sugar, high fiber and gluten free (I believe all are...I would double check the label). Just a thought. Cookie Dough and Cookies and Cream are delicious. Again, maybe pricey, but sometimes it's worth it. GNC was having a special...buy 2 boxes, get 1 free. It made them just under $2 a bar.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey is very affordable and has tons of good flavors. Extreme Milk Chocolate is the bomb!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Tomorrow I'm going to try adding a couple of scoops of protein to my iced coffee to see that works. Chocolate and coffee should go well together :)
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I'm going to try adding a couple of scoops of protein to my iced coffee to see that works. Chocolate and coffee should go well together :)

I've done this... yes it's good!
  • bostonwolf
    Options

I'm going to give the BSN Syntha 6 a try when I run out of the progenex chococlate. the price is certainly right.
  • Petrusilly
    Petrusilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I'm going to give the BSN Syntha 6 a try when I run out of the progenex chococlate. the price is certainly right.

cinnamon + BSN vanilla tastes like a horchata. sooo good. I recently bought Muscle Pharm from Costco. Not bad, and the macros are better... but it does taste a lot more "fake" than the BSN.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've also tried Muscle Pharm, but wasn't a fan of the taste. I hate the fake sugar taste.

I also use Progenex Recovery because the taste can't be beat (for me). Loco Mocha is my go to. So good!!
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of Progenex but hate that there is sucralose in it. I found two really good, tasty protein powders that have minimal ingredients:

Reserveage Grass-fed Whey - Chocolate

Jay Robb Whey - Chocolate

They're on the pricey side but no more than Progenex. They are definitely the most pure form of whey and BCAAs that I've found. They are sweetened with stevia and it's really minimal.

I mix one scoop with water, a banana mixed berries & ice and it is SO tasty!