Running and compression socks

Options
_Resolve_
_Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
Hey all,

Last night when I was running during our WOD I pulled something in my calf. This is the second time its happened, same leg same area. I know I have to take some time off to heal up but when I do go back I am thinking about wearing compression socks. Has anyone had any success wearing them for general use while working out?

Replies

• FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use compression calf sleeves when I know I am going to do long distance or high intensity. I also stretch really good after my workout to make sure I do not get Charlie-horses... YIKES!!!

I picked up my compression sleeves at sports authority and love them.

MAKE sure you always do some mobility AFTER the workouts. The muscles are nice and warm so this is the best time to get it in.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have only used them while running and noticed a difference during and after the runs (*compared to not wearing them). They are not "true" compression socks or sleeves. They are Reebok's athletic compression socks. One of my next purchases will be actual compresison calf sleeves.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    Thanks guys, I ordered some rogue socks today so ill have them to wear once im healed up.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oops! I hate to say this after you have ordered them, since they are rather expensive.
    But . . .
    I have never understood the rationale behind compression socks for running. Old people wear compression socks because they have venous disease, and their veins are compromised, so blood does not return up the leg the way it should. But runners do not have that problem. In fact, the flexing of their muscles probably aids their venous return. So, there is not reason I can think of that they would help.
    Moreover, I was recently on another thread about compression socks. A few people there noted that there has never been any demonstrated advantage to wearing them.
    That said, many people like them and think they provide something -- better recovery. And, they might keep your calves warm, which might help reduce the risk of injury.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Yeah, might just be that you tweaked the muscle and need to let it heal.

I did that a while back and had to gear down for about two weeks to see any real improvement, and even now if I push to hard or run too hard I can feel my left calf wanting to cramp up and have to alter my stride to avoid it.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    I hate taking time off! I think ill go just work on core/upper body for the next couple of weeks and give my leg a rest. I'll try the socks and see how it feels once im confident whatever is going on is healed up. The socks were pretty expensive but I figured I could also use them on days we do deads so my legs don't get as chewed up.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    What are you guys thoughts on wearing them post long run to promote healing? I had a few running friends tell me they are helpful and now that I am engaging in 3 different types of workouts a week (including running) I want to keep my body as healthy and injury free as possible.

Thanks.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your soleus. I have pulled mine multiple times. A few things I've learned....

First time was prior to a 1/2 marathon. I kept trying to jump back to training after a few days or a week of training only to reinjure it. I ended up staying off of it for about 4-5 weeks right before my race. I bought the sleeve the night before the race at the vendor fair and wore it...and had no problems at all with my soleus.

I pulled it two more times at CF about a year later. Once doing box jumps, once doing double unders. Maybe coincidence, but I had just bought new Nanos. Long story, but I now have inserts that I use after having plantar fasciitis, and can wear my Nanos again, but if I know there is any amount or running, I switch to other shoes.

Every time I injure it, I do wear the sleeve and it helps. There is another guy in my box who tends to pull his a lot too, and he wears one as well. I do think it helps.